*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696240-School-of-Extra-Ordinary-Students-ch3
by Mattie
Rated: E · Other · Young Adult · #1696240
This is my favorite chapter but I think I'll like the next. Of course it needs work though
Chapter 3
         December walked through the hallway by herself back to her room to get some sleep since it was already eleven at night. She couldn’t see very well since all the lights had been turned off. She squinted in front of her but it was worthless.  She took a step and her foot landed on air instead of solid ground. She fell forward, rolling down a long flight of stairs. She ended up on her back and all her breath was knocked out of her. She laid there for a second to catch it again but someone’s foot ended up running into her and someone heavy landed across her stomach. She groaned loudly at the sudden weight. Of course who else would speak but Jay?

         “Are you who I think you are?” He had a slight bit of laughter in his voice and she shoved him as hard as she could but he didn’t budge.

         “Jeez Jay, you’re fat! Do you mind getting off me?” He laughed and got off her reaching down to pull her to her feet.

         “Now why are you lying on the ground? Don’t tell me it’s comfortable.” She smiled.

         “No actually it isn’t. I was only there because I fell down the stairs.” She heard him chuckle.

         “I guess I can believe that.”

         “What’s that suppose to mean?”

         “Nothing. Anyway, what are you doing a few feet from the boys dorm? Did you plan on coming to visit me?”

         “I’m lost and no, I was not going to visit you.” He sighed.

                   “I’ll take you where you want to go but you know, for later reference, you go down the hallway a few more feet and you’re at the girl’s dorm. Do you need me to hold your hand so you don’t fall down anymore stairs?” He was joking but he felt her warm hand grasp onto his. Something in his chest started beating franticly and in his mind he could see himself kissing her. He shook his head quickly to disperse the thoughts as he started walking slowly up the stairs still holding her hand. Her hand felt slightly small next to his and it made her seem like porcelain. She followed up the stairs after him slowly, being as careful as she could. She had been surprised when she had grabbed his hand that he hadn’t pulled it back. His skin was soft and he was very gently as they walked up the stairs. Her heart raced at his touch but she didn’t know why.

         “Here we are.” Jay said suddenly and she jumped a little. She still couldn’t see a pinch which made her wonder how Jay could.

         “Where’s the door?” She felt his hand gently place the one he was holding on to the cold doorknob. Then he let his fingers slid off the back of her hand. He didn’t want to but he knew he had to. She didn’t want his hand to leave hers either but she didn’t stop its escape. She twisted the doorknob and turned back around. “Thanks Jay.” Then she went inside closing the door behind her. Jay didn’t leave; instead he put the hand that had held hers against the door just like she was doing on the other side. She sighed and went to the stairs that led to the dorms. She was happy that the others had left a fire going in the fireplace because it lit up enough so she could make her way to her room. She went in and flicked on the light. She walked over to her dresser so she could change into blue sleep shorts and a white tank top. She glanced over at Brebella’s bed and saw that she wasn’t there. So she went to her bed and closed her eyes. She could figure out her feeling for Jay tomorrow.           ********************************************************

         December opened her eyes and sat up slowly rubbing them to get rid of any remaining sleep. Her clock said it was six in the morning so she had another hour before classes started. She got up and changed into jean shorts with a plain white shirt.  Her stomach growled at her as she brushed her hair and put it up into a ponytail. After putting on some white converse, she walked out of the girl’s dormitory slowly making her way to the cafeteria. When she got there she got herself some bacon and eggs. She grabbed an apple juice from a refrigerator and went to the normal table. She pushed her food aside as shecrossed her arms on the table. She put her head on top of her arms and closed her eyes. She really didn’t feel too peachy. She heard someone sit in front of her so she cracked an eye open. Jay was sitting there sipping some milk and watching her.

         “How may I help you?” She asked as she opened her other eye up.

         “Are you sick or something?”

         “I don’t know. “

         “Huh well you should eat something.”

         “No.”

         “Don’t make me force feed you!” She glared at him as she grabbed a piece of bacon. She put it in her mouth and ate it slowly. If her stomach was a cat, it would have purred at the fact that it had gotten food. Jay leaned back in his chair drinking some more milk. He didn’t show it but he was worried about her.

         “There. Are you happy now?” She had eaten all her food and was drinking the juice. He nodded as finished his milk. She tossed her juice and he tossed the paper cup.

         “Do you know where Brebella is?” He glanced at her.

         “She went to visit her Grandma.”

         “Oh.” She looked at the clock and stood up. “I should head to class.” Jay stood too following her to the door.

         “See ya’ then.” He waved and went down another hallway. She waved back but kept walking. After grabbing her bag from her room, she went to her science class. They watched a movie for the whole class and at eight they were dismissed and she went to math class. The teacher passed out a worksheet for them to finish before the end of class. December finished it and handed it in to the teacher who had little horns sticking out of her head.

         “Good job December. For the last ten minutes you can just read or do what you want to.”December smiled at her and went back to her desk. She just sat there though since she hadn’t brought  a book other than her math, history, and science books. Her mind flashed to Jay and she remembered last night when she had gotten lost. He had been so nice to her and when she had grabbed his hand,  her heart had started racing. Did she like Jay as more than a friend? No, how could she? The first day she was here he had been rude but then he had started being nice. He was her friend she-

              The bell signaled the end of class and stole her from her thoughts. Next was history and lucky for her they watched a movie that they would have a test on the next day but it was easy to remember what they said. When the bell rang again, she went to gym. Today the class got to run the mile outside in the rain. All the girls except her complained saying it would mess up their hair and their mascara. She didn’t wear any mascara and she didn’t care too much about her hair getting messed up.

