*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531521-The-Blue-Dragon
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1531521
This is a story written for a flash fiction contest.
The tale that I tell is of the elusive “Blue” Dragon. While the color of it’s skin may come in many shades, as you will see, this is a most appropriate title.

The “Blue” Dragon differs from that of dragons of fantasy for many reasons. Firstly, there are no wings to speak of. Secondly, It’s slender body is smooth and supple, with no scales. Thirdly, and most importantly, is in it’s mannerisms. Let me explain.

The “Blue” Dragon has a very predictable pattern of habits. They feast on the fallen lima beans of this island, that have softened on the ground from torrential rain that plagues this area year round. They are solitary creatures, though not of their own choosing.

One particular interaction comes to mind when I speak of these creatures.

I was documenting a certain “Blue” Dragon on the south side of the island. The weather was particularly dreary that day. The subject was walking about, grabbing a lima bean here and there, and generally minding it’s own business, when a beast jumped out from behind a tree.

The beast was easily ten times the size of the dragon. In startled amazement the dragon let out a raucous belch, which can be expected when your diet consists solely of lima beans.

Snarls and growls came from the beast. Followed by incessant yelping.

The beast fled in the opposite direction, surely deterred by the noxious odor of the dragon’s flatulence. The dragon appeared saddened even more, knowing that this was another creature that would never be his companion.

As I turned away from this scene with a tear in my eye for the dragon’s solitude, I vowed never again to let my wife bring our pet Chihuahua on another expedition.

word count: 291
© Copyright 2009 The Foolish Ford Prefect (fordprefect at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1531521-The-Blue-Dragon