*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584805-Dangers-of-the-Sea
Rated: E · Poetry · Contest · #1584805
Poem for a contest. It is a story of one special voyage.

Dangers of the Sea


There is salt water in my veins instead of bright, red blood.
My soul yearns to be free like a strong, ocean wave.
My birth was witness to the unspeakable tsunami flood
And my father rests now with others, in the calm seafarer’s grave.

I stand motionless on the deck of the sailing ship, The Trident.
The noises of the approaching storm awaken the rugged crew below.
The shore behind us would never fully make us all content
Since losing our pride and honor was our biggest, seaman’s foe.

Our hearts sank with the thoughts of the dangerous whirlpool, Charybdis.
Our trembling bodies climbed the masts to tie the sails that embraced the storm.
Our tired, drenched captain stood stone-like at his place he would not dismiss
Since our wondrous treasure depended on how each man would now perform.

The black clouds twisted in the air to produce an unimaginable, deadly sky.
And no one saw Poseidon rise with his chariot so beautiful and strong.
He stared at the name of our fine, young ship and raised his own trident high.
His exhaled breath, calmed the seas, and pushed us forward to where we belong.

The storm clouds have now disappeared. We sailed our ship to the harbor we always call home.
Our trip was finished. And we welcomed the sight of the town our hearts held dear.
Our wives and children will see us until the tides beckon us to once again roam.
And lucky ship, The Trident, goes out to travel on the danger-filled, mysterious frontier.


Charybdis was a powerful whirlpool big enough to swallow a ship. Legend has it near the Strait of Medina between Italy and Sicily.

© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1584805-Dangers-of-the-Sea