*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747663-Day-3-Johannesburg-2910
Rated: 18+ · Prose · Travel · #1747663
9th entry to "Scribblebugs circumnavigation of the planet"
Today is actually the 4th of September. I have neglected Travelietop since our arrival in Africa, only because, firstly, I was knackered when we got here and secondly, I was a bit too lazy to write. Setting myself down to write is difficult sometimes. I’ve noticed that when I am in transit, hanging around in airports, it’s easy. That’s obviously because I have feck all else to do and lots of people and things to look at and listen to, which I can then write about. But, I have promised to write, so here I am, in the Natal Midlands, recounting the past few days events.

We left the airport in our silver rented Toyota Corolla. Even though Kobus is a South African citizen and lived in Johannesburg for five years after moving from a sleepy town on the East Coast, he still managed to get us lost twice on the way to his sister’s house. I was not allowed to drive, Kobus said it was because I have only had my license since May of this year, but I know his reasoning was because the roads are bigger here and more chaotic and I wouldn’t know where I was going. Turned out that he didn’t know either! Hmmm!

Now, the dilemma faced when arriving at your destination after a long haul flight is whether or not to have a sleep when you arrive? We decided against it because both of us feared that a few hours’ sleep would result in extreme grumpiness. We needed to meet Caleb and Kara at Top Hat to get Kobus fitted for his best man’s suit for Caleb and Kara’s wedding so the consensus was to shower, eat and leave.

So we carried out the necessary ablutions in Sonja and David’s house (Kobus’ sister and brother-in-law) and hopped into the car blurry eyed and greasy tailed! I felt like we had taken advantage of Sonja and David’s lovely home. We had rocked up, found the key to the front door under the pot plant and used the facilities! I did enjoy the shower though, I must admit!

Again, Kobus got lost on the way to Top Hat! Uh! We got there eventually and met Caleb, Kara and their friend, Anthony, I think he is the MC at their wedding. Nice oke, as the Saffers would say.He has started calling me “Irish” as a nickname which I giggle at. I love the attention! Being a foreigner is a novelty! Caleb is a legend! He’s a cuddly bear trapped in the body of a man! Kobus rushed into the store to his buddy and the two leviathans embraced boisterously. Bromance at its best! It’s very special for me as Kobus’ wife to see him with his friend who he hasn’t seen in such a long time. Kobus is a firm believer in actions speaking louder than words and doesn’t talk a lot about his feelings towards his friends and family. But it is obvious that Kobus holds Caleb in his heart.

Tangent moment:  I have moved from the patio at out chalet, which was in the shade to a chair on the lawn. I feel quite colonial! My long red summer dress is flapping in the wind, the warm spring hair is gently caressing my hair while the sunrays are delicately dancing on the back of my head and neck. We are in the Natal midlands at a place called Lythwood Lodge . Caleb and Kara are getting married here tomorrow. It’s so beautiful in this area. There are lots of tall trees, the grass can’t decide whether it is green, brown or straw-coloured. The sun and the dryness have scorched most of the grass and the earth is dry and crumbly but the odd seedling of grass has taken advantage of a drop of rain and poked its shoot through the arid soil. I feel like I am in Africa but also in Glenville woods which is near where I grew up in Cork. Holy shit, an eagle or some type of big bird just flew by! And this morning I saw the biggest grasshopper I have ever seen! It was the size of a puppy dog!!!! Ok, it wasn’t that big, but it was large! And loud! Bugs are really loud here. Everything is bigger in South Africa, the roads, the space, the men, the bugs!

Oh yes, getting back to our first day in Johannesburg! I have been to Johannesburg a few times and I have to say I can’t understand the place. I can never get my bearings because there is no real central city centre. There is the “central part” which apparently is quite rough and dangerous. David drove us through there once and it was awesome! All the shops are on the street. They’re not like the shops I’m used to with doors and marketing adverts sent from head office, designed to entice the European consumer to purchase the latest household gadget that one can ultimately live without. These stores were open at the front, as if the place only has three walls and a roof, one can see the wares that are held there at a glance, hanging from hooks at the front and only the outside walls. Even the hairdressers are on the street. People sit on plastic garden chairs while getting their hair braided. It’s so vibrant and alive. The downside was that there was litter everywhere which is ick.

The people in Johannesburg that I have met are generally extremely friendly. I think because most people who live there that are young didn’t grow up there, they make the effort to make you feel included because they understand how it feels to be the newbie. The men are confident, well spoken, some a little obnoxious but still charming. The women are demure, mannerly, beautiful. Obviously I am generalising because there is nowhere in the world where everyone is the same surely. But, in my experience, I have met gracious, proud and accepting people here. I don’t think I could live here though. It’s smoggy and a bit dirty and the roads look like a conveyor belt of motor vehicles. And it’s too fuckin’ hot!





© Copyright 2011 Loren Cadhla Long (scribblebugs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1747663-Day-3-Johannesburg-2910