*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1692388-The-Test
Rated: E · Short Story · Scientific · #1692388
Norveg slowly opened his eyes. The light was blinding ... A Daily Flash Fiction Winner
The Test

Norveg slowly opened his eyes. Where am I? was his first thought. The light was blinding, causing him to blink several times as he tried to focus.

A chill ran through him as he recognized his surroundings. With a start, he moved forward only to be abruptly stopped by a chain attached to a collar. Oh God. I've been captured!

Norveg had heard stories all his life about "the others." Only vaguely described, he had filed them as the kind of tales you told young ones to make them behave. Now, they were more than scary stories.

I wonder how much of the stories to believe ... His thought was cut off by sounds of movement outside his cell. Listening carefully, he could make out vague words as the noises moved closer.

A hissing noise caught his attention. No! He had heard one story of exposure to gas. He remembered that the "hero" had held his breath and survived to tell the tale. Looking anxiously down the length of the cell, he saw yellow clouds forming and moving toward him. Taking a deep breath, he held it and closed his eyes tightly. One thousand - one, one thousand-two he mentally recited until he couldn't hold out any longer and with a gasp, he gulped in air, filling his burning lungs.

Nothing. Norveg opened his eyes. It was clear. He was alive.

He could hear muted sounds again. Placing his ear against the wall, he listened intently.

"Well, it didn't seem to affect him at all. He looks fine."

"I agree. I'll note there were no harmful effects."

The tall man scribbled a signature and checked the box: FDA approved.

"You can return the rat to his cage."

With those words, Norveg gave a sigh of relief – he was going home.


Notes:
An entry for the 7/21/10 round of "Daily Flash Fiction Challenge [13+]
Prompt: Write a story that includes the words: clouds, yellow, chain"

The best-known rat species are the Black Rat (Rattus rattus) and the Brown Rat (Rattus norvegicus).

Word Limit: 300
Word Count: 300

Thank you for taking the time to read my story. Please, as long as you're here, leave a comment. Criticisms, thoughts, reactions, yes – even words of encouragement or praise – are all equally welcome *Smile*

Ken
© Copyright 2010 πŸŒ• HuntersMoon (huntersmoon at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1692388-The-Test