*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782160-Always-Listen-to-Mother
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1782160
Not much gore, just the concept. How unusual for me :)
It was night time. I had just woken up to a sound, but I couldn’t place it. Must have been due to the drowsiness people encounter when they first wake up. I got up and stretched, and made my way out of my room and downstairs. Lightning flashed as I descended the stairs.

“Mom? Dad? Where are you?” I called out into the dark. No responses. I crept along the living room, and found a light switch, and flicked it on. Nothing. The power must be out, I thought, the storm is pretty wicked out there. I tried finding my way to the door leading to the garage, to see if both cars were gone. I held my cell phone close to my side for comfort.

The floor creaked below my delicate footsteps, as I slowly made my way towards the door. As I reached out to open the door, I heard a sound from behind me. I whirled around, and found myself face to face with a stranger. The whites of their eyes glowed in the dark, and their irises were a sickly luminescent green. I screamed and ran, forgetting to check and see if my parents’ cars were gone.

“MOM! DAD!” I screamed over and over again to the no longer empty house, and as I ran towards the stairwell, through the kitchen and living room, more and more people like the stranger with the weird green eyes showed. They were behind every corner, in every nook, just staring at me. My light brown eyes whirled about in fear, looking at each and every one of them. I hurried up the stairs, reached for the banister but nearly tripped and fell down the stairs in the process. As I finally reached the top, my phone rang. It was my mom.

“Mom? Where are you, what happened?” I asked in a rush.

“Sweetie, it’s okay. I told them they should have taken you along with us, but you were sleeping, and they didn’t want to wake you.”

“Mom what happened? Where are you? Where’s Dad? Where’s my brother?”

I ran hurriedly, peeking into every room. I looked into mine first and opened my closet door, only to find one of the green eyed strangers. I screamed a very rasp and hoarse scream, since I was starting to lose my voice. I ran out of the room and into my brother’s, only to find the same results. I began to panic when I found no evidence that my family had not been here recently, and it seemed that the people with the eerie green eyes were starting to take over the house.

“It’s a long story sweetheart. Just go back to bed okay? Pretend nothing happened. Go. Back. To. Bed.” My mother told me, in almost a demonic fashion. I jerked the phone away from my head half from fright and half from shock.

I ran into the hallway connecting our bedrooms with our parents. I heard a loud noise. It was coming from my parent’s bedroom, it was like someone was raking their fingers along a chalkboard, along with the horrid tune of raspy screams, and moaning.

“Jessie, listen to me, do not go into my room! You hear me? Jessie! Answer me!”

“Mom, I have to go…there’s some weird loud noise coming from your room.” I whispered. I could barely hear my mom anymore the noise was so loud. And the smell, the smell was awful. It smelled like something had gone bad.

I could barely hear my mother’s voice yelling at me from the phone still, telling me to not go in. I crept closer and closer, the smell becoming overbearing, the noise as loud as a plane, overwhelming every other thought I had so far. I grabbed hold of the knob, twisted, and pushed in. the ceiling fan light was on, and it lit up the room. The pure white walls were spattered with blood, the dresser on the right was on its side, and there was a body lying on the king size bed, a single, rotting corpse.

It turned its head to me, the pink muscle and empty eye sockets staring at me. Before I knew what had hit me, one of the green eyed people came from behind me and pushed me into the room, right beside the corpse. It grinned and reached out for me and took hold of my neck. I writhed and choked, but it released me and grabbed my hair, for it had a better hold of me then. It pulled me on top of it with an unknown strength, and held me as it began devouring me, to make me a corpse along with it. Many of the green eyed strangers gathered around the bed, watching their master feast. Their luminescent green eyes glowed in the poorly lit room, glowering over me, drawing closer and closer, crowding me in, almost suffocating me, as my raspy near silent screams echoed in the house filled with the green eyed strangers.
© Copyright 2011 TheDreamer (daisygirl978 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1782160-Always-Listen-to-Mother