*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1780323-The-Angelus-Codex
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1780323
Love is forbidden by the Angelus Codex, especially between angels and werewolves
Angelina stepped outside, and took a deep breath as she took in the beauty of the night: the sounds of crickets, the feel of a cool breeze on her skin, and the sight of the full moon, starting to rise on the horizon, an eerie, golden glow enveloping it. 

She tried to smile, but it faltered.  As much as she was entranced by the beauty of these nights, she also knew that danger lurked with the rising of the full moon.    She had been warned to stay inside on nights like these by her companions.  But she refused to follow their advice, to follow their warnings…she was not afraid of what lurked about on these nights.  How could she be?  The only thing she had to fear, was the wrath of her companions for going against the Angelus Codex, the guidebook for angels assigned to earth.   

Angelina glanced behind her with her dark blue eyes, making sure no one was watching her.  After making certain she was alone, she spread her translucent wings, and jumped into the air, speeding away on the breeze.  She felt free in the air, but a deep anxiety was pitted in her stomach as she rode the air currents.  What she was doing was clearly against the rules laid down in the Angelus Codex.

Codex rule #23: Angels are not to associate with any evil on earth, except to vanquish it: this includes, but is not limited to, vampires, demons, werewolves,shapeshifters, witches, magicians, and other monstrous creatures.

Angelina smiled wryly as she landed in the clearing.  Breaking this rule was punishable with a century of exile, or worse, depending on the degree of the crime.

Angelina heard a soft growl behind her, and her heart skipped a beat as she turned.  She glanced into the woods behind her, and saw the dark fur of a wolf.  Her blue eyes softened with recognition upon looking into the wolf’s human-like, green eyes. 

    “Luke,” she whispered as she started towards him.  The wolf started in her direction as well.  With each step, Luke transformed from a dangerous animal into a handsome, though somewhat hairy, man. 

“Angelina,” he whispered when they fell into each others arms.  “I was worried you wouldn’t come.  I was afraid someone had found out about us…”

“Of course I came,” she murmured back, burying her face into his shoulder.  “Nothing can keep me from being with you.  I love you so much, Luke.”

Luke leaned over and kissed her, and she melted at his touch.  Angelina knew the danger that was involved with their relationship, but she couldn’t help it; she loved Luke.  Not only did the Codex forbid association with werewolves, it also forbid physical passion.  The combination of the two was a recipe for trouble, not only for Angelina, but for Luke as well. 
But despite the danger, they had secretly met, determined to be together, sharing in a forbidden romance, that of an angel and a werewolf.

Suddenly, the silent forest came alive with sound.  Luke snarled, and fell back into a half-crouch.  Angelina’s eyes went wide with fear when she glanced up at the sky, and saw them. 

Three angels descended on the clearing, glowing in a fiery, angry light.  They surrounded Luke and Angelina, eyes cold as they glared at them.

Angelina recognized the tallest of the three: an angel named Oriel. 

Oriel drew a sword from his side, and stated with the voice of a a judge, “Angelina, you have broken several of the laws explicitly stated in the Angelus Codex. The gravity of these crimes is severe, and the punishment due to you, is death.”

All three angels drew their swords.  Angelina stared wide-eyed at the other angels, still clinging to Luke.  Death for an angel meant complete and utter oblivion.  She would no longer exist, in the flesh or in spirit. 

“Wait!” Luke howled as the angels lifted their swords.  They paused briefly, and glanced at Luke hatefully, fire in their eyes.  “Wait.  Don’t punish Angelina.  I am the evil one.  I am the one that deserves punishment, that deserves death.  Kill me instead!  I offer myself in her place.”

The angels glanced at each other, and shrugged their shoulders, grins lighting up their faces.  “Very well, werewolf.” 

Angelina screamed, “NO!” as one of the angels swung his sword towards Luke.  However, the sword collided with another blade, missing its mark by mere inches.

Angelina and Luke blinked in surprise.  Oriel, the angel who had passed judgment, had stopped the other angel’s attack.  The other angels looked at Oriel with a questioning look in their eyes.

  Oriel’s eyes flickered between all of the people gathered.  He scolded, “None of you have read the entire Codex, have you?”

None of the angels responded. 

Oriel continued, “Anyone who had would know, that Codex rule #3,333 clearly states, anyone who willingly and selflessly offers their own life in place of another, regardless of their crimes, is to be given the utmost respect and their freedom.”

Oriel moved his sword and thrust it into the ground, bowing slightly to Luke.  The other two angels followed his example. 

Oriel then turned to Angelina.  “Angelina, it’s time to go.” 

She shook her head in confusion.  “Go?  Where am I going?  I can’t go anywhere!  I’m staying here with Luke—”

“You’re being reassigned to another galaxy,” Oriel interrupted her. 

Angelina’s eyes began to well up with tears.  “I can’t leave Luke behind…”

Oriel’s eyes softened.  “You don’t have to worry about that.  The Angelus Codex for the galaxy you are being transferred to is much more lenient; and Luke is going with you.  And you two never have to be separated, because you are being assigned as his Guardian Angel.”

Angelina and Luke glanced at each other in delighted surprise.   

“Well,” Luke said, clearing his throat,  “I guess it was a good thing they found out about us.  Because now, we’ll be together for eternity.”

Word count:  993
© Copyright 2011 Sarah Kate (falloutoflove at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1780323-The-Angelus-Codex