*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1651490-Brine-and-Freedom
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1651490
A day out at the beach. Entry in 'Show and Tell'.
Telling:

I was at the seaside. Sprinting to the edge of the sea was exhilarating. There was a smaller dog there who I sat beside so we could watch the ocean together. Amazing is the only word there is for the ocean- it’s such a free place. Minutes passed as I watched the pretty sea, with sunlight on it.

My owner sat just at the edge of the water. All my feelings for her came to the surface and I was content.

When I got bored, I raced out to the sea. Feeling mischievous, I stuck my tongue out at my owner before swimming in. There were lots of bits and pieces in the water and it was murky. Water got in my nose as I swam, so I kept my head above the waterline from then on.

I worked to stay afloat and had loads of fun until she called me back. I could only hope the next walkies would be as fun.

Word count: 163



Showing:

Brine reached my nostrils, suffusing them with the exhilarating knowledge that I was free. Free to run, free to dally and dip in the welcoming foam before me. Slicked rock met my bounding soles, spurring me onwards. Only when I reached the edge of the outcrop did I pause, allowing myself time to appreciate the beauty. Beside me, another sat, suspended in contemplation. We shared a brief glance and I edged toward him. Smaller than me, a child, yet even he was spellbound.

A soft grunt escaped as the wind penetrated the warmth which encompassed me. I wondered idly how so many hours could be spent cooped up in four walls, cars and offices, when this lay here, just… waiting. Gently, I dipped my head, allowing it the tactile pleasure of brushing on the smooth, hard surface beneath me. Yet my eyes never left the unyielding bay of captured light.

It was there, amidst the harsh reflections and soft sand, that she sat. Water lapped at her crossed legs, covering them in a sheen of silver. No matter how much I revered the sea… if she was not sat by it, I would have passed it by. Disregarded it with no more than passing regret and low whine. Scratching my ear, I let myself feel all of the loyalty towards her, the one who gave all.

Serenity can only hold so long- as the ray of sun struck my back, the time for gentle reflection was over and I took off toward the open ocean. Her eyes were on me, I could tell. Feeling playful, I turned enough to stick my tongue out at her before leaping into the waves. The cold contrast to the burning sun was exhilarating. Shells crunched beneath me, submitting to the unrestrained emotions I enjoyed. Oh, and the smell! Food and comfort and freedom all wrapped into a single briny smell! Water weaved into my nose and I spluttered, holding it above the undulating line that separated the soft, serene warmth and light from the dark, mysterious and energizing depths.

My legs worked at a frantic pace to keep me afloat, yet I did not feel tired. In fact, I enjoyed the tingles that spread from my muscles as they stretched and pushed within me. A weird sensation wrapped one leg, before releasing it with a myriad of ripples. Curious, I lowered my head back down to the water, but dared not hold it there for long; fearful of yet another noseful of the stuff. So I continued, taking my opportunities to explore, startling at the tricks the water played. Time passed, yet I was unaware in the way that only the deliriously happy are.

“Come here, boy!” I heard the shout and obediently sprinted toward her, barely registering the change in texture to soft, forgiving sand. All I smelt, heard, knew was her. Upon reaching her I began an ecstatic circling in gratitude of her attention. I felt a pressure tug my neck and followed, with a quick glance back at the boundless blue. I could only hope that the next walkies would be as fun.

Word count: 522

Entry in "Invalid Item
© Copyright 2010 Free_Rip (free_rip at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1651490-Brine-and-Freedom