*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697569-Run-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1697569
The story of people running from the organization they used to work for.
Nathaniel Harrington had been waiting in line to get into Club Nightshade for almost an hour, and he was only three people away from being in. A girl slipped up next to him and wrapped her hand around his arm. "Hey, babe, sorry I'm late." she said loud enough for the closest people to hear. Nathaniel opened his mouth to object, but she stood on tiptoes and put her mouth right next to his ear. "Please just play along. I'll pay you back."

She looked like she was in trouble, and no one could say Nathaniel was the kind of guy who turned down a damsel in distress, cliche though it might be. "Get stuck on the late shift again? Maybe I should come in and--talk--to your boss." "I need this job, you know that. But thanks for offering." Then they were in.

The throb of the music made it impossible to hear, so Nathaniel led her farther away from the speakers. "Thank you." she breathed. "You may have just saved my life." He tried to figure that out. Maybe she was in trouble with a drug cartel.

"I'm Nathaniel Harrington." Her eyebrows rose. He got that a lot. "My dad was Mexican. He skipped out on my ma before I was born. Got his coloring, and her name." "I'm Mia." "You wanna tell me what's going on?" She glanced at the crowd. "Not if it's going to put you in danger." He rolled his eyes. "Listen, lady, I go to the gym six days a week and I've got a couple of guns. I can take care of myself."

She took a step towards the door. "Not in my world." He caught her wrist. "Listen, Mia, you said you would pay me back. How about you do that by telling me what's going on." She scanned the crowd again and turned back to face him.

"Nathaniel, you seem like a great guy, and I really appreciate you going along with me. But it would be safer if you didn't know anything about me. I'll find out a way to get you some money, but it's better if I leave right now." "So I'll follow you." "And probably get yourself killed!" She hissed. "Well, that's my problem. Let me help you."

She bit her lip. "Ooh, they're not going to like this." She muttered. "Look I've got some guys after me because of the things I was before. I reformed, but they want me dead. They've been coming after me non-stop for a year now. You stay near me for very long and they'll know about you, too." He shrugged. "Doesn't bother me. I'm in." One of her eyebrows rose. "Easy as that?"

He grinned. "I'm a sucker for a pretty girl in a tight spot." She laughed softly. "You may change your mind soon." She glanced into the crowd. "Shit, they're here! Nathaniel, I'm sorry to ruin your night, but if you really wanna stick with me, we've got to get out of here." "There's an exit in the back. I'll show you." They slid through the people dancing, and Mia pointed out a bald man with a bluetooth.

"He's not the only one." she murmured, and he saw another man, with blond hair. They were both wearing suits and bluetooths, so he felt it safe to assume they were together.

"Where's this exit of yours? We need to get out NOW." "I'll bring you to it. What if we get separated?" "Then you're one of the luckiest men in the world." He glared at her.

"We'll meet up at the skate park next to the pizza place. Near Broadway, you know the one?" "Yeah, got it. Let's get out of here."  He pushed the door open and she slid out first, looking around. It was an alleyway that led to a sidestreet. Mia's eyes narrowed.

"I'll go first. They might have cars. If they do, cut between houses and through yards. They won't want to shoot; it would draw attention. Don't worry about me, take care of yourself first." She pulled off her heels. "Good luck." She grinned. "Must have something, to still be alive."

She snuck to the mouth of the alley, and Nathaniel wasn't far behind. "Give me five seconds, then you go." She ordered. She darted out and a car screeched forward. She used its hood like a springboard and headed for the houses.

A man got out of the car and took off after her, and the car started following by the roads. Nathaniel sprinted after the man, tackling him and bashing his head against the cement. He checked to make sure the guy was unconscious, then set off after Mia.

He caught up as she was sliding over a fence to get to the sidewalk. She paused, then pulled him across the street and into the shadows of another house. "Listen to me." she told him, her voice low.

"This is your last chance. You can still get out, walk away, never see me again. No obligations or implications. But if I take you to the safe-house, you're in this for good. You get into a sticky situation, I'll help you out, and I expect the same from you. You wanna turn back?" He shook his head. She grinned. "Welcome to the family. Come with me."

He followed her for several blocks, sticking to the shadows and the sides of the houses. They came up to a large house. Mia took a deep breath. "I hope you're ready for this." She clicked the intercom. "Lovely evening, Jim. Looks like we've picked up a stray."

There was a pause. Then, "Mia, why does it always seem to be you?" "Because I'm the boldest of us all. It's been a long day. Just let me in." "Levi wants to talk to you." the gate swung open, and she gestured Nathaniel in. Two men with big guns came up. "Who's the fresh meat?" The larger man with a scar across one side of his face from earlobe to the tip of his nose. Nathaniel opened his mouth, but Mia stepped on his foot.

"He's not meat, Lee. He's a person, and he saved my life." "Then you dragged him here? Some thanks." Lee snorted. She shrugged. "I tried to talk him out of it, but he wouldn't listen. Nathaniel, this is Lee and Ben. They're normally nice, but Lee didn't get enough beauty sleep."

Lee scowled at her. "I was helping decide where we're going next. Got three hours of sleep." "Levi was right there with you, and he hasn't been grumbly all day because of it. Now if you don't mind, I'd like to change clothes and find some shoes."

She let Nathaniel away as Ben shut the gate. "Keep your mouth shut and your head down." She muttered to him as they strode up to the mansion. "If anyone asks you any questions, answer them with the truth. Understood?" "Understood." A man stood at the front door, and he didn't look happy. Mia mimicked his stance, down to the cocked eyebrow, and stared at him.

Finally he sighed. "Can't you go a week without getting us in trouble?" She grinned. "But then you guys wouldn't keep me around. This is Nathaniel Harrington. Nathaniel, Levi." She handed Levi the bag she had slung over her shoulder. "Go shower and change clothes. We can wait." Mia gave a cheeky salute and slid past him. He stared at Nathaniel for what felt like an age. "I guess it can't be helped, if it's Mia. Come in and have a drink."

They got themselves drinks and a couple other men came in. "Toby, Jim, the stray is Nathaniel. Mia says he saved her life." "Well, if Mia said so, it must be true." That was Jim.

Toby asked, "You didn't get hurt, did you?" He shook his head. "Mia might have, though. I wasn't with her the whole time." Toby sighed. "She can't seem to do one thing without getting herself hurt. She needs to learn how to take better care of herself."

Levi leaned forward. "Let's set a couple of things straight. Mia's made you one of us. You get yourself in trouble, we'll save your sorry ass. But if you ever cross us, nothing can save you. We're on the run from both sides of the law. Only reason we're still in America is to tie up a few loose ends."

"The only person who will notice if I disappear is my landlord, and that'll only be because I stop paying rent, if that's what you're worried about." "Well, that's convenient." Jim said. "Another thing. Mia may seem like a pretty face in need of help, but she's tougher than you, and probably tougher than some of us." Levi continued. Nathaniel stared at the men. "Who exactly are you?"

"That's not important." Mia said from behind him. Her shoulder-length hair was still damp. "What matters is that you're with us now, and will be for the rest of your life, or as long as we're still being hunted." "Come, sit down. I want to check out your feet." Toby ordered her. "Yes, Doctor." she sighed and sat obediently.

He checked her soles very carefully. "You tore a callus, and your feet are going to be tender for a couple of days. You're lucky you didn't step on any glass." "Have you ever tried running in heels?" He blushed crimson. "Once. You don't want to know why. Next time, wear flats." Jim was staring at Toby. "You did drag?" "It was New Orleans in the eighties, and it wasn't for fun."
© Copyright 2010 Kate Geary (belledame at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1697569-Run-Chapter-1