*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617922-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-twelve
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1617922
Harriet reacts to her family. Illness goes to church.
Heaven’s Gate twelve

Friday afternoon and evening were spent doing activities that the family had planned but without the same enthusiasm as they had the year before. The only bright change was that their new dog Buddy had taken their minds off of Harriet’s condition. Mr. and Mrs. Miller had approached the other children to quietly inform them that Harriet had one small additional problem that the doctor would check on the next Monday. The children loved each other and promised to not tease Harriet and to face her when they wanted to carry on a conversation.

On Saturday, Mrs. Miller had decided to put out her nice china and silverware for Sunday so the children helped take the dishes down from the higher level of the cabinets. They next look at their garden outside and remove any baby weeds. Buddy thought that they were playing and started to dig in an area that some young plants started to grow. The boys thought that it was funny but Mr. Miller had to tell they boys that they needed to invent a way to keep Buddy out of their garden or he might be tied up until he learned good dog manners. The boys had to think a while on this problem.

Finally Harriet came downstairs and outdoors to meet Buddy.

“I can’t believe that we got a dog so fast. He is just the cutest thing. I hope that he learns to play just as Willie did.” she remarked as she tried to keep Buddy from jumping up and licking her.

“I think that he will learn fast. He already knows that squirrels are not supposed to get into our garden and barks at them. I think that he also barked at the newspaper boy the other day.” Timothy remarked but forgetting to keep his face up so Harriet could see his lips.

“What? What are you saying? “

“Oh, I said that he barked at the newspaper boy,” in a very loud voice that made his mother look out the kitchen window.

Harriet leaned back quickly and put the puppy down. “Don’t talk to me like that!” and then walked away.

Timothy opened his mouth in surprise. William walked over and slapped him lightly on the shoulder. “Mother and Father said to be nice. Now Harriet is upset.”

“I only repeated for her. I am nice!” he said as he picked up Buddy to play in another part of the yard.

Harriet walked into the kitchen. She decided to go find Catherine to have a girl to girl chat. Catherine was in the family room getting ready to practice her piano. She loved music and had dreamed of being a great singer one day. She had listened to the radio and was enchanted with the fact that someone could be so far away and people could hear them. She also sang in the children’s choir with Harriet every time the church had a special holiday program. Easter had some lovely music but her favorite time of the year was Christmas.

“Oh Catherine. Let’s go upstairs and talk.” said Harriet as she walked up to the piano where Harriet was hunting for her music in the seat.

“Maybe we can later. Mother said that I can practice some music on the piano. My fingers missed practicing while we were upstairs with the measles. I can’t sing yet, but just playing will make me feel better. Do you want to listen?” she said and then put her hand over her mouth as she remembered what she just said.

“I will try for a minute.” responded Harriet as she sat in a chair a couple of feet away.

Catherine found the lessons she had placed there last week. She first ran through some scales. Then she next did a couple of simple exercises that she had learned when she first began lessons. Then she played some simple tunes and stopped to reprimand herself when she made a mistake.

Harriet knew Catherine’s practice routine by heart. Both girls had lessons for one year until Harriet saw that Catherine was progressing faster than she did. Anyway Harriet did not care to become a singer. Her dream was to become a nurse and help sick people. She was fascinated with little children and so she thought that she might become a midwife like Claire Stiller or become a school nurse. For a hobby Harriet loved to read and write. She was the first in line to go to the library and hurried to the poetry section when the class was allowed the freedom to chose any book.

Harriet heard some sounds but it was not as pretty as before. She looked out the window and saw that it was a lovely day. She wanted to go out and sit on the front porch but thought that she needed to comb her hair better. She left Catherine with her piano and music and walked upstairs.

Easter Sunday morning was cool and a little foggy. The Reverend Angus Trent was preparing for his final year as rector. He had enjoyed guiding his flock for thirty years and had decided to prepare a new pastor for this church that he had seen go through deaths, births, disasters, and best of all growth. He and his wife and six children thought that this community had the true spirit of loving the Lord and their neighbor. Even when people came to him for spiritual guidance, he seemed to be able to put some part of the teachings of the Bible in use. His only regret was that during his life time felt that he had lost some of the sheep of the congregation. A few people could not see God’s love and left because of disenchantment with religion. He even talked to other religious leaders and they had the same feeling.

Sunrise service however gave Reverend Trent a warm feeling at this early time. He had carefully written his sermon and reviewed the music that would be played. The church had been cleaned the day before with special care by the altar guilds. Extra flowers had been sent in from out of town for the altar. The only thing that Reverend Trent worried about was if there might be a few families staying home because of the measles outbreak. Coming to church would be honoring God, but spreading a disease that could make someone very ill would make this holiday a sad one. He had already been informed by two families who were in quarantine that they would conduct a small family service at home.

The choirmaster and the music director came in with their robes on their arm. They would put the robes on in the music office. The deacon came in next with some coughing and a very red looking face. He blew his nose and tried to hurry by Reverend Trent.

“Mr. Dobbs, I hear the sound of coughing. Are you okay? Do you think you should be here if you have something that you could spread to others?

“Oh Reverend Trent, I was fine as I walked here from my house but I think that the moisture in the air could have contributed to an exacerbation of my coughing. I have had allergy problems before you know.”

“Indeed. There is not a person around who does not feel allergic to something. But your face is redder than normal. I hope this is not the beginning of measles or something worse. We must think of our congregation. “ said Reverend Trent as he straightened things near the altar.

“Yes I understand. But this is a very special day. And there will be many people here. You need two people for a large service.”

“I agree but not if you are sick. If you have fever and feel any other symptom, I must request that you ‘do unto others as you would have them do unto you,’ and return home to become a well man. I can handle this church. Now are you with fever?”

Mr. Dobbs did the only thing that he would completely regret for the rest of his life. He lied. He decided that he wanted to share in the glory of the day and to help Reverend Trent with his final Easter service. He felt that if he could drink some water and sit in prayer for a few minutes, then the Lord would give him strength and a clear head to participate in this day’s worship activities.

“ I am going to be fine. I would like to sit in the office to allow my cough to subside and then you see my normal, happy face. Thank you so much for your concern. “ he said as he turned to retire to the office that he shared with Reverend Trent.

Reverend Trent was going to follow the young man but he was interrupted by Dolly Johnson who was always the first to come into the church. She was also an active member in many committees but a lady who could not find the end to a sentence. Her conversations would last twice as long as anyone he had met.

“Oh Happy Easter Reverend Trent. What a wonderful day to be in church and sing praises to our Lord.” she said as she almost bounced every step of the way.

“Yes Happy Easter Mrs. Johnson. It is a beautiful day. And the church looks beautiful.”

“Yes could I have a minute to tell you.” she began.

“Oh I would like to but I think I left my prayer book in my office. You know I think that I saw some prayer books out of order. Could you check this side to see that they are all in the right place?”

“Certainly, I would be happy to.” she said as she rushed to the front to check that all of the books were placed exactly where members could get to them easily. Mrs. Johnson was indeed happy to see that her church was beautiful and in order.
© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617922-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-twelve