*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747451-Day-2-Flight-to-Joburg-192010
Rated: 18+ · Prose · Travel · #1747451
8th entry in "Scribblebugs circumnavigation of the planet"
Day 2: Flight to Johannesburg 1.9.2010

So far, so good. No fighting has ensued between Kobus and I yet, although we had a bit if a heated discussion about the South African passport. I wondered why the front of his passport said “Republique de Sud Afrika” when French isn’t spoken there. He said he didn’t know. So then I asked why didn’t they write South Africa in an African language. I got a terse “I don’t know!” as an answer. I thought it best not to ask whether or not the French had gifted anything to South Africa and maybe that was the reason, you know, the way the Yanks got the statue of Liberty from the froggies!

We are sitting at the very back of the plane so it’s much bumpier than if we were sitting by the wing, so Captain Kobus Wenter says. The best thing about sitting at the back is that there is no-one hitting the back of my chair with their knees (or feet in the case of little humans). The shit thing is, I can smell the toilet. I’m getting used to it now though.

Only 7 hours and 28 minutes left until we land in Jo’burg. That’s less than a working day so that’s not too bad. I’m listening to Chopin on the “Highlife entertainment” system, courtesy of British Airways. I might as well act cultured now that I’m a world traveller. Actually, it’s not Chopin himself, he’s long dead. It’s some pianist called Natalia something-or-other. Probably Russian, they’re great musicians, the Russians. Or maybe she’s Hungarian?  It’s very nice. It’s helping me relax during the turbulence. There’s only been a little bit, but enough to make my palms sweaty.

To be honest, there isn’t much to write about being on a long haul flight. I am sitting snuggly between Kobus and another bloke, both of who have commondered the arm rests! I’m like a T-Rex sitting in my seat!

Seven hours and 24 minutes left. Damn, the battery on my laptop is nearly finished. Better save and shut down.

Good night Travelietop! x

© Copyright 2011 Loren Cadhla Long (scribblebugs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747451-Day-2-Flight-to-Joburg-192010