*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687836-Chapter-One-A-New-Year-A-New-Beginning
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Thriller/Suspense · #1687836
Savannah doesn't know it yet but there is more to the world around her than meets the eye.
Part I

Chapter One:
A New Year A New Beginning

Looking around the crowded hallways of my high school, it was definitely easy to see that almost everyone had found their own place within the pecking order of North Edge High. When I first came here in grade ten, I thought the pecking order was a joke. The whole idea of being told were you fit on the social ladder due to either, your body type, grades point average, electronic devices, or clothing seemed a little bit retarded to me. Within my first week at North Edge, I discovered that if you didn’t wear designer jean or have a cute boyfriend, you were automatically unable to hang out with a large social group known as the preps. Within the next couple of days I also discovered that I was unable to hang out with anyone from an equally sized social group, known as the jocks. The jocks defiantly seemed to be nicer than the preps but they were extremely selective when it came to their friends. I learned within my first month at North Edge High that the pecking order was defiantly no joke, and that I still needed to find my place within it.

It is my first day back as a grade eleven, the middle child of the school. The ones who the school staff say, know everything about everyone. Not much had changed at North Edge High except for having about five hundred little grade tens, running around in circles not knowing where they were going. The bell had not yet rung for first period so I decided I would stop at my locker. When I arrived at my red locker, which was located at the far end of the science hallway. I took off my warm navy jacket and hung it up on a silver hook and then unloaded my brown book bag. Once I finished unloading, I grabbed an orange sheet of paper from my jacket pocket which had my first semester classes. I examined the list and learned that I had biology thirty first. At North Edge, it was quiet unusual to have any grade eleven take a grade twelve course. This was simply because no grade ten had the nerve or time to take a grade eleven course. But somehow I managed to get lucky. The very first unit we did in my grade ten science class was biology. I got such a high mark on the placement exam, that the teacher bumped me up to grade eleven science courses. Looking back I’m not quiet sure how I managed to do it. Although, I’m pretty sure it could have something to do with my genuine interest in the medical field. In my spare time I always find myself reading about different systems of the body or watching The Untold Stories of the ER. Picking up my biology binder, I then headed to my first class.

When I arrived, the room was completely empty except for a tall man, who was writing on the black bored, ‘Mr. Riley-Biology 30.’ After the teacher had finished writing he noticed me standing at the door way, “Why hello there young lady. We will be sitting in alphabetical order today. May I have your name so I can direct you to your seat.” Mr. Riley was a decent looking man, he had short black hair, hazel colored eyes and was wearing a white lab coat. Mr. Riley seemed nice so I just smiled at him and replied, “I’m Savannah Carter.” Mr. Riley looked down at a sheet of paper on his desk located in front of the black bored and replied, “Well Savannah Carter, you will be sitting in the row to your right, second desk from the front.” I nodded and headed to my seat.

Once I was seated I began to examine all the posters around my moderately sized classroom. The one I found most interesting, was the one to the right of the black board ahead of me. It was located right above the doorway which read, ‘The human body is a very interesting and complex instrument. It is so complex we don’t yet know everything about it. That is why we study it.” For some reason this poster made me giggle but I knew I shouldn’t laugh it because it did hold some truth.

As students began entering the class room a particular gentlemen caught my eye. Although other gentleman had caught my eye before, this was like no other. When he stood in the doorway it was like he was introducing himself to the world without saying a word. It was at that moment that something clicked inside of me, I had to get to know him. He was tall, athletically build, dark haired, and handsome. I did not catch his name which he presented to the teacher due to the buzzing noises from all the other youth chatting amongst them selves. The teacher simply pointed in my direction. Lucky for me the desk right behind me was still empty. When the gorgeous gentleman took a seat behind me I was very pleased.

We had finished half of the review from bio twenty, when the phone rang. Mr. Riley answered it and then announced to our class that he needed to step out for a moment. I was about to grab a sheet of lined paper from my binder to doodle on, when I received a tap from behind on my right shoulder. I looked back only to see the special gentleman showing off his amazingly straight, shinning white teeth. I smiled back at him showing off my imperfect teeth and said jokingly, “Nice teeth you got there.”

He let out a little laugh and replied, “Why thank you. That’s not a bad smile you have their yourself.”

Noticing that this good looking gentleman had just taken the time to talk to me, I decided I would be a little forward and introduce myself. “I’m Savannah by the way, Savannah Carter.”

He just looked straight at me and said, “Well Savannah it’s nice to meet you. I’m Jason, Jason Dason. Look I hate to ask, but could I borrow a pencil? The tip on mine broke and I forgot my sharpener.”


