*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608211-Matildas-Eyes-Prologue-Ch-1
Rated: E · Other · Sci-fi · #1608211
In a post apocalyptic world, one man will risk everything to create paradise,
prologue

The sirens shattered the everyday calm and peace of Eden, replacing it with chaos. Dark clouds filled the sky, blotting out the sun. Fear panic washed through the streets like a tidal wave, flooding the town in sheer panic. Not a single soul in Eden had ever seen so many of Matilda's eyes at once. Now free, massive swarms flew high above the running and screaming townspeople with a single purpose.... Destroy.

"Everyone remain calm." came a familiar voice after the sirens had ceased their mournful cries. " You all know what to do. Head toward the Center and remain there until Matilda has dealt with whatever threat there is." The voice immediately cut off.

The townspeople continued their mad rush toward the Center in a slightly more civilized manner. Above them the skies continued to darken as the swarms of Matilda's eyes raced toward the massive walls that surrounded the city.

Ch. 1
The raiders had come to a halt at the base of the wall that surrounded their prize. There were over five hundred in all. Like most raiding parties that managed to survive the war and plague they were young, few over the age of 25. The Strikers were one of the largest and deadliest groups around. They survived by raiding villages and towns that survived the war and by stealing whatever they could find in the way of weapons, food, and new recruits. Though they were young they were not children. Survival had taught them one thing, kill or die it was that simple.

Despite having killed hundreds of people, and laying siege to over fifty settlements, Thorr felt uneasy. Stories of the walled city had reached his ears long before he planned this raid. Though none of his recons reported anything unusual, the rumors persisted, crazy tales of a beast that protected the city and its inhabitants, a god of smoke and fangs that devoured its victims alive. Thorr knew that was stupid and anyone who believed it was a fool...fools starved or froze to death. He was sure however, that the city had a powerful defense, most likely military weapons left over from the war. It didn't matter what type of weapons they had. The city was his and he had his own weapons.

Feeling re-assured, he watched as his men fanned out, forming ranks some twenty yards from the wall. He stood confidently behind them and quickly scanned the wall with high-powered binoculars. No sign of resistance. When they first arrived he had heard the faint sound of a siren or horn. He was expecting them to react to his presence by now but all remained quiet. His uneasiness returned. It would be best to end this quickly. He would send a full out assault.

Gunfire and small explosions erupted as gas propelled grappling hooks were fired over the wall. Once secure the raiders began to climb toward its summit. This was only the beginning. With a wave of his hand he signaled for the next wave of the attack. Three large heavy-duty military Hummers rumbled over the rocky terrain. Each was equipped with a 50. caliber machine gun and grenade launcher. Thor smiled as they approached the wall. He was completely unaware of Matilda's eyes that watched his every move.

The first group of raiders reached the summit of the wall disappearing from view over the top. What happened next sent chills down his spine. First came the screams, loud and shrill...cries of pain. What happened next Thorr was unsure was real or even possible.

A cloud, black as midnight carrying with it the sound of a thousand angry bees swept over the wall and descended upon his comrades like a black fog... at that moment Thorr believed in monsters. He watched in fear as the raiders, still making their way up the wall, began to flail and scream. Most fell from the ropes. None hit the ground. The cloud had consumed them. Coming to his senses Thor signaled a retreat. It came too late. The two trucks had turned away from their deadly strike toward the wall. One lost control and flipped end over end coming to a halt in a fiery crash. The second vehicle headed in Thor's direction. As the truck grew closer, Thor could make out the drivers face. It was Damien, his face twisted in pain and terror. At first Thor thought the truck was on fire. The cab began to fill with black smoke. There was no fire; the cloud flew from the vehicle leaving no sign of the driver. The truck headed straight for Thor.

The battlefield was empty. Not a single raider was left... save himself. Thor watched the speeding truck barrel towards him. He stood his ground, letting out a loud battle cry as the world around him went black.
© Copyright 2009 Joseph Jimerson (jwjimerson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608211-Matildas-Eyes-Prologue-Ch-1