*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1789766-Arthurs-Tail-ch-1-3
by tara
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1789766
Follow Arthur and his family through all their struggles and hardships.
The Saga of Safe Haven

Arthur







Prolog




         Hi my name is Adolfo I am a werewolf mix, I was born in the 1800’s here on earth in a place ran by the White Coats. Who were a group of humans that were trying to create the ultimate warrior. I do not fully understand all of that, as at that time, I was more worried about escaping and staying free to worry about the reason why they wanted me. There is much I still do not understand, like Dominique’s involvement with all of this. I knew he was always in the background, however, I do not understand exactly why. He is also the reason I have a son named Arthur. In those days I would of never brought a child into the world. I did not wish to bring a child into that kind of life. I want you all to know it was my shame that kept me from telling Arthur the truth. It was nothing he did. Since the day I met my oldest son, I was proud of him and nothing will ever change that. Through the years he has only made me prouder. My wife and I also have a son together named Troy and we are booth very proud of both our boys. Troy has also accomplished many things. However I am not going to explain all of that right now. The other morning I was setting outside the with the warm summer breeze blowing around me surrounded by my thoughts and memories when I realized we do not have any written family history. Yet my family has many things to be proud of. I went and got a journal and started to research our family and everything we went through to get where we are today. When talking with Carlo a friend of mine, I realized just what I had to do to help you understand it all. Now I am sitting here at my desk in my large office surrounded by all my notes and journals along with all the information I have gathered. The window in front of me is open and sunlight is shining in. Though we live in a compound at Safe Haven the compound is made of magically enhanced glass that allows us to have trees and all inside it. It is rather nice and we are in no way trapped here but I will explain about all of this at a later time. I will start with the year 3000, A.D. when Arthur and his people forever changed our lives. During this time the supernatural society, which was ran by the wizards and sorcerers, claimed themselves as our government with Kennan as their leader. They called all the people that they rescued from the White Coats, Grays and set up a group known as the Whites to over see them. The Grays were treated no better then the serfs were in their time. During this time many cultures and races had their own  leaders and were fighting for control. They all had one thing in common, no one talked about their culture or messed with humans. As if this was not enough there were several other groups trying to take over. One of which was an underground group few knew of, known as The Revolutionary’s. Erick was in charge of this group and was determined to have total control, he wanted to control all of earth.  My son Arthur had an underground group known as the brother and sister hood their goal was to set all people free and some how unite them. The group is still around but now it is not so active as we have Safe Haven, Like I said, I will get to that later. What you need to know about the year 3000 is that there were many dangers for all of us and there was no safe place where we could go. The few of us that were free were in constant danger of either being killed or enslaved. Now, let me tell you how one single decision set in motion a series of events that would make Safe Haven possible and lead to the war of the century. I will try my best to record these events exactly as they happened. It all started with the meeting of two of the worst men you will ever meet Erick and Alberto.



Chapter 1




         It is early evening and the sun has not yet set at the sorcerers stronghold, which is a long two story log building. Inside, a short, skinny sorcerer with light brown hear and coal black eyes, known as Erick, is walking toward his office while reading a letter from Alberto. When he reaches the door he opens it and goes in the small room which immediately lights up with magical light. Erick, barely notices this, he has been a sorcerer his whole life, so seeing the room light up without the use of candles, lamps or anything like that is nothing new to him. Shutting the door behind him, and placing a spell so that he will not be bothered, he walks to his desk sitting in the comfortable black chair that is there. Looking down at the letter he thinks, Yes, this is my only option. The last vampire I made a deal with still has not come through with any plan. That was Carlo. He said he would gladly take Arthur off my hands, but he refuses to destroy him.

         Arthur has overstepped his bounds for the last time. Who does he think he is, going above my head, and asking for me to be removed from office, and him only being a Gray?

         What is The Supernatural Society coming to? Allowing Grays to run a group and letting humans know about our ways. It is amazing they have not been overthrown way before now. . . Yes, with all that is happening, it should be easy, especially once Arthur is out of the way. This Gray is definitely out of control, even the White Coats could not control him with the chip they placed in him. No, that fool resists the power of it. He is the only one that has ever been able to do that. That is the only reason Arthur has more freedom than the other Grays. All of them are no better than the monsters they are sent to kill. That is why they are all Grays. They should all be grateful that they are allowed to live, and we do pay them. It is not much, but it covers what they need. If they follow our orders the chip or their family is not used against them.  Yet Arthur refuses to follow my rules. It does not help that our governor seems to favor Arthur because of the way he handles things. Actually many of the leaders of the different groups like and respect Arthur.

