*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1634223-The-Essay
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Contest · #1634223
Entry for Daily Flash Fiction
         Shannon browsed the Internet for a contest to challenge his bored mind. He stayed on there for hours. He needed something to keep his mind off of his newly divorced college sweetheart, Dawn. Finally, he found a writing contest that required a 3,000 word essay.



         It wasn't as simple as he thought. He was writing about the spring in which he lost his father. Shannon used the contest to work through his feelings of not only missing his father, but the dedication and companionship that he got from his college sweetheart.



         Finally, he was finished with the essay. He printed it out and sealed it in an envelope. As he placed the envelope in the mail slot, he said a little prayer that he would win.



         Three weeks later, Shannon received a letter from the contest. The letter informed him there was an award banquet where he would receive a first place trophy and a $100 check. Shannon was proud of his accomplishment. The contest had included two tickets for the banquet. Immediately knew he whom he wanted to share this moment.



         Dawn opened her mailbox and pulled out an envelope with very familiar handwriting. She opened the envelope which contained a ticket to an awards banquet where Shannon would read his essay.



         Shannon eagerly searched the room for Dawn. His heart jumped at the sight of her; just as it had that Sunday night 17 years ago.



         Dawn saw Shannon as he was walking toward the table. She remembered that same awestruck look on Shannon's face from 17 years ago. As they hugged hello, Shannon and Dawn felt that same spark that will always be between them.



         After Shannon read his essay, Dawn gave him a long desired kissed. Shannon replied, “Dawn, I'm ready for that public commitment now.”

© Copyright 2010 Hildegarde33 (hildegarde33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1634223-The-Essay