*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693980-Chapter-1-The-Raid
Rated: 18+ · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1693980
After hunting Canton discovers bandits raiding his village. He then discovers his gift.
Chapter 1 The Raid


October 12, 1809
Mid-day

Cloudless blue skies, gentle breezes blow here and there, a brook can be heard close by.
Canton sits in the brush watching a beautiful ten-point buck graze the clearing before him. Sandy-brown hide shimmering in the sun, big black eyes, he lifts his head to survey the land. Feeling no danger he continues to forage, listening to birds sing their songs. Canton lifts his bow aiming for the animals head, he releases an arrow watching as it hit’s it’s mark, causing the mammal to fall where it once stood, blood from it’s wound soaks the ground.

“Spirits, please forgive me for taking the life of an innocent creature. His meat shall provide nourishment for my tribe, warmth from his hide , and utensils made from his bone. Nothing shall be wasted.” Canton kneels beside his kill, retrieving a knife from the pocket concealed in his beaded moccasins preparing the animal for travel. He takes only the heart, knowing he can send others back for the rest. “Come Furian, we must wash before we go home.”

Furian, his wolf brother, races to a small watering hole and jumps in howling his excitement. “All right you beat me this time.” Canton laughs removing his clothes and following his gray friend into the warm water. He rinses the blood from himself before diving underwater. Upon resurfacing he notices a strange scent in the air, a dark ominous smell he doesn’t recognize.

“Furian, we need to go now.” Canton pulls his clothes back on. “I have to get back to the village, something isn’t right.” Throwing his bow over his bare left shoulder they begin running home.

As they come to a slight opening in the trees, Canton slows his pace sensing the peril ahead. He watches his village from behind a big oak tree, hoping trouble is not with them. Nothing could have prepared him for what he was about to see. Twenty bandits were raiding his small tribe, children crying, women screaming, his brothers dieing at the hands of thieves, Canton prepared to jump out of the brush when a large man dressed in black clothes rode up on a golden stallion yelling.

“Take what you want boys, and burn everything else!” He shot a silver pistol in the air. “Kill the men and children, but keep the women . We can sell ‘em to the highest bidder.” His pock marked face broke into a grin. “After we get ours that is.” His laugh came out hoarse.

A smaller man came into view with a woman fighting to get free. Her long black hair fell over her face preventing Canton from knowing who she was. He knew he needed a plan if he wanted to save his people. He closed his eyes praying to the spirits for guidance.

“Sir, What about this one? Ouch,” he bellowed as she bit his hand. “She’s a feisty little bitch.” He slapped her hard in the face.


“I would rather die than be your whore,” she screamed, an ugly purple bruise already forming on her face.

“I’ll make your wish come true.” The big guy jumped off his horse laughing. “But your gonna suffer first.” He holstered his pistol while taking out his dagger with his other hand. “I’m gonna take you right here right now, and you ain’t gonna do nothin bout it.” He threw her to the ground.

“You are a pathetic excuse for a man.” She taunted him.

Canton couldn’t take it any longer; he was ready to kill these men. “Unhand my mother,” he roared leaping to his feet. Distracted by his voice, the men looked over at him, seeing a lone Indian started laughing.

“What is so funny?” His rage had grown strong enough to dissipate all his fears. “How much is your life worth to you?” The last question sounded more like a growl.

“What the fuck happened?” man dropped his knife frightened by what he saw. “Larry, did you see what I seen.”

“D…d…did that Injun just turn into a g…giant wolf,” Larry stuttered.

Canton stopped five feet from the man who held his mother. He could smell fear in these men who were now attempting to back away. He didn’t know what they were talking about, but he knew the spirits were helping him. He moved to stand between his mother and what he thought was certain death.


Sun scrambled to her feet, an enormous creature covered in long black fur stood in front of her. Two bulky paws were silver, along with the tips of his pointy ears and the end of his shaggy tail. The animal turned his gigantic head, and she could feel it’s deep violet eyes staring straight into her soul. “Canton, it really is you?”

The big guy stood shaking, his back against a beautiful teepee, a giant wolf looking down on him as he pissed his pants. “Do something, Larry.” He turned his head realizing his buddy had split. Looking back towards the creature, he saw nothing but silver as a giant paw swept across his face. A deep crimson red splattered the home behind him, his head cut through by huge claws fell to the ground bloody piece by piece. His knees buckled and his body hit the earth with a loud thud.

Everyone gathered around wanting to see what was happening. The bandits took one look at their leaders body lying in a pool of his own blood, with his head in five separate round pieces at the bloody paws of a massive wolf. As Canton let out a loud roar, they turned tail and ran. The people of the tribe were startled and yet amazed by what was in front of them.

“People I must get to him.” Willow pushed her way threw the crowd. “Come with me Canton, it is time for you to rest. All is well now.” She patted the animal on his shoulder, not at all surprised by the transformation.

“Willow, what happened to him?” Sun’s voice shook now.

“I will explain after he returns. We need to take him somewhere safe, where he can relax his mind and body.”

“Where will we take him?”

“People of Sleeping Bear Tribe, a miracle has been given this day.” Willow turned to her people. “The spirits have blessed us. Now we must do what is needed for our wounded, and find those that are lost in the forest. I will return.” With this she walked away.

They continued through the woods, heading for a cave Willow had used for many years. The entrance was to small for the colossal wolf to fit. He sat on his hind quarters contemplating the days events. He did not understand what had happened to him, but he knew the spirits were responsible.

