*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698702-WDC-Writing-Cramp--8-12-10
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1698702
"Write a story or poem that involves intergalactic fast food."
Larae stepped off the train, eyes taking in the bustling town, protected from the harmful atmosphere by giant domes and tubes. The life on this planet had evolved with different needs, so most animals were safe from the harmful gases outside the city limits. The humans, however…. No one really knew where they all came from. It was assumed another galaxy, but, as said before, no one knew.

He scanned the crowds, looking anxiously for his ride, his cousin, who'd offered him a place to stay over the summer. Not wanting to get caught in the teeming masses, Larae stepped off to the side and found a bench. He sat, and pushed green bangs out of his eyes.

"OY!! LARAE!!" He heard it quite distinctly over the various conversations and footsteps in the terminal. He sighed, stood up, and waved to get the attention of his over enthusiastic cousin.

"There you are! I've been looking everywhere for you!" His cousin, Drech, had pink hair that flopped over her face and stuck up everywhere (what is this gravity you speak of?) adorably and contrasted sharply with her sky blue eyes, so unlike his own brown.

He sighed again and simply followed her out of the station into the bright sunlight, wincing as it hit him in the eyes and listening to her chatting about everything and nothing. "Man, you must be hungry. What did they feed you on those things? Come on, I've gotta show you this place. It's, like, the best place in the galaxy. Larae, move it!"

She grabbed his arm and yanked him down the side walk, pulling him along and seemingly oblivious to whatever was going on around them, still chattering away about the town, her friends, this one shopping trip they took last weekend to this one place, and everything and nothing. "And then, Casr was all like, 'I lost the game!' and the rest of us were like, 'NOO you evil person!' and Casr was like, 'Muahahaha!' And that reminds me, I just lost the game."

"Hold on a sec. What's this 'game' you're talking about?"

"Oh, the game. Well, the whole point of the game is not to think about the game, and if you think about the game you have to say 'I just lost the game' or something, because you have, and so other people lose the game too. We play with the 'you have five minutes to forget about the game before you can lose it again' rule, 'cause otherwise you just lose it forever and then it's no fun. Ooh, look, we're here."

The "best place in the galaxy" was a simple fast food restaurant, decorated simply with red and yellow, with the menus on the wall behind the counter and red artificial plastic chairs grouped around tables. Drech dragged him over and ordered food for them both. She only had to wait about two minutes before they shoved the two trays over and she paid. Larae tried to protest but was drowned out by her saying, "You're tired and need to rest and eat. Don't worry about it, you'll owe me later."

They munched on their food, Drech continuing her chatter about everything and nothing while Larae people-watched and nodded occasionally when she seemed to slow down. He had to admit, the place was nice.

He visited the restaurant several more times over the summer, and liked it still. It was fast food, sure, but the place itself was the "best place in the galaxy". He only caught the name the last day he went. "Intergalactic Fast Food – The best inside and outside the galaxy!"

Word count: 607
© Copyright 2010 AshesOfTears (trueheart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1698702-WDC-Writing-Cramp--8-12-10