         This is one of the many reasons Arthur must die. He has found out our plans, and is now trying to stop us. Looking back through all the past events, and all Arthur has been allowed to get away with. I am left with no choice, Arthur must die.

         Now I am forced into making a bargain with the vampire Alberto. One of the most deadly, and ruthless killers of all time. Alberto has been around for centuries, and he is the only one that has been able to elude Arthur time and time again. For this reason I have arranged to meet with him. If he has been able to keep away from Arthur, then maybe he can kill him. With any luck, they may just kill each other. That way I would not have to worry about either of them ever again. I do not mind using creatures like Alberto to accomplish my goals. Once he completes this task for me, I will end the temporary truce, unless there is a way to benefit from it.

         Yes, by the end of the week Arthur will be off my hands once and for all.

         With these thoughts in his head Erick gets up to go and make the finale arrangements for the meeting with Alberto.



.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .



         

         Miles away, deep in the woods at an old house, a tall and lengthy man with jet black, slicked back, greaser hear from the sixties and ice blue eyes known as Alberto has received the final later from Erick. He places it in his safe and heads to make sure all is in place. He no sooner enters the main room of the house when one of his men comes in handing him a note with the royal family‘s seal on it. Taking it he dismisses the man with a wave of his hand and heads once more for the privacy of his office. To read it as he wonders, what they could possibly want from him. Walking into the dark office he smiles, unlike many others, his clan doesn’t use fire, magic or electricity to light up their hideouts, for he sees no reason for such none since after all they can see just fine without it. Actually his clan has very few comforts; he will not tolerate laziness, and he feels that they are all stronger because of this.

         He sits down in the wooden chair behind his desk and placing the note down on top of it he stares down at the paper thinking, I can not believe my luck, they have heard about my plan with Erick and are asking me to turn Arthur and his family over to them. For this they will let me live as I choose to live, do all that I want to do. This could not get much better.

         When I heard, from a reliable source, that Arthur’s direct supervisor wanted him done away with, I made plans to trick the sorcerer into handing Arthur over to me. I couldn’t believe my luck; the fool bought it, and is practically handing him over on a silver platter. Sure I will have to do the killing, but I do not have a problem with that.  I prefer it that way. He is the fool that thinks I will leave all the others alone after this. What luck that he is so smug to think that I will honor a treaty with him, more the fool him for that. Yes, everything is falling perfectly into place.          I can not believe my luck, they have heard about my plan with Erick and are asking me to turn Arthur along with his family over to them. For this they will let me live as I choose to live, do all that I want to do. This could not get much better.

         Getting out a piece of paper and pen he writs his reply to the royal family:

         Arthur’s head is mine. I will not give that up. However I will hand over the woman and child to you for the freedom to do as I please, with no interference from any of you. That is all that I will agree to, nothing more. And he places his mark at the bottom. Sealing it up he calls in one of his runners to deliver it. Noticing the time, he gets up and leaves the office to go get ready for the meeting with Erick.



.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .



         By this time Dominique is at home in his study, and has received conformation that all is in place. This average man, with dale brown hear and brown eyes, smiles to himself as he picks up the file from the desk. With this in hand he walks over to the shredder and slowly starts to drop the letters and notes into it thinking, It is too easy to manipulate people into doing my dirty work. I only made sure Alberto got the news, and I knew what Alberto would do with that news. All I had to do was offer a false pardon from the royal family. No one will ever know it is me pulling all the strings.

