*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761140-Ashes-in-His-Eyes
by JAC
Rated: E · Short Story · Inspirational · #1761140
A small comforting conversation with a complete stranger could actually change your heart.
Ashes in his eyes



As I was watching the orange sun dropped itself on the wide ocean in front of me, recent events sneaked back inside my head. Then I threw my self on the wet sand and there felt the coldness of the rain that i missed.

What if... Yah, what if...

I wondered whether my life could still change. I wondered if there's still a chance for me to go back into the past and change my life completely. What if I could find a genie and ask for a wish. I'd ask anyone that has magical powers or whatever just to go back in time.

"My head hurts," I mumbled. I sat up and found the sun no more. It's already night time. I need to go home.So I grabbed my bag and left the sands alone.

Half way to my house, my phone rang.

"Sarah!"

"What?!" I replied over the phone.

"You forgot your book here. You need it right?"

Oh, right. I have a project to finish...

"Anyway, you need it right? So I'll send Matt to return it to you."

I halted. "Matt? Your maid?! I mean... your boy-maid?! You know I don't like him!"

"Oh shut up! you don't have to like him to get the book from him! Where exactly are you? I'll send him right away."

"Umm..." I looked around. "At the clover fields..."

"Wait there."

Toot, toot, toot...

I closed my phone and slid it back in my pocket. "Why can't she just send it straight to my house? That Cindy! Now I'm stuck here."

I looked up and the twilight sky was beautiful. I dropped my bag again and laid on my back on the clovers. I closed my eyes and my wish came back.



I've lost my memories when I was just 15 due to an accident that only I survived. my parents were killed. But I didn't even cry for I didn't remember them. However, realizing that I was all alone was enough for me to hate my life. For 6 years, I moved on on my own. At least...

That's what I tell everyone. But I really haven't

I felt something hot run down the sides of my face. I tried to stop them but the tears never left me for quite some time. Until I heard tires screeching above my head.

I opened my eyes and looked up but it was all a blur so I sat up to fix myself and remove every trace of my weakness.

A face then appeared after I finally wiped away the tears on my eyes with the back of my hands.

"Here's your book."

When I started to turn away to try and manage my face a little, he said,"Don't bother fixing your face. You look ugly as ever."

So, I wore my scowl again as I stood up and snatched the book right out of his hand. "Shut up, will yah! Mind your own business!"

"I would have if you hadn't forgotten your book and bothered me! Geez! You could at least say thank you!" Then when I didn't budge, he started to his motorcycle.



"Wait!"



He stopped hopefully and turned around again.

"I'm sorry and thank you..." I trailed off.

He just stared at me after that and for some reason his stare Got into me. I smiled forcefully as fresh tears escaped their rightful place again. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I don't know what's happening... I just---" I cut off when wiping them didn't worked. So, feeling helpless, I sat on my limbs and buried my face on my palms.

After awhile, I heard Matt grunted while he settled himself on the clover-covered ground beside me. I heard him let out a deep sigh and so I looked at him. To my surprise, he was smiling at me so warmly. That's the first time.

"Good. You finally stopped," he said.

"Why are you smiling?" I absentmindedly asked after a sniff.

He wasn't surprised but he didn't suppress his smile either like I expected he would. Instead, he laid on his back and looked at me like he was asking me to join him. So I did.

"Someone important usually does that to me whenever I'm crying or feeling lonely back when I was still a kid." He turned to the sky but I never left his face.

"Someone?"

His smile faded. "Someone I had forgotten until you reminded me."

I couldn't find another word to say after that. Then a small silence emerged. I didn't mind it though 'cause I was getting fond looking at his face.

"Do you realize what you are doing?" he said without even turning to me.

I began to blush when what he meant came to me. I hastily attended to the sky instead to avoid his face. Then I tried to calm down.

Then he suddenly laughed that the next thing I knew, I was staring at his face again.

When his laugh died, he turned his whole body towards me. "Why did you cry?"

I didn't answer right away. I was still contemplating what he said. Then, "because being alone all this while is getting on me."

His eyes didn't change. Wow, I never knew that his eyes were ashen. "They are perfect for you," I thought out loud.

"What?"

"No-nothing!" I faltered.

"Anyway, why are you alone? Where are your parents?"

The mention called my traitors again but this time I held them back in success. But I still couldn't speak because I feel that if I start to, they would eventually come out. Matt understood it. he didn't push me instead, he grabbed my hand and squeezed it lightly that I could still feel its warmth. And just like that, I was crying again. With a comforting hand on my back, my head found shelter on his shoulder. I couldn't understand it. I usually didn't want anyone see me cry. But crying here to him of all people was somewhat what I really needed. He was a complete stranger. But as I looked up and saw his ashen eyes looking down at me in such way, it was like he has been here with me my entire life.
© Copyright 2011 JAC (juvie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1761140-Ashes-in-His-Eyes