*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569443-Stranger
Rated: E · Short Story · Supernatural · #1569443
Written for Daily Flash Fiction - "Have we met before?"
I leaned against the old oak tree, watching as he played basketball with the children.  He seemed so happy, laughing and smiling.  It had been so long since I’d seen that smile.  I tried to stay away, to keep things from getting complicated.  I only got myself in trouble when I played the stalker.

I shook my head, disappointed in myself.

The basketball flew over the fence and rolled up to me.  I panicked, unsure of what to do.  Do I throw it back over the fence?  Do I walk away?

Before I could make a decision, he ran around to exit the basketball court and jogged over to me.  My feet seemed glued to the ground – I couldn't leave.  I squatted to pick up the ball and he smiled as I handed it to him.  His beautiful blue eyes were just as I had remembered, though they seemed older now.  He had definitely aged, but he wasn’t any less handsome than the day I married him. 

“Thanks,” he said.  “Do you know one of the kids?  You were watching and I didn’t know if you were a parent, or…”

“Oh, no.”  I shook my head.  “I just… like basketball, that’s all.”

He nodded.  “Well, you’re more than welcome to join us on the court, have a seat on the bench.  I’m sure the kids wouldn’t mind.”

“Thanks, but I really should be leaving.”  I turned to walk away.

“I’m sorry, but… have we met before?”

I gave him a sad smile.  “No, I don’t believe we have.”

“Oh… there’s just something so familiar about you.  I must be mistaken.  Have a nice day.”

I nodded.  “You do the same.”

One of the most difficult aspects of being a guardian angel is that he would never know it was me.

Word Count: 300

Written for:
Daily Flash Fiction Challenge  (13+)
Enter your story of 300 words or less.
#896794 by Arakun the Twisted Raccoon

© Copyright 2009 a. waits (aveli at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1569443-Stranger