         Looking at what is left of the notes, letters, and all the paperwork that will lead to the end, he thinks,It is too bad that Alberto will only be able to be my pawn for a short time. I can not risk him killing Arthur. That man is more valuable to me than any of the others, and a big part of my over-all plans. Really, the only thing that was not planned was for someone else to steal Arthur from me. After all the trouble I went through to get him back, just to have the sorcerer show up and take him from me

          Sure, I was not there; I am too smart for that. I sent others like always; I never get my hands dirty. The humans had agreed to kidnap the kids for me only asking for a small some of money in return. They knew the child I wanted was Arthur. When the sorceress showed up they had no choice, but to hand all the children over to them including Arthur. I have been trying for years to bring Arthur back, but all my attempts have failed. Looking back that has been for the best, after all, now I might have two prodigies instead of just one.

         Alice has borne a son that looks so much like his father it isn’t even funny. Once I have them all, I will test the boy, if he has his father’s abilities I will let them breed again or force them to. It really does not matter to me as long as I get what I want. Arthur is stubborn, but with the use of his family I know my little prodigy will cooperate. He will do just as I say if I have his wife and son in my control. They will also do as I want to keep Arthur safe. Yes, this time my little prodigy will be brought to heel at my side, where he should have always been. This is why Arthur was created. He will be brought back where he belongs to complete what was started years ago. I will now be the one in control. I will rule it all.

         I have to bring in another pawn to complete my plans.  I can not send any of my people to do this, that would be too risky. I will have to use Carlo; that vampire will do anything to save my little prodigy. I do not know why, but it works out in my favor. I will have to plan it so that Carlo arrives after all has begun. I know my prodigy can handle more than most, but in this case, he may need help. I do not want Carlo there too soon, or I will not be able to get to Arthur’s family. I will just have to hope for the best, and if all else fails, I am sure Carlo will change Arthur if need be. He would never let him die. I will cross that bridge when it arises. Billy may have his father’s abilities and I will be able to use him if Arthur becomes unmanageable after a change. It also might work out in my favor; Arthur could become unstoppable, a true fighting and killing machine, just as he should be.


         Dominique picks up the remains of the shredded paper and walks to the hearth where he drops them into the fire and watches them being consumed by the flames. As the last one is dissolved he thinks,Now it is time to set the stage for the last leg of my plan.

         He straitens his tie and leaves the room to go and make the finale arrangements.



CH. 2
 

         It is now time for the meeting and Erick along with two of his comrades pull up to a beat-up, run-down one room cabin deep in the woods.

         “This looks like it,”

         says the man driving the car. Steeping out of the car Erick wonders just how safe this place is.

         It looks ready to collapse at any minute, he thinks as he is walking toured it. Opining the door he waves his hand and a dime light files the rustic, dusty, cobwebbed infested room. In the center of the room is an old planked wooden table with benches on both sides of it, where Albert and two of his men are sitting.

         Grinning Alberto jesters for them all to sit commenting,“It took you long enough to get here. What did you do get lost?”

         Taking a seat Erick answers,“Not really lost, it was just further away than I had planed in it being. Nice spot for all of this.”

         Impatiently Alberto answers,“Yes, I use this quit often at times. Enough small talk, lets get to the reason we are all here. There is something else I will need in order to accomplish what you want me to do. I think it would be in both of our interests, as we would not want any problems in the future.”

         “What is that?” Erick asks in a conversational town.

         Alberto bluntly answers, “I want Arthur’s family delivered here, unharmed, the night after the battle.”

         Erick is a little surprised by this as he had not considered them important, plus he knows their disappearance would be harder to hide. So he simply replies,“I do not see the use of that. What are you going to do with them?”

         Alberto bluntly answers, “I have my reasons and I do not like leaving things to chance. You will hand them over to me or I will not destroy Arthur for you.”

         Erick calmly replies, “I had no plans for them. I see no reason why that cannot be arranged. I want the ring Arthur wears as proof that he is dead.”

         “That is not a problem.” grinning he adds “would you like the finger it is on along with the ring?”

         “No that is quit all right the ring is all I need.”

         “I will give you the ring in exchange for the boy and his mother. They must not be harmed in anyway. I need them alive and well. Do you understand that?”

         “That's not a problem. I will make sure they are unharmed. You have my word on that.”

         “Good then we are done here. I will meet you at dusk the day after the fight. You will have them here at that time.”

         “Yes, that can all be arranged.” Erick replies while getting up.

         They shake on the arrangements made, and Erick, walking out the door smiles as he thinks about all that he has accomplished this night. He looks forward to a relaxing night spent with the knowledge that soon Arthur will get just what he deserves.