         “Everyone just shut up! You’re all still going outside and I don’t care about what your hair will look like afterwards! Now go outside.” The teacher pointed a clawed finger towards the door. They all ran out onto the track not wanting to anger the teacher anymore. The rain was cold on her bare arms and legs but she kept running. Mud splashed under her gym shoes as she ran around the track.  Her red shorts and grey shirt were soaked even though it had only been a few minutes. She was glad the teacher had them change because otherwise her converse would never be the same. She was also glad that she wasn’t as slow as other kids were. Most of them were walking but she wanted to get this done so she ran the whole thing. The teacher gave her a high five when she finished. She was the fourth person who had finished so quickly and the only girl.

         “Great job Morgans. I guess you’re not preoccupied with your hair or mascara.” He smiled and she smiled back. Then she went under a nearby tree to lean against the rough trunk. The leaves were dark green and dripped trickles of water onto her already soaked hair.

         By the time everyone had finished, they were all late to class. December ran to the locker room so she could change. Then quickly ran through the empty halls to her next class. She was thankful that there were about four other kids that were also in her next class so she didn’t have to be alone.

         “Where were you guys?” The teacher asked. They all looked at each other and said in unison.

         “Gym” Then they all went to their seats. December glanced over and saw Jay smiling at her. She stuck her tongue out at him since the only reason he was smiling was because she was soaked. These were one of those moments that she was glad to be wearing a tank top under her shirt otherwise people would see her bra. Only one word to explain that experience; embarrassing. The teacher continued what he had been saying and when there was about twenty minutes left he said they could do whatever they wanted. Jay got up making people glance over since he hadn’t done that for months. He walked over and sat next to December.

         “So you look a little wet.” She smirked at him.
         
                “Yeah, just a little.”
         
                “Run the mile?”
         
                “Oh Yeah.”
         
                “Ah ha I feel sorry for you.” She nodded and they sat there for a moment. Then December realized something.
         
                “Why are you sitting next to me?” He raised an eyebrow at her.
         
                “Cause I feel like it. Is there something wrong with that?”
         
                “No it’s just that you never did that before.” She sighed and looked at her shoes. He watched with a longing to hug her but he dismissed the idea. She obviously doesn’t feel much for him. She looked up at him from the corner of her eye and saw that he was looking at her. That look sent her heart on a roller coaster but it slowed its wild beats when she realized that he probably didn’t feel anything for her. She looked up and said. “How much longer of class do we have left?” Jay smirked.
         
                “Can’t you read? We got about ten more minutes.” Right then the teacher stood and announced that we could leave for lunch. She stood up as she grabbed her bag. Jay stood too and followed her to the door. She stepped out into the hallway which was stuffed with other students. “Jeez we’ll never get through this mass!” December smiled up at him and grabbed his hand. His heart beat quickly as she began to pull him through the crowd as best she could. When they reached an empty hallway they stopped for a second. December let her hand fall away from his even though her heart was screaming at her to hold it. 
         
                “Okay then let’s take the shortcut to the lunch room shall we?” December glanced at him and he nodded. She took the shortcut which was void of students which let them get there within minutes. They got their food and sat down at their table. Jay watched her talking but he wasn’t really paying any attention. When she giggled at something she had said he knew he couldn’t stand to hold back his feelings anymore. When she finished what she was saying, he started his confession.
         
              “December, since a few days ago I realized something.” She stared at him with a little surprise on her face.
         
              “What did I get fat or something?” She giggled a little and his heart beat like a maniac.
         
            “No. I realized….that…that I might……..I…….I realized that I might have fallen in love with you.” He looked up at her and she was staring at him in complete shock. She tried to say something but it disintegrated before it met her lips. He what?! She closed her mouth along with her eyes. Then she stood up. 
         
              “I have to go.” She ran out of the cafeteria and ran to her room. When she got there she stopped. What was she doing? She should have stayed to tell him that she had feelings for him too but it was a sudden blast that she hadn’t expected him to ever say. The door opened behind her and her roommate’s voice filled the room.
         
              “December!” Brebella dropped her bags and hugged her. She hugged her back letting a smile spill across her face. “Did ya’ miss me?”
         
              “Yeah I did and how was your grandmas?”
         
          “It was fun! I’m sorry that I had to leave so quickly but I was running late.” She laughed a little and went back to her bags. She plopped them on the bed so she could start unpacking. “So did I miss anything big?” December looked down at her white converse for a second.
         
              “You missed the mile in gym.”
         
            “Thank the lord! I feel sorry for you guys though because it was a downpour yesterday.” She tossed the rest of the clothing in the dresser and tossed the bags under her bed. Then she walked over and flopped down on her bed after kicking off her sandals. “What time does your clock say? I ripped the plug out of the wall on mine when the alarm went off and I broke the snooze button from hitting it so much.” December smiled at her friend and looked at the clock.
         
            “It is one pm.” Brebella pressed some buttons and plopped back down again.
         
            “I think I am going to take the world’s longest nap. What about you?”
         
            “I think I will also take a nap.” She laid down and sighed. Jay flashed into her mind as she closed her eyes. What would she say to him? She liked him too. She rolled over onto her side so that she was facing the wall. She had made her decision.












© Copyright 2010 Mattie (mattiemilliron at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1696240-School-of-Extra-Ordinary-Students-ch3