*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727735-The-Elijah-Project-Sadie-Williams-End
Rated: E · Other · Action/Adventure · #1727735
A candlestine service known as the Elijah Project trained the infamous Sadie Williams.
Date: 16 February 2001

Location: Podujevo, Northern Kosovo

Time: 1145 hours local

         My cigarette was half smoked and I looked up from my perch in the internet café near the target. The mud in the street was nearly frozen and I watched as a man zipped up a small girl into a cumbersome jacket near the bus stop. Perhaps, he was her father, but that wasn’t my objective. I looked to the other Serbian pilgrims headed to Gracanica to celebrate the Orthodox Day of the Dead. That wasn’t my objective either. I looked to a man of forty-five standing alone near a puddle. His name was Andrijia Sporoi, and his affiliation with a Serbian extremist group were the reason that I was in Kosovo. Sporoi was my objective.

I flicked the rest of my cigarette onto the provided ashtray and took a sip of my coffee. It was too strong but I needed the caffeine. I looked to the “disinterested” barista who a nose ring and painted his fingernails black. He made eye contact with me and smiled, I smiled and grabbed another cigarette.

         The moronic teenager had tried to sell me some heroine after I asked if he carried anything special. I rolled my eyes, and wondered if he had bothered to guess what my age was. A quick glance out into the muddy “street” told me that age wasn’t something all that important.

         I stood up and went over to the teen. For once, I was glad that leather pants were in-style as they were also warm.

“Yes, I help you?” He asked me perkily.

“Do you sell burn phones?” I asked with an English accent.

“Burn phones?” He asked uncomprehendingly.

“Cellular phones?” I said slowly.

“Oh, yes. But, only for rental. Charge for the hours,” He said and reached underneath the counter and retrieved a bulky cellular phone that was probably the height of technology in 1995. I smiled, for it would be perfect.



Time: 1200 hours local

         I was walked past the Swedish envoys that were to accompany the pilgrims on their holy holiday, and opened my unregistered cell phone and called the café’s cellular phone. Within seconds I felt the heat of an explosion warm my back, and I kept walking.



Date: 18 August 2009

Location:  District of Columbia

Time: 800 hours local

         Rain pattered and bathed the district. I waited on the bench outside of the capitol, and felt the rain patter onto my leather jacket. It was a small matter, for I would be disposing of it anyway. An African-American in an Armani suit looked in my direction and I gave him a nod, for his boss would know what it meant. It seemed that Senator Billings always chose vain aides. I waited in the rain, and earned curious glances from the passersby. I lit up a cigarette, and watched as Senator Billings stepped onto the stairs leading to the street.

         He gazed in my direction and quickly looked away. I smirked, for there had once been a day when this would have scared me. Not today. I looked at the plastic grocery bag to my left, and placed it underneath the bench and shoved my hands into my jacket then walked away.

         I continued down East Capitol Street and turned until I found the diner I was looking for. A waitress smiled at me and I walked to a table close to the wall, then sat in the chair facing the window. Soon a gray-haired man came in and sat opposite me, and he smiled vaguely when I didn’t rise to meet him. Senator Rowlings, a man who was many things to me, but most recently friend.

“The message was sent,” I said calmly. Placing a manila envelope in front of him.

“I believe I can take it from here,” Senator Rowlings said, taking the envelope.

“Your method will not work,” I said matter-of-factly.

“What method is that, Sadie?” He asked, cocking his head to one side. It is amazing how much Brian takes after the Senator.

“Pressing charges, holding a trial, only to carry out sentences,” I said.

“That, as much as I would like to take credit, is not my method. It is called Due Process.”

“It will not work with Billings,” I said, “There is too much collateral.”

“What collateral is that?”

“The continued expansion of the Elijah Project under his puppetry. There is no way for you to police him. My method must be used.”

“There is too much collateral with that method.”

“What collateral is that?” I asked. With my method the man would be dead by 1400 hours and the Elijah Project would be dismantled.

“You, my dear.”

Date: 18 August 2009

Location: District of Columbia

Time: 1300 hours local

         I entered the Capitol Buildings observation balcony and sat directly opposite of Billings desk. I made no effort to quiet any noise I made and smiled when Billings saw me. I noticed that Senator Rowlings made no movement of recognition and that pleased me. The less association with me was the better it was for him.

         Fifteen minutes later, the same African-American aide joined me on the balcony. He tapped me on the shoulder.

“Miss Williams, the senator says that he will not see you,” then he smiled. I smiled back and took a step towards him.

“Billings will see me.”

“Miss Williams, the senator received your message and wishes to remind you that the terms of your meetings have been set. Therefore, he will not be able to see you.”

“I understand.” I smiled then took another step towards the aid so that I could feel his breath on my cheek. He took a step backwards. I looked into his eyes with a smile, then walked towards the exit. I turned once I reached the threshold, and saw that Billings had received my message on his desk. There was an illustration of the biblical account of Elijah calling fire down from heaven. With that I made for the stairwell.

         Instead of making my way down the stairs I reached for a door restricted from the public and picked the look. Once outside I looked down at the district and farther west towards the mountains. I wondered if Brian could ever know that I really was. But, my musings were cut short when Billings joined me.

“I get it, you want to see me.” Billings said harshly and glared. Yesterday one glare from him would have shattered me, but today it made me smile.

“Dismantle the Elijah Project.”

“Sadie, there is much that you do not understand-“

“I don’t care about the words you are about to spew. Dismantle it or by 2000 hours you will be dead and the world will find your secret files.”

“Why reveal to me what will happen if I don’t do what you want? I can protect against your plan. Sadie, I don’t believe you really want to go against me. I am the closest thing that you have to a family.”

“I tell you my plan because there is no escape from me. Remember? You made sure I am the best.”

“You are all into family now right? Why don’t you move in with my family? We can be like a real family.” He said

“O yes, and Helen would love that. As would Jim and Carole.” I said naming his immediate family. “I am sure that each one of them would be impressed with my vocational skills.”

         At my words Billings paled and I continued, “You have until 2000. This is not negotiable.”

         Billings made no motion to leave so I took a step towards him and he quickly left the small observation deck.



Date:  10 January 2010

Location: Springfield, Missouri

Time: 2100 hours local

         “Files retrieved from the late Senator Billing’s personal documents reveal a multitude of skeletons in his political closet, and those skeletons would’ve stayed hidden had it not been for a tip received by media insiders early last month. Skeletons that include involvement in the 2001 terrorist bombing of Serbian refugees in Kosovo.” The news anchor’s voice informed me as I unclasped my necklace and stepped out of my black pumps.

         “How are you this evening, Mrs. Rowlings,” Brian’s voice greeted me as he wrapped me up in a hug. Instinctually I froze, but then melted because it was Brian. My friend, confidant, and now husband.

“Good, Mr. Rowlings. How were your exams?” I said turning to face him.

“They were exams.” He said shrugging, “And your lab?”

“Same as usual. “ I loved that I had a normal life, and that I would be saving lives now, instead of taking them.  I leaned in for a kiss and Brian obliged, and behind me I heard the news anchor continue her reports.

“Also, there is evidence that the late Senator had ties to a candlestine service known as Project Elijah. The purpose of Project Elijah is still to be disclosed to the American public and spearheading the investigation is Senator Rowlings of Missouri.”

© Copyright 2010 Callie Leonore (cupabeans at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1727735-The-Elijah-Project-Sadie-Williams-End