         Yes, tonight will be a good night, he thinks as he climbs into the back seat of the black car with his men and they head for home.



.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .



         A few hours later Alberto is back at his hideout and calls all his men into the main room to go over all the details of what is to come. After all of them are standing in front of him he starts to explain his plans to them all.

         “We are going to destroy Arthur and his men at the field Dead Run tomorrow night. I have just finished all the details with Erick. Then I will notify the royal family that I have the boy and his mother and where they can meet us to retrieve them. I will meet with Erick at dusk and give him the ring. At ten pm I will meet with the royal family, this way there is no chance of Erick still being there. Once the royal family arrives, I will have two of you bring the boy and his mother outside. That is when we will kill them. That will cause enough of a distraction for us to kill off the royal family that has come to retrieve them. After we have destroyed all of them there, we will go and attack their stronghold destroying them all. They will have no idea that we are coming. Then I will be king and we will be the new royal family.”

         They all shout and cheer.

         “The first battle will be tomorrow get a good days rest for the night will be our new beginning.”

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .



         First thing Erick does in the morning, when he arrives at work, is prepare the orders that will send Arthur to his death. Sealing them in an envelope, he calls in a gray, handing the packet to the man he says, “deliver these orders to Arthur and his men and do not delay. They are of the utmost importance.”

         The man takes the packet answering,“Yes sir.”

         “You are dismissed, now hurry.” 

         With that the man turns on his heels and leaves the room in a brisk walk. Alone once more, in his office, Erick contemplates on how he can come through with the rest of the deal he has made. Thinking to himself,Arthur always has them guarded by some of his friend’s whenever he is on a quest. I will need to get them away from Alice long enough to get them out of the house. I will come up with something. I still have time for that.

         With plans made and the orders sent out he thinks, now all I have to do is wait for it all to come about. In the mean time, I have work to get done, however tonight I will celebrate.





Ch. 3
 

         When Arthur wakes up this morning he carefully slides out of bed so that he does not wake his sleeping wife, and quietly leaves the room. He stops by his son’s room to check on him on his way to the kitchen to make coffee. Hearing foot steps on the walk he goes to open the door. The man there is one of the Grays from base Arthur takes the packet the man is holding out to him saying, “Good morning”

         Smiling the man answers,

         Smiling the man answers, “Good morning sir, will you need anything else?”          

         “Yes, Just one moment.” Arthur answers and motions the man to follow him inside. Arthur then writs a note and hands it to the man saying.

         “Please take this to Lanis on your way back.”

         “Yes sir.”

         The man answers and takes the note then walks out the door. Arthur closes it and walks back into the kitchen grabs two cups of coffee and heads back to his room wondering. how he is going to tell Alice he must leave again so soon. 

         Alice is now sleeping on her side, one leg slightly bent and her arm thrown across his pillow. The sheet is just below her shoulder with a hint of one breast peeking from under it. Her flaming red hair is sprayed behind her. Setting the coffee down on his night stand Arthur reaches his hand and lightly runs a finger down her cheek, to her slender perfectly formed neck to her bear shoulder to the hint of her breast, slowly sliding the sheet down to reveal the rest of her. Rubbing her now hard nipple he looks up at her and their eyes meet with the same burning fire.

         Tossing the sheet to the foot of the bed Alice rolls and stretches, “come here my knight, there is a fire you must now put out.”

Smiling removing his robe he gladly joins her on the bed…..   

         Sated and content they lay in each others arms enjoying the after math of their love and lives together.

         Getting up Arthur runs his hand down the length of Alice’s back, saying, “Here is your coffee, sorry it is cold now.”

         Sitting up, Alice takes the cup pulling the sheet up with her to gaze at her husband as he slides his robe on and sits next to her on the bed. Smiling Alice asks,“Thank you. Have you checked on Billy?” 

         “Yes, he was sleeping when I came in here.” 

         “We must be getting up. He should be awake soon.”

         At this they here the patter of little feet running to their room, the door flies open and a little boy runs in and jumps on the bed.

         “I found you!”

