*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776556-The-stand-of-Pele-and-Poseidon
by Karyn
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1776556
Earth and Air, Fire and Water. Each must maintain a balance with the other.
The battle waged fierce, dense clouds covering the field, choking all mortal who set foot there.

The two combatants faced each other, a duel to the death.  A woman in a soft, fluttering dress the color of fire and long, deep brown hair.  A man in sea blue robes and a thick beard, a crown of coral atop his snow white hair.

"Why do you bar my way, brother?"  The young woman on the rumbling volcano spoke mildly.  Yet for all her serenity, a fierce strength bubbled inside her, an untameable fire.  "Surely, there is room plentiful on this Earth for you."

"'Tis an ancient battle, dear fire."  The man stood strong on the shore, never wavering in his gaze nor stance.  "The laws of the Great One must be upheld."

"Truly, they must.  But you indeed are generous enough to spare me but a little more land.  For my islands are very small and others, so large."

"Indeed, I am generous."  He nodded.  "But the Balance must be kept, my sister!"  And he raised his hand up sharply, bringing the waves ever higher to crash against the rocky shore.

"Very well!"  She cried, throwing her hands to the sky, bringing fire from the tops of the mountains.


The smoke and fire and water mingled in the empty field, a voice whispering through it...

"We shall see, in time, who the final victor will be..."
© Copyright 2011 Karyn (kaikanosei at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1776556-The-stand-of-Pele-and-Poseidon