Without even thinking I handed him my purple pencil. For the first time I noticed Jason’s stunning glamorous green eyes, which I had to just gaze into. His eyes seemed to have a certain glow to them. They suited him. Before Jason could even say thank you Mr. Riley walk in the doorway. I immediately spun back around and drew my attention to the black board.

When the bell rang announcing the end to first period, I gathered up my things and was out the door and into the hallway faster than a bullet. As I was walking down the narrow hallways I was skimming every face around me, in hopes of finding my best friend Mackenzie. After a few minuets of searching, I found her. To my surprise she was chatting with a bunch of seniors by the main office. For as long as I can remember Mackenzie has always been a people magnet. When ever I needed her she always seemed to be hanging out with someone. To Mackenzie it didn’t matter how old or how young you were, as long as she had someone to chill with. It wasn’t long before the principle came out of the main office to break up the noisy crowd. The group dispersed and I was able to grab Mackenzie.

“Hey Mackenzie, we need to fill each other in. Why were you talking to seniors?” I asked as sweetly as possible.

“Well I wish I could fill you in, but I have to switch last periods books for this periods. Mind walking me to my locker? I’ll do my best to fill you in on the way.” Mackenzie replied. We then took off side by side, walking at a fast pace down the hallway towards Mackenzie’s locker.

In hopes of getting Mackenzie to get on with our conversation I plainly said, “So……”

“So the seniors I was talking to are all exchange students. I didn’t get to talk to them long enough to find out where they were from. But they seem nice enough to me, so it shouldn’t really matter.”

The way Mackenzie talked about her newest senior acquaintances made me a bit uncomfortable. The way she said it so casually made it seem like she knew more than what she was willing to tell me.

“So what are you up to today?” asked Mackenzie.

“Well after school I’m volunteering in the library.” I said looking straight at Mackenzie.

“Staying late on the first day of school, what fun.” said Mackenzie with a hint of sarcasm in her voice. “I heard there’s a new librarian and she’s weird.”

“Well a new librarian. So they say she weird? I’m sure she’s not that bad. I mean you can’t believe everything you hear.”

“Oh course you can’t. But just remember if she is weird and a total psycho, consider yourself warned.”

I let out a little giggle at the idea of a psycho librarian. Now that has to be a new one. A psycho librarian, that spends most of her time in a book room doing anything creeper than reading. “Ok fine I’ll consider myself warned.” Right after saying that, the bell rang for second period.
The rest of the day flew by. Before I knew it, it was time to head to the school library to get my volunteer hours in. I don’t really know why I ever started volunteering at the library in the first place. I never really loved reading it has always a come in phases type of thing. All I know is part of the reason I started spending my after school’s there was simply because I had to much time on my hands. Plus volunteer hours always look good on a resume or college applications.

When I arrived at the library entrance the large glass doors were already propped open with a box. There were only a few light on in the large rectangular room. I found this odd because are old librarian always kept every light in the room on. She believed that the library should feel very uplifting. It should be a place where you can let you imagination go wild. I then noticed someone standing by the book check out counter to the left of me. All I could see was his back. I slowly entered the library. As I got closer to the unidentified figure, I noticed certain familiar features. It then struck me that I know him, if I had to take a guess as to who he was he was from my bio class. I couldn’t be totally sure that it was Jason due to the dim lighting. To avoid making a fool of myself I simply walked over stood next to him and said, “Hey!”

“Is that you Savannah? What on earth are you doing here?” asked Jason. He didn’t have any excitement in his voice. This sort of bothered me.

“Yeah it’s me, and I thought you would be more excited to see me.” I said jokingly then continued on to answer his question, “I volunteer here every day after school. That is everyday other than Thursday’s. What about you?” I was trying not to let it show that even if he wasn’t, I was totally and extremely excited that he was here. So I answered him as normally as I possibly could.

“Why should I be more excited?” He said jokingly and let out a laugh. The way he laughed was so chill but at the same time I could tell he was a little uncomfortable. Then he continued, “I am also here to volunteer every day but Thursday and Friday. I heard volunteer hours look good on college application. So the rest is sort of self explanatory.”

Without wanting to ask I was secretly trying to figure out why he would not be here two days of the week. Then it struck me either he has a girlfriend, plays ball or is the nicest boy next store and helps out his neighbors. Yeah I’m thinking the last possibility is the least likely. But then again he is volunteering here. In hopes of keeping the conversation going I ask, “So have you met the new librarian yet?”

“No. But I heard she’s weird and quite messed up in the head.” He said very casually.

“Yeah I heard that to.” I replied. It was at that moment that we heard foot steps coming from the storage room that was behind the counter where Jason and I were standing.

Thump…….Thump……….Thump…..

[Chapter Two Coming Soon]
© Copyright 2010 Living In My Own World (katesworld at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1687836-Chapter-One-A-New-Year-A-New-Beginning