At least I was able to save some from what that bastard had planned. He thought to himself. I must calm myself, Willow was right all is well and I need rest. My body is tired, but my mind will not settle. I have so many questions, but none can be answered until I find my voice. A twig snapped somewhere in the woods putting Canton on alert.

“Who’s there,” he asked in his mind.

“It is I brother.” A voice answered him back.

“Furian? Do you know what has happened?” He had always been able to talk to animals, but this was different. He could feel the connection, sense the feelings of the forest. He relaxed laying his head on his paws, as darkness began it’s decent on the land.

“I will tell you all that I know, but only after you sleep. I shall watch over your people while you rest my friend.” Furian turned walking back in to the trees.

“Thank you, brother.” His eyes closed and at last sleep came to him.

Canton awoke and the memories of the day before came flooding back to him. He put his hand to his head in an effort to stop the spinning. As the dizziness subsided he realized he was back to human form. Looking around he noticed he was no longer outside the cave, but inside on a small pallet made of wood and straw covered with a bear hide. The smell of jasmine surrounded him working it’s magic to calm him.

“How did I get inside,” he asked himself.

“A short time after you fell asleep your body returned. Your mother and I carried you in.” Canton recognized the deep masculine voice.

“Father,” he began as he sat up.

“You must rest my son. You have had quite an ordeal, I have been told everything. I am proud of you. I have no idea how it happened, but I am glad it did.” He smiled at his son.

“Tell me, how bad is the damage to the village, and how many were lost.” He grabbed his fathers arm fearing what he would hear.

“A couple of homes were destroyed, three men were killed, and there are a few still missing.” Sadness clouded John’s eyes.

“I’m sorry. I tried to stop them.” His voiced echoed the disappointment in his face.

“You did more than anyone else could have. Don’t be upset with yourself.” He took his son into his arms. “If it wasn’t for you all would have been lost.”

“Where is mother?” Canton swallowed fighting back the burn in his throat.

“She will be back in a few minutes. She went to the village to get Willow and some things you will need.”

“I guess I could use some clothes.” He tried to laugh. “I don’t have a clue what happened to mine.”

“I have some for you right here.” He handed Canton a pair of moccasins, a wolf was embroidered on them, along with decorative white leather breeches. “I know you refuse to wear anything that covers your chest.”

“Thank you,” he said as he got dressed. “Who made the shoes?”

“I did.” The sound of his mothers sweet voice made him turn to the entrance. “Do you like them?” She smiled at him.

“They are beautiful, just like you Mama.” He hugged her.
“After yesterday, I thought the wolf would be best for you. Now you must be hungry. Sit and eat.” Sun handed him a hand carved wooden bowl filled with venison stew.

“It smells delightful.” He hadn’t realized how hungry he was until then. “Just before the attack, Furian and I killed a buck in the forest. I cleaned him, but I am afraid the meat has spoiled.” A groan escaped him as the stew slid down his throat.

“They found it during the search. Do not worry, it didn’t go to waste.” She placed a delicate hand on his cheek. “I must thank you Canton. You saved myself and our people from a terrible fate.” Her big brown eyes shone with unshed tears.

“It was the spirits Mama. I asked for their help and they answered my plea.” His appetite gone he placed his bowl on the makeshift table next to him.

“You are correct Canton.” The old woman’s voice surprised them all. “The spirits answered your plea, but it was you who took their gift. Now it is up to you how you will use this gift. I have known you would be faced with this choice since your birth, for it was written in the stars.”

“Tell me Willow, what choice do I have,” Canton asked confused.

“You will have to choose a path, either that which the great spirit has laid out for you or one of your own choosing.” Willow moved closer to the small fire. “What I am about to show you only you will see.” She threw a handful of herbs on the burning embers.

A cloud of smoke engulfed Canton making it impossible to see the others around him. He closed his eyes to keep them from stinging, and began to dream at once. He saw himself as the giant black and silver wolf walking through the forest. All the creatures bowed to him. Just as quick the scene changed, he could sense danger and fear. His animal form was chasing someone. Again the landscape changed, revealing a spirit guide made only of vapors.

“Canton it is time.” The voice was soft and gentle. “We ask you to go forth and use your ability to help us destroy the evil which threatens your world. The choice is yours alone. We can not force this on you. Furian will guide you, should you choose our path.” The vapor started fading. “You have three days to make your choice.”

“There is no question as to my choice. You have helped my people in a time of great need.” Canton replied.

“No, you chose to help them. The wolf has been with you since birth. You are the one who released it. I must leave you now. Go and find your path, Furian will be with you.”

“Wait, I do not understand!”

“It’s all right child.” His mothers voice crooned, she could hear his panic.

Canton stood looking about wildly. “I must find Furian.” He headed for the opening of the cave.

“Calm.” It was the only word Willow said, but it stopped him in his tracks. “I have prepared a pack for you. Furian will be waiting at the lake. You have much to learn and he is eager to teach, but it would not do any good to run off with out proper tools.”

He turned to the three people behind him an apology written on his face. His broad shoulders slumped forward. “I’m…”

“Don’t say it.” His mother interrupted. “We know what you must do.” Her smile didn’t quite reach her eyes. She couldn’t look away from him. Her only child, now seventeen, would soon leave. Silent tears rolled down her cheeks, as she reached for him. “I love you, my son. Please remember that always.” Sun embraced her child kissing him gently on the cheek. She released him and walked out.

“I will see to your mother. I am sad to see you go, but I understand you must.” His father slapped him on the shoulder before exiting.

Canton watched his parents leave the cave. His heart ached at the thought of leaving them, but he had no choice.









© Copyright 2010 love2write (image4writers at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1693980-Chapter-1-The-Raid