*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1760516-A-wise-king-at-wits-end
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Fantasy · #1760516
A story about a king who is at wits end
Chapter 1 A sad princess



In a land far far away lived a noble king without his dear queen, who died giving birth to a fair and beautiful princess. She was as beautiful as an blossoming red rose. As the kings daughter grew older, the men from the village started talking about how beautiful the kings daughter was growing up to be.

By the time the princess was of age, and old enough to marry, the story of the fair and beautiful princess had already traveled across the world. Men from all over the world came to ask the king for his daughters hand. The richest men, the most bravest of knights, and the most handsome of princes came from lands far away, but the king rejected them all, for he did not want to wed his daughter to a stranger he did not know.

When the king's daughter heard of her father deeds, she got sad, and confronted her father.

"Papa, why do you not want me to wed one of the men that came to ask for my hand? Do you not want me to be happy?" The princess asked.

"Why yes my dear, but i do not see these men as suitors to bring you happiness." The king simply replied.

"But papa, what about the brave knight from the far west, or that noble prince from the far east?" The princess asked.

"It is because I've looked at them, and seen them, and i do not find them fit to wed you my dear." The king simply replied smiling again at his daughter

"But papa. you've only seen them but you do not know them, then how can you judge them based on what you've seen?" The princess pleaded desperately.

"My dear daughter..." The king began wearily

"I am the king, I do not need to know those men to know whether if they are good for you or not, I am a man, so i must know what most of them want, for they only want you for your fair beauty my dear." The king responded.

"I see." The princess replied sadly, lowering her head.

"very well then father..." the princess continued.

"If that is what you wish, then i shall abide by it, have a pleasant day papa, i shall be in the castle's garden." the princess finished and started for the door.

"Thank you my dear, and may you have a pleasant day too yourself." the king said, waving his daughter goodbye.



------------------------------



Chapter 2 The wise council men



Later that day, as the king looked out of the window into the castle's garden, he saw his daughter siting by the fountain, a sad look upon her face.

He thought of what the princess had said, and decided she was quite right.

"I must find her a noble and brave man, worthy of her love, and worthy enough to rule my country when i am no more." The king thought to himself.

So the very next day the king gathered together his council, whom consisted of some of the wisest men from the land. They were six in total. The king knew these men from years before, when they helped his father before him to make big decisions concerning his beautiful country. They were much older than the king, and walked a little crumpled, and the king wondered if the theirintelligence had withered away.

" Welcome gentlemen." the king said getting up spreading his arms.

"Your majesty." the six men replied, and bowed their heads

"It is an honor to be in you presence again my king." one of the men said

"An honor indeed." the others agreed.

"Thank you my friends, it is true that since my father passed away i have never needed your help, but now i am at wits end." the king said sadly

"What is it that bothers you my king?" one of the men asked.

The king kept silent for a moment, and looked at the old and crumpled men, he wondered if they could truly help him. He knew if he was to seek their help, he must trust them with some of his deepest emotions what bothered him the most.

Finally the king turned and went to sit upon his throne. he took a small bell that rested on the throne's armrest.

A servant came with quick small steps and stopped in front of the king.

"you ringed your majesty?" he asked.

"Yes, get Jim and Jeremy to help you bring in some chairs for these gentlemen to sit, i fear they will not be able to stand for long." the king said to his servant

"Oh don't bother your majesty, we do not mind standing, do not let our old and crumpled appearance fool you my king." one of the men said.

Stunned the king looked at the man who had said that, for he was not accustomed being told not to bother for something to be done when he ordered it.

"And the rest of you agree with your comrade?" the king asked now looking at the rest of the men.

"Yes your majesty." they all said in choir.

The king pondered about it for a moment, and sighed.

"verry well then, as you wish." the king finally said


-------------------------------
© Copyright 2011 R. Anthony (beany87 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1760516-A-wise-king-at-wits-end