*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564104-Wheelers-Road-Chapter-4
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Fiction · Other · #1564104
Wheeler's Road Chapter 4
Wheeler’s Road Chapter 4


Two hours later, the Doctor was back.

I started to stand but he motioned me down.

Sit..

Well?

I’m glad you brought her to me when you did. She was a very, very sick little girl. Her blood levels are off the chart for xxxx when I asked her about she said that she didn’t know anything about it. The pills she gave me are used to treat diseased horses. At her weight, a It was only a matter of time before she had a deadly heart attack. The same doctor that gave her the pills would be the one that testified that she had a heart condition. Wheeler, I don’t mind telling you that this whole thing stinks. I took her pills away and haven’t told her anything more than she had the wrong medication but someone has some explaining to do.

You have got to take charge of her until she is safe. I have given her some medicine that is going to make her P until it is out of her system.

Yes, sir. How much do we owe you, Doc?

Mr. Wheeler, your money is no good here. Just promise me that the next time you are through you stop by and I tell you about my daughter.

Yes, Sir. You must certainly have a deal.

Walked down the hall and found Megan lacing up her tennis shoes.

Yo. Kiddo. How you doing?

I am tired and feel like I have been put through a wringer.

Hopefully, this is all past. Can you make it to the truck? She nodded.

How bout Dr. Walker? Can we trust him? Will he call someone to tell them about his midnight visitors?

I think Dr. Walker is one of the most trustworthy people we are likely to cross. It will be ok.

She stood up and almost fell over when I caught her by the arm. Putting my arm around her waist, I helped her to the door.

Thanks Doc.

God Speed Wheeler.

We got back to Ms. Annie and I turned off the alarms. I then helped her up to the stepping board and then into the passenger seat.

Do you want to sit up here or do you want to lie down I asked.

Let me sit for a while if you don’t mind. Will the seat recline? Yep, it will go back, I pushed the button, and the seat went down and back. She lay on the seat and with the pillow, I had given her and pulled the blanket up to her chin.

“Or you can just lay down there…”

She grinned “you are a sarcastic sob did you know?”

“I have been told that before..” I said with a grin. “Sticks and Stones, etc.”

I cranked up the big rig and pulled from the lot into the street. There was not a soul within crying distance. May have had something to do with the fact that it was 3:40 in the morning. Maybe not.

I took the road outside of town going east through the mountains.

At about six, the sun started to crack over the eastern horizon and I decided to rest for a while. I pulled Annie off to the side of the road on a small spur I knew of.

Alice told me that we were 29 hours outside of Knoxville at the present configuration. I told her to mind her own business and she went off to sulk. (Or at least that’s what I liked to think.) I also told her to arm all the systems and what to tell Megan if she awoke. I then checked and made sure that Megan was sleeping and was cool and went off to the back to lie down. It still smelled of her.

“Jake, get a grip…Gentleman, scholar, and all that…” I went to sleep and slept uneasily. Had a dream that she was in trouble and that I just could not get there. Try as hard as I could, I could not get there.




© Copyright 2009 delta44 (delta44 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1564104-Wheelers-Road-Chapter-4