*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1618220-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-thirteen
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Entertainment · #1618220
Easter day has people with illnesses.
HG thirteen

The early morning service was as beautiful as it was in the years past. The parishioners who attended were there with the whole family. The ladies were decked out in such beautiful outfits with hats to match. The community was not one of expensive dresses like those seen in New York or even London, but the ladies had a way of looking very charming. Some of the little girls could be seen to be just as well dressed as their mothers.

The Miller girls’ nemesis, Margaret, walked up the sidewalk for the church in a light green dress that complimented her light brown hair. She walked into the church and searched around for her school mates who she wanted to taunt with the parasol that she just got the other night. It wasn’t necessary to have one for church on a morning like this but Margaret insisted that she could not go to church unless she had hers because all of the other girls would have one. Since she was an only child to a couple who had her late in their lives she won this argument hands down. In fact most of the time she won her wishes with little or no fuss.

“My oh my! Where are Catherine Rose and Harriet Althea? I must show them my attractive parasol. “ she exclaimed as she walked close to the front.”

“Hello Margaret,” said Mrs. Johnson. “did I hear you ask for the Miller girls?” as she picked up a small piece of paper off the floor.

“Why Mrs. Johnson, Happy Easter to you. “ responded Margaret “I was just going to greet my school friends and show them my parasol. Have you seen either one of them? They were out of school for a few days and I thought for sure that they might be well enough to come to Easter services at least.”

“I haven’t but I think that if they were sick with the same measles that Ginger Arkland had then they might be at home under quarantine. I would keep my children at home until every tiny red spot had cleared and their fever was completely normal.”

“Of course. That is a very wise idea.”

“Yes, well there is the reverend in the back of the church waiting for the others to enter. I must talk to him. Good day.”

“Good day Mrs. Johnson,” Margaret replied as she noticed that Penny was already seated and was opening her hymnal to the page of the first hymn.

The rest of the service was the most beautiful that Reverend Trent had seen in many years. The parishioners were happy and left with the feeling of the joy of the season. As the last few were leaving he noticed that Mr. Dobbs was again coughing and almost redder than before.

“Mr. Dobbs, I see that you are not feeling well again. I thought that you had your allergies under control.” he said as he was removing his vestments.

“Indeed I did also.” he said as he used a handkerchief to blot some of the sweat that had begun again on his forehead. “I do think that I am not well enough to complete my duties today and will depart for home. I am so sorry if this will cause any inconvenience.”

“I do not think so but in the future, remember that in this instance it is not better to give than to receive.” said Reverend Trent as he patted his friend on the back.

Mr. Dobbs put on his coat and headed out the door. He finally allowed himself to feel the oncoming of an illness that would put him in bed for a few days.

Outside as the other families were standing around, a few were admiring the beautiful day that had begun. Some of the children were being called to get ready for the first service’s egg hunt. The youngest children were in a smaller area with more obvious eggs. The older children were in the area on the side of the church. Many of the girls were careful to step where there was less grass growth because they did not want to get their shoes wet with the morning’s dew.

Margaret was talking to her friend Penny. She knew that Penny was also informed of the condition of the Miller girls. Both girls were tall and slender but Penny was more graceful and ladylike. Margaret had a small limp from the injury she received as a young child.

“I was sure that Catherine and Harriet would be here for the services. I know that they would have wanted to see my new outfit.” she said as she posed as a lovely model.

“Perhaps but they are recuperating from the measles. It seems that the girls and William all had it at the same time. Mother says that to have the measles when you are young is better than when you are older.”

“Oh is that so. Well, I probably will not get the measles because I am always healthy. My home is immaculate and I keep undeniably clean.” uttered Margaret as she took her white gloves off and put them in her little purse.

“I am sure that the Millers house is clean as well. But I see that my mother and father are waving for me to come. We are going to my Aunt’s house. She lives near the bay and we will lunch with her family. Have a nice day Margaret.” said Penny as she turned and walked to her parents.

Margaret saw her parents wave to her in the effort to get her to come to go home but she ignored them and went to the side of the church to watch the other children hunt eggs. It would take at least ten more minutes for Margaret to decide that she was bored and wanted to leave. She managed to step on one egg, and bump into another child as she was picking one up. With profound apologies she left but smiled at the incident.

The Millers did decide to sleep past the sunrise time. It was amazing that little Buddy had actually slept late too. Mrs. Miller did not have much nausea this morning but did start to feel itching and have a little headache. By the time she tried to get up, she felt warm and very weak.

Mr. Miller looked at his wife as she lay in bed and confirmed their suspicions. Mrs. Miller had the measles. She looked bad and felt as bad. When the children entered the room to pay her a visit and wish her a good morning, she was almost in tears. She knew that this was not a good time for an illness, but did not have the strength to proceed with what would be their traditional Easter meals.

“Frances, I know that you want to get up, but now is not the time to try for more than one reason. You must rest or you might hurt yourself and the baby. I know how to do the cooking, the children are strong enough to help and you can tell us anything we need to know from here.” he said as he held her hand and gave her that charming smile that gave her that extraordinary loving feeling.

Frances had very good intuition about things and this time she knew that William was right. She did not have to go far and rest would be the best option right now. She felt her stomach and except for the hungry feeling she decided to stay in bed. The house duties was in her husband’s hands.
© Copyright 2009 Dorianne (jumacu at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1618220-Heavens-Gate-Bridge-thirteen