         He exclaims as he snuggles up between the two of them. Arthur smiling ruffles his son’s too black hair and gets up saying, “I received new orders this morning. I will be going latter today.” He grabs his clothes and walk into the bathroom to shower.

          Alice sends Billy into the kitchen with her cup and joins Arthur in the shower. “So this is what’s going on. You are not very nice. Did you think that I would not be upset if you woke me up like that?” She says as she takes the soap from Arthur and motions him to turn around so she can wash his back.

         “I just was making up for lost time.” he answers with a boyish grin and takes the soap and cloth from her and washes her back.

         “I should be upset with you. You do know that don’t you?” 

         “Ah! But you love me and understand what I do.”

         “Yes, but you have only been home a few days and now you have to leave again, I was hoping for some time together before you had to go again.”

         “I know, I can not help it. Someday it may be different but for now it is what we must do.”

         “When do you need to leave?”

         “Three this afternoon, we will have most of the day. Let’s make the best of it.”

         They finish their shower and go to see what Billy has found to get into. Their house is nothing fancy, just an old two bed room cabin with a small back porch. All of their furniture is hand made along with the clothes that they wear. There’s a small backyard that has an old oak tree in the middle of it with an old tire swing tied to the branch of it for Billy. To the left of this not ten feet away is an old lean-to for Arthur’s companion, Midnight, who looks like a horse. However companions, no mater what type of animal they are, are not normal animals. they are magical and each are unique in their own way. Arthur and Midnight can even talk to each other through a mental link that they have. Which Midnight has decided to use this morning.

         “When are you going to come and feed me? You have had your fun now you need to come and take care of me. To think that we will be leaving again today and you have not even come to feed me.”



         he thinks to Arthur and using the link Arthur answers,

         “I am coming.”

         Later that day, Arthur enters their small bed room and goes to the wooden dresser, beginning to pack his bag, thinking about everything that he and his men will need to do. First they need to go to base and get the rest of their gear and weapons. They were left there to be upgraded and repaired from the last battle.

         Placing his bow and quiver of arrows on his back and strapping on his sword, he can’t help, but think,

         this is not the life I want for our family, I will do all in my power to change all of this for them and the others like us. There is so much to do, but I will not rest till we are all free. This life will end and we will know piece, it is just a mater of time, for now though, I must be careful and not push my luck.

         Leaving the bedroom, he goes into the living room calling his son, “Billy daddy has to go. where‘s my good bye hug?” 

         Shortly his five year old son comes running out of his room to him, Arthur smiles snatching him up into his arms he give him a hug and kiss saying, “I love you little man. I have to go to work. You take care of mommy for me.”

         Billy wrapping his arms around his neck hugs him tightly saying.

         “Yes daddy, I will take good care of Mommy. I love you.”

         After giving him another hug Arthur places him back down. Hating the fact that he must leave them, yet knowing there is no choice, at least not right now. Alice and Arthur embrace as she sneaks the treats into his bag she says.

         “I love you dear, be careful and hurry home.” They kiss.

         “I love you to sweetheart take good care of my heart while I am out.”

         “I will” and as they kiss again “you take care of mine.” She whispers in his ear.

         “I will my love.” Arthur says with nothing, but love in his voice. Stepping out the door he adds, “if all goes well, we will be home tomorrow morning. If not we may go to the apple to recover. I will send word if there is word to send. Do not worry it is not as bad as it sounds. Trolls are not smart and we should get there before they do.”

         “I will try not to dear and don’t be foolish if it’s too much there is such a thing as help and retreat.”

         Alice reminds him though deep down she knows he is not that type of man. They share one last kiss,

         “I will keep that in mind, for you both.”

         “Bye I love you”

         They all say and Arthur walks the rest of the way out the door, waving one last time good bye as she shuts it. Their trusted friends along with Midnight are already there waiting for Arthur. Midnights is solid black so black he looks blue especially in this light. With muscles bulging, he paws at the ground impatiently. Arthur’s friends take their normal posts as he cinches up the saddle, double checking all the straps he says. “Thank you brothers, I should be home some time tomorrow morning.”

         “You are welcome brother Paladin,” They answer with nothing but respect in their voices.

         Arthur mounts up heading down the dusty dirt rode toured the finer part of town where all the normal sorcerers live. 

