*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1565971-Confrontation
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1565971
Dialogue-only story about a tense confrontation.
"Please."

" . . . "

"I've never lied to you, not once, have I? You have to believe me."

"I warned you about this."

"Jason, I'm begging you. I wasn't the one that did it, I swear."

"Shut up."

"Please. Oh, God, don't do this. Jason-"

"I said shut up. See this? You remember this gun, don't you? Yeah, I know you do. Stop struggling and just listen, Mary. Don't think I have a problem using this."

"No, no no no..."

"It's no use. Those cuffs aren't going anywhere and neither are you. I know the truth, Mary. Skip told me everything, the whole damn thing, and you can't get out of it this time. You were the one who sold us out. All along - you."

"It's a lie! Skip lied to you, Jason."

"Oh? And I guess the cops always showed up by coincidence, is that it?"

"No! I-"

"You what? I know you've been hanging around with that cop."

"What?"

"Don't give me that stupid goddamn face. I've got witnesses, photos, everything. Skip is just the beginning."

"No, Jason, Skip's the whole thing! He's the one! He's crazy - he thinks he loves me. I never told that cop a thing, never , but Skip's jealous. He turned you against me, he-"

"God. You make me sick."

"Oh, please, please... you have to believe me."

"But I don't."

"Skip always hated you, Jason, you know it. He resents you, your money, your success-"

"He's my best friend."

"And I'm your sister! You'd shoot your own sister? Jason?"

" . . . "

"What would Mom say if she could see you now?"

"Nothing! The same damn thing she always said. She didn't care, Mary, and it's time you realized that. You see all this? This is all we've got, and she didn't give us any of it. I did this. Me. And you just couldn't handle that, could you? You just had to go screwing around."

"It's always you, isn't it, Jason? And you can't trust anybody, right?"

"Yeah, that's right."

"But we've always had each other, Jason. Just each other, you and me, remember?"

"I always thought so. But now..."

"But now look at us. Look what you're doing. Please, Jason, put the gun away. Remember how it used to be, before Skip, before the business, before all this. Remember that summer at the lake?"

"Of course I do."

"And how you said you'd always keep me safe? Remember?"

"Yeah, I -... I do, Mary, it's just- I...."

"Don't cry, Jason. Just put the damn gun down, okay? Unlock me. We can still fix all this."

"Skip-"

"Skip lied. He's always lied."

" . . . "

"There, Jason, it's okay, see? It's all going to be okay."

© Copyright 2009 IndigoChain (indigochain at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1565971-Confrontation