*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776383-Where-to-Hide-My-Dead-Body
Rated: E · Essay · Other · #1776383
What are your plans for your dead body?
Where to Hide My Dead Body?


I'd like to discuss death…not dying or even the spiritual beliefs associated with this natural process, but I'm speaking of the human body after it finished with life. I have finally reached a period in my life where I can think about and discuss this subject. I find my family is not interested in discussing it. For some reason we are uncomfortable acknowledging someone we are speaking with is going to die.

I understand their reticence. They are, after all, my progeny. I refused to talk to my mother about her death when she would bring the subject up. All I knew was that she was determined to donate her body to the state medical school and I was aghast. I knew in my heart I could not possibly do such a thing. However, when she actually died, I found I could NOT override her wishes. It was her body, not mine.

Several months later I began to have dreams--nightmares to be more exact. I dreamed Mother was walking the earth and could not find peace because she had not been properly buried. It was not pleasant.

Many people in our town called to ask me how they could donate their bodies. Mother was a gifted singer and able to create so much with her hands. She gave to others selflessly. Why I should I be surprised her death gifts of corneas to those who could not see?

It's time when my wishes need to be written down and given to responsible people to carry out. But, I only knew what I did not want....not what I wanted. I refused to permit any of my family to pay thousands of dollars having me "properly" buried. The other option was the one my mother made. I didn't really care for that idea as either. I would not mind medical students using my body for practice. I, however, would hate for them to laugh at what my body looked like by the time I reached them. I am at present 67-years-old and not inclined to show the old bod off.

Cremation? I don't want to be cooked for hours past well-done. Yes, I know. I will not be one with my body any longer at that time, but the idea just doesn't work for me. My father died in a house fire and I still find it tough to think about.

Not long ago I discovered the Body Farm in Knoxville, TN. Under the sponsorship of the University of Tennessee, bodies are laid there to rest in the environment and studied as Nature takes it course. I suppose its my Indian heritage that makes we feel this is a more natural way of returning to the earth. I listened to a book-on-tape, Beyond the Body Farm by Dr. Bill Bass & Jon Jefferson, about the work they do there. By the time the book ended, I was certain this is what I want to do with my body.

I wrote to the Body Farm and asked for information. I soon received a packet in the mail. It was simple really. I only had to fill out a piece of paper and have two people witness my signing of my own free will and that my desire to donate my body to Body Farm. To say that I am excited to go there might be an understatement....I am not ready to quit living my life on earth just yet. Unfortunately, we must all come to a decision about what to do with our own remains. And, I am so content and at peace with my decision.

Dr. Blass is a well-known forensic anthropologist who founded the Body Farm. It was the world's first and only major scientifc facility devoted to studying human decomposition. His first book was named Death's Acre. Important studies there make life for the living better. Many times information discovered there is used to free wrongly accused people who are in jail or on their way. Or, the information may be whats puts a murder away.
I find it exciting to think that first, I will be able to donate my organs to help the living and then, my body will be transferred to Knoxville's Body Farm where important research occurs. I like the idea of something I have no longer any use for, being able to help others.

I will be in Heaven one day while my body carries on making society a better place. I can't wait to see my family again. If you are in doubt about whether there is a Heaven or not, let me refer you to Todd Burppo's There Really is a Heaven. Wow! When I finished this book, I was ready to go!

My advice is to consider the fact that we all die someday. How can you make a meaning contribution to others? Isn't that a much better thought than being in an expensive coffin in a costly funeral where everyone spends beaucoup money on smelly flowers? Or, perhaps, you prefer to be incinerated?

© Copyright 2011 Rixfarmgirl (rixfarmgirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776383-Where-to-Hide-My-Dead-Body