*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1635145-Lethal-Obsession
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1635145
Its just a short suspenseful story
Lethal Obsession

Swerving down the road at 80 miles an hour, drinking from a bottle of Jack, a hunting knife in the passenger seat.
“You bitch!” he yelled. “How could you do this to me?”. His mind flashed back to that moment; replaying over and over like a skipping record. “I loved you.” His brow furrowed. Pressing harder on the gas pedal, he increased his speed.
He screamed with such fury that the veins on his neck protruded and his face flushed. Everything in front of him blurred except the road ahead. The light of the moon barely penetrated through the tree limbs hanging over the road.
His knuckles turned white as he gripped the steering wheel. Picturing his knife plunging through her chest soothed his anger a fraction, but only a fraction. He pressed harder on the gas as flashes of her deceit, and her inevitable death, swirled through his mind like a tornado.
His tires squealed as he rounded a curve in the road. His back tire slung dirt from the side of the road as his bumper glanced a tree. Almost there, almost time, he thought to himself. A smile crept across his face. He accelerated more. This time, anticipation pushed his foot down. He surprised that he enjoyed hate, was even comfortable with it. It was almost intoxicating.
His headlights brought the front gate into view. He glared as he let out a slight growl and slammed on the brakes, nearly hitting the iron gate. He pressed a button on the keypad, and a female voice answered.
“Hello?”
“Open the gate!” he growled.
“Brad? I told you to leave me alone.” Brad heard the anger in her voice, but he also heard the fear.
Amy peeked out the window, the headlights of the dark car stared at her house.
“I’m calling the cops.” she said sternly.
The car sat a moment longer then left. Relief washed over her.
“911, what’s your emergency?”
“A man was just here that I have a restraining order against.”
“Is he still there?”
“No. He left when I said I was calling the cops. This is the first time I’ve seen him since the restraining order was issued.”
“I’m going to have an officer check the area. Do you know what kind of car he was in?”
“I don’t know. Its dark outside. I think it was either dark blue or black.”
“I have dispatched an officer to the area, lock the doors and if he comes back, call us immediately.”
“I will, bye.”
She went back upstairs to her room and sat back down in her cushy chair by the fireplace. Amy picked up her romance novel again., when her grandfather clock chimed midnight, she was reminded of the time.
I’ll finish this chapter then go to bed, she thought to herself.
A noise from downstairs stopped her in the middle of a sentence. She started to put her book down to find out what it was, when her cat walked into the room. She smiled and went back to reading, but just as she began the next sentence, she heard another noise. Knowing there shouldn’t be anyone else int the house, she slowly moved to the door of her room. Opening the door a crack she peeked out. Seeing no one, she quickly moved to her bedside table, grabbed a candle stick, crept back to the door and peeked out again. She saw no one. Slowly opening the door, she cautiously walked to the top of the stairs. She looked just over the railing into the foyer. It was empty. She started down the wooden stairs, stepping carefully to make no noise. She stopped every third or fourth stair to listen , but heard nothing. She moved through the whole house, ready to strike. When she reached the kitchen, she found the window above the sink open. A branch knocked on the wall outside. Relieved, she gave a little laugh and smiled. She moved to close the window and stopped mid way. The smile melted from her face. She remembered closing and locking the window before she went to bed. Fear barely had time to surge through her body before she felt a crushing pain on the back of her skull and everything went black.
When she awoke and the grogginess subsided enough for her to realize her situation, she found herself gagged and bound to her bed. Looking around, she saw no one else in the room. I have to get out of here, Amy thought to herself. She twisted and pulled down on her bindings, trying to loosen the ropes. Staring at himself in the reflection of the knife, he sneered. The pleasure he felt from the thought of sliding the knife into her flesh both surprised and excited him. The anticipation of it all was so exhilarating. He was almost sexually aroused. Brad almost didn’t want to kill her. But, he knew she had to be punished for her betrayal. She has to die. He though to himself.
Straining, she pulled straight down with her arms in the hopes of stretching her bonds. The knot on the right bed post gave and inch. Focusing on it, she twisted, pulled and yanked her right arm. It gave a little more. Pulling harder, she felt as if her hand was gong to snap, she bit down hard on her gag to keep from screaming, but the thought of freeing herself make her endure the pain. The roped where soaked with blood from her wrist. She heard creaking on the wooden stairs. Panicking, she pulled with all her strength. The knot did not come loose, but the bed post snapped, freeing her hand. Hearing him reach the top of the stairs, she went to work on the other knot. It was tight and tough to loosen. His footfall hit the upstairs floor boards. Tears of frustration streaked down her face as she pulled at the knot and bashed the bed frame, then went back to working the knot. The knot began to loosen. The bedroom door started to slowly open. She frantically worked the knot, relief washed her as the knot gave way. She dashed to the bathroom and crammed herself in the cabinet under the sink, balling herself up into the fetal position and closing her eyes tight.
She heard Brad in the bedroom saying. “Got loose, huh? Well, you cant hide for long.”
She listened as he walked around her bedroom, opening the closet door, and overturning her desk.
“Hmm, where could you be?’ he asked.
Brad opened the bathroom door. She heard the shower curtain move. He opened the closet door , then, he knocked on the counter top, getting closer until it was over her head.
“I wonder,” his voice thick with sarcasm.
The cabinet doors burst open.
“Gotcha!” he grinned.
Grabbing her ankle, he pulled her out. She kicked wildly and struck his groin. He yelled and backhanded her. He wrapped his arm around her neck from behind and dragged her back into the bedroom.
He threw her onto the bed. “Why are you doing this? Why?” she cried.
He ignored her and knelt on the bed, grinning. The smell of whiskey washed over her. He pulled his knife from his belt. Grasping for anything her hand found the broken bed post. She grabbed it and swung hard, hitting him on the side of the head. Seizing the opportunity, she drew her legs up until her knees touched her chest, then thrust her feet forward, catching him in the chest. He fell back off the bed. She sprinted out the door, then down the stairs and grabbed the phone.
“911, what’s your emergency?’ the dispatcher answered.
“Someone is trying to kill me! He’s upstairs!” she cried frantically, “Please send someone!”
“Stay with me until the police get there. They are on their way.”
“But he’s in my house!”
“Ok ma’am, go outside and wait for the police.”
“The cops can’t help you.” Brad’s voice came over the phone.
“The cops will be there in less than a minute.” The dispatcher said.
“Then I best get to work.” he replied.
“Get out of the house now!” said the dispatcher.
Amy took off out the front door and slammed it shut behind her. She headed straight for the front gate. She heard the front door burst open. She turned to look and tripped, falling back words. She scrambled to get back up and was nearly on her feet when he kicked her back down with the bottom of his foot, she went face first into the dirt. He flipped her over onto her back and towered over her, knife in hand.
“You betrayed me.”
“We were never together!”
“You deny what we had, you deceitful little…” His eyes widened and the anger in his voice intensified. “BITCH!”
He raised the knife over his head and came down with all his strength. Amy yelped. The knife pierced deep between her breasts. Her eyes wide, she gasped, then coughed. Blood splattered on Brad’s face. He watched closely as the life faded from her eyes.













Evan Stewart

Word count 1,524          
© Copyright 2010 Evan Stewart (munkie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1635145-Lethal-Obsession