*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766623-Our-Moment
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1766623
My night has become a sunny dawn because of you.
         Love can be such a fickle thing, no? Is it not one of the most painful and beautiful facets of our existence? Can it not both heal and destroy us in a single moment? Being both blessing and curse, rendering even the most hardened of us vulnerable to its soothing touch. As we lay here, entangled in our fiery passion, I contemplate this paradox.

        Gazing upon the endless cosmos, hands forever linked, I reflect on what all of this means. I turn my head to look at you for a moment, your soft lips curved into a reassuring smile. Your eyes shine with such divine beauty. I feel a smile form on my face. I tighten my grip on your hand. Your smile grows larger. We are here, alone. In this moment, we are connected. In this moment, we are one. Nothing else matters. Nothing else exists.

         Returning my eyes to the stars, I feel a strange sensation. The heavy burdens have been cast aside for this moment. Our moment. The chains of the past mean very little compared to this undeniable connection. My sorrows and torments don’t matter anymore. This warmth gives me hope. It also terrifies me. Something so pure is not meant to last. For every flame becomes extinguished with time, no? Everything eventually disappears.

         You sense my fear. You lift my hand toward your mouth. Looking into my eyes, you give it a compassionate kiss. I smile at you, but you know it’s not enough. How can it ever be enough? How can the demons within me ever be fully exorcized? Still, you won’t give up on me. You won’t leave here until you know the sun will rise again for me. You simply look into my eyes. Your beautiful soul captures all of my senses. I feel myself being soothed by your loving glow.

           I still cannot believe why one as radiant as you would want to be here with someone as wretched as I. Sensing my self-defeating thoughts, you place a gentle kiss on my forehead. You don’t want to hear any more of that. You, and only you, are aware of the potential I possess. You’ve seen the remnants of light that struggle to live within my tattered soul. You just will not give up on me, and I am in your debt for the priceless gift you’ve graced me with. The best ‘thank you’ I can muster is a kiss on the cheek. You smile. It’s all you’d ever need from me.

         You stand up, smiling as you look down at me. You offer your hand to me, as you’ve done countless times before. This time, I take it. I feel the love in your palm, as you help me stand on my own two feet. Your hair sways in the cool breeze. I feel so lucky to have you with me. We move closer to each other. With a smile, I place my hands on your waist. You feel so happy to see me smile. It lifts your heart to see me feel so alive. It’s all thanks to you, darling.

         Souls interlocked, destinies intertwined. We stare into each others eyes. You place your hands behind my neck. Your warm hands feel so good. I never want to be without them. I look at you and mouth “thank you” in quiet. Several tears fall off your cheek. You cannot believe that you were the one to redeem me. You are my great love, my salvation. I move in to kiss you. You close your eyes. Our lips meet. I feel a rush of euphoric energy course through me. Through us. Time has stopped. In this moment, we are connected. In this moment, we are one. This is our eternity, our heaven.

I love you.
© Copyright 2011 Paul J. Belanger (entertherealm at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1766623-Our-Moment