*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619540-WhaWhereAM-I
by kwud
Rated: E · Other · Psychology · #1619540
a short story about waking up and being somewhere and not knowing where that is.
The tunnel was long, it was dark, and there was a permeating odour that you couldn’t put your finger on. You didn’t know where you were, you didn’t know how you had gotten there, and this felt too real to be a dream. Somehow you knew that your answers lay at the end of this long, dark tunnel, but the smell, the smell was almost too much. You breathe in more of it as you run, noting the ache in your legs, you must have been running for some time. It didn’t matter to you anymore; all you wanted was out of the tunnel, to be back, back where? You can’t remember from whence you came. Then, it all shatters, the tunnel falls away exposing...darkness? Or nothingness? It was something you couldn’t comprehend. Then suddenly it was all gone. You had awakened.

Sitting up in the bed you realize that you have no idea why you had a dream like that, it was the most vivid thing you had ever experienced. Surveying the room you see that you’re on a king sized bed, with a large brown comforter with trees on it. The room itself is not very exciting, small window, small dresser, small mirror, small woman beside you, small door and lastly a small closet. Noting all those small things your mind wanders and wonders if you’re this small, or if the room was really small. You sit in the semi darkness, thinking.

As you sit, thinking, you remember your survey of the room, you had not truly thought of this one thing you noted, it was the girl sleeping beside you, she had long black hair, you couldn’t really tell how long it was. She also had a slim figure, soft white skin and a nightgown on. You have no idea who this person is, she looks to be about 20 or so. As you take more time to study her, you wonder if you had shared a bed with her and that was how you had gotten here. But that couldn’t be right, you never simply passed out, even if you had gotten drunk, you would have remembered something. So why couldn’t you?

As the girl sleeps she is also dreaming of a tunnel, this one is also long and dark, but it doesn’t hold the strange permeating smell, it simply smelled like fish, as though water had run through it. She knew not where she was, or how she had come to be there. She was simply there, in her nightgown. she was running, her bare feet were soar and bruised, something was after her, who or what it was she didn’t know, she didn’t care, she just didn’t want to be caught. Then, the surface she was on falls away; she moves her legs but doesn’t move. She is falling, falling, falling. Then nothing, after, she awakens.

Sitting up in the bed she notes the partially naked body of a man, a man who was staring at her, looking afraid, he bore the expression she thought must have been on her face. as he is about to speak she thought for a moment and didn’t know who she was, who the was, or where they were.

You are shocked when she awakens forcefully from sleep, almost bending straight up at a right angle. You give her a couple seconds to regain her senses, and then ask in a deep yet soft voice "who are you?" the girl replies by asking who you are. You have no answer and soon learn that she does not have one either. Neither of you had expected to be here, nor had you expected to lose your memories. In the end you decide it would be of mutual benefit to rise from the bed and live together, to see if love grew and to wait till your memories returned. She readily agreed but asked if you were always to share a bed together. You feel your face redden as she laughs. You have a long hard life ahead of you.

Words: 680
Lines: 49
© Copyright 2009 kwud (kwud at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619540-WhaWhereAM-I