*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1718426-The-Perfect-Evening
Rated: E · Short Story · Other · #1718426
Daily Flash Fiction entry
         Rusty Simmons welcomed the new day with enthusiasm.  He thought, “Today is the first day of the rest of my life.”

         Tonight Rusty was taking Merilee, his girlfriend of two years, to Paula Deen's Restaurant in Tunica tonight.  He was finally going to ask Merilee to marry him.

         Rusty's excitement was bubbling up again as he entered Merilee's apartment building.  He had the perfect evening planned.  First, they would go eat at Merilee's favorite restaurant.  Then they would go see the magic show.  After the magic show, they would go back to Memphis and ride in a horse carriage.

         While they waited for their bottle of wine, Merilee asked, “What's the occasion for such an extravagant evening?”

         “Because I have a question for you,” said Rusty.

         Merilee replied, “Rusty, I care about you, but no.”  She left the table.

         When Rusty got to his car, there was a boot on his car because of an unpaid parking ticket, so he took his bottle of wine and sat in front of a slot machine until the next morning.

         He heard a familiar voice call his name.  When he turned, Merilee was standing  behind him.

         “I want to apologize for walking out on you last night,” began Merilee.  “I was wondering if you could actually ask me the question you were going to ask last night?”

         Rusty nodded in agreement.  He pulled the little red velvet box out of his pocket, got down on one knee, saying, “Merilee, I would be greatly honored if you would agree to be my wife.”

         Merilee happily said, “Yes, I will gladly be your wife.”

         After Rusty placed the beautiful diamond ring on her finger, they embraced in a passionate kiss to a chorus of a thousand clapping hands.

293
© Copyright 2010 Hildegarde33 (hildegarde33 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1718426-The-Perfect-Evening