*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617066-Matildas-Eyes-Ch-2
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1617066
Baranby's love for his creation is tested against his love for his fellow citzens.
Ch. 2

  The center was a large, square, unattractive structure that sat in the center of Eden.  Elegantly manicured gardens surrounded the gray fortress in an attempt to give it a less intimidating look and make it more appealing to the eye.  Flowers of all hues, shapes, and sizes lined the six concrete walkways that lead to the building’s entrances. The citizens of Eden had debated long and hard with Barnaby and Matilda to convince them that the gardens would be an improvement not only for its aesthetic reasons but also for the morale of the people.  Barnaby was the first to relent. Matilda, however, had difficulty understanding how flowers and green grass would be of any benefit. In the end Barnaby convinced her. It was rumored that he had used the shiny metal tool he usually carried to convince her. As of this moment the shiny stick, as the children of Eden had come to call it was nowhere in sight.

  Barnaby stood on the center stage watching as the people of Eden continued to file in through the six entrances of the building. Around him several swarms of Matilda's eyes buzzed a swirled like black tornadoes keeping a constant vigil. After several more minutes everyone of the five thousand seats were filled.  The great hall of the Center was sealed and the murmuring voices of adults and laughter of children filled the room.

"Quiet down everyone. Lets have some order here,” boomed Barnaby's voice through the crowd.  He needed no microphone since Matilda's eyes served as an amplifier for his voice. It was a new adaptation that Matilda had designed.  Barnaby looked to the now silent crowd seeing looks of fear and shock.

"I apologize for that my friends. I didn't mean to startle you Matilda just designed the voice amplification system and it still has a few bugs that need to be worked out.”  He laughed. The crowd responded with a few nervous giggles.

"Now I'm sure you have many questions.” he continued.  " But let's do this in an orderly fashion. It has been a long time since we have had any type of real emergency since Matilda took responsibility for our security. I'm sure we all agree she has done a very fine job."

  Some of the townspeople applauded in agreement.  Others simply nodded the their heads.  Arthur Jackson, ex Marine and self-proclaimed war hero, remained stoic.  He sat in the first row nearest the stage with several of the townspeople who opposed Matilda being placed in charge of security on top of the other tasks she performed.  The fact that she replaced Jackson as head of security may have had something to do with his resentment. Not only towards Matilda, but Barnaby as well.

"Just what is the emergency?" shouted Jackson never bothering to raise his hand. He grinned at the look of annoyance on Barnaby's face.

"Before I respond to Mr. Jackson's outburst." growled Barnaby. I want everyone to remain calm and understand that Matilda has the situation under control. "

"Come on Barnaby, tell us what's going on." shouted another voice.

"Very well, but I will not stand for any more of these outburst.  I understand that some of you are frightened so I will forgive you your lack of protocol. To put it simply, we are under attack. As we speak a raiding party is attempting to breach the wall."

  Jackson stood outraged, his large biceps bulging through an undersized shirt.  He turned and faced the crowd.  " We should have been told about this from the beginning. We need to get armed men on the wall, send out scouts to find out where they're attacking. They could be in our city right now."

"Oh stop being so dramatic Jackson,” said Roland Welles standing up for the first time. He glanced to his wife Stacy who sat quietly wearing a look of frustration mixed with anger then continued. " In the last twenty years no one has ever breached the wall or set foot in our city. "

" That doesn't mean it can't happen,” retorted Jackson. "We expect you to take your brothers side Roland.  But...” his shouts were instantly cut off.

  The deep buzz of Matilda's eyes entering the Center was loud enough to shake the walls and seats beneath them. Every pair of eyes looked upward as the roof the center opened and the swarm swept into the room then disappeared down the specialized tunnels to the sub-basement that was one of their many homes.

"The threat to Eden has been eliminated Barnaby."  echoed a young girls voice through the crowd.

"Matilda, I asked you to call me father."

"Of course.... Father."

Barnaby smiled.






© Copyright 2009 Joseph Jimerson (jwjimerson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617066-Matildas-Eyes-Ch-2