*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1749309-The-Arch
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1749309
The Arch is the "Gateway to the West" in the US. But to me, it's all you're about to read.
The reminisce of new-car smell fought its way up my nose as my head swung back to face my sister. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a glimpse of metallic silver. My hands braced the seat as my body, still twisted against my seatbelt, took in the sight. The Arch stood there, stunningly man-made, the sun’s golden glow reflected off the shimmery surface. The clouds were spread thin and grey, stretching to the dull horizon. In spots, you could see magical rays of sunlight creeping through the clouds, reassuring you that the sun was still there, just hiding behind the foggy veil we call the sky. The rising sun cast a pink glow on the clouds- giving the day a gloomy yet peaceful feel to it.
St. Louis City loomed behind it, the already bustling factories already puffing out black smoke rhythmically. Puff-pause-puff, puff-pause. I focused again on the huge landmark. If I could zoom in on the arch- I would see countless tiny faces, waving enthusiastically-desperately hoping some lost couple wandering the streets of St. Louis would look up and silently wave back. The sound of roaring exeleration filled my ears, mixed with the song Smile by Uncle Cracker. We turned the corner to another day and I took one last glance at the swaying landmark, then- it was gone.
© Copyright 2011 Lili F. (bookworm98 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1749309-The-Arch