         Some day, some how, we are going to be free, we can not continue to live like this. Arthur thinks as he waves to the people he knows. The rest of his group joins him as he heads out of town.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .


         Only hours after Alice’s husband has left a knock on the door draws her attention from the dinner she is cooking. Wiping her hands on a dish rag she answers the door with a guard at her side she reminds herself, It is not uncommon for guest to come this late in the evening but not usually when Arthur is not at home. This is a little embarrassing at times but I understand Arthur’s concerns along with the need to protect Belly.



         She opens the door and comes face to face with a group of well dressed sorcerers known as the whites. Instantly she knows something isn‘t right, these sorcerers do not come to their part of town for no reason. She is too shocked to talk for a moment.  Looking disgusted, the tall blond haired men in the front says

         “We are sorry to inform you, your husband has bean wounded and taken prisoner. We are here to escort you and your son to Eric so that you can discuss what is to be done about it, so if you could please come with us.”

         Alice thinks to herself, What is he talking about? This does not make since and my son is definitely not going anywhere even close to them.



         With the appropriate polite nice Alice answers, “Give me a minute I will go with you. However my son well not need to come, how are the others?” She ask just to stall them for a minute and give her time to think this through.

         “They all perished in battle. It would be best if you do not waist time you and the boy will be safe with us. Your husband has not done anything wrong.”

         The way he said all of that only confirms her suspicions plus she remembers that Arthur had told her they were not going to be there till dark looking out the door she can see it is just sun set now.

         This dose not add up right something is wrong. This could set our plans back a ways but there is no choice we must leave. She thinks and answers, “Let me get some things together,” Turning to the woman standing beside her she nods her head and says, “Can you take my son to visit his uncle Adolfo?”

         “Yes ma’am I will do that.”

         With that the woman leaves to go send out the warning and get Billy to safety. The tall man that seems to be in charge says,

         “We were told to bring you both so you do not waist time.”          

         Alice clutching her wand hidden in her cloak says, “I understand that sir, but I will not have my son there to listen to battle plans. I well need to bring some of my friends as well.”

         At this some more of her guards come into the room. The man razing his voice,

         “Fine let your husbanded die alone! You Gray’s have over stepped your bounds for the last time! Get them boys!”

         As they move to do so they are suddenly hit by a strong force that sends them flying back into the street. Alice quickly closes the door grabbing up her son who has come running out with more of her friends trying to keep some more intruders back. Wrapping Billy protectively in her cloak Alice swings open the door as they all say different spells. The sorcerers are too stunned to react in time and are once again sent flying back into the street. Alice and her guards flee into the night still fighting off their pursuers sending blast back at them, they run into the woods. Alice wonders,

         What is really going on and where should we go? Is my husband dead or alive and what about the others? We are miles from Adolfo‘s clan or Lanis’s ranch. Yet I know I must get to one or the other as fast as possible, there is no way to make it to either one tonight. We must first try and escape our pursuers then make camp somewhere, we can not run all night especially not with Belly.

         Suddenly a line of armed centers appear in front of them bringing Alice out of her thoughts and she can’t help the sigh of relief at the sight of them, they normally would not involve themselves in this but this is Morning stars clan and he is a good friend of theirs. The sorcerers have no choice but to retreat.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .


         A few after leaving town Arthur and his men come to a small clearing hidden among the trees, that is a few miles away from the town they are to protect. Looking at his group of trusted friends Arthur says

         “We will make camp here.” Once this is done, “follow me.”

         Mounting their companions they go about half a mile coming to a huge field that is surrounded on all sides by trees. Looking at all five of his men gathered around him Arthur pulls out the packet and begin to read the orders.

         “We are to stop a group of trolls from entering the town. They say there are over 50 of them heading this way leaving a trail of death and destruction behind them. They well have to come through here in order to reach the town.  This is where we will make our stand.” Everyone gets into position for the fight. “All right men remember trolls may be as big as giants but they are nothing like them. We all know what must be done. If there leader and I do not agree than I will handle him. You all go for the wing men and then we will get the rest of them. Cleric stick to the trees and cover our flanks remember they are bigger than us, use your best battle skills and watch their clubs. Do not attack until I give the order.”

         “Yes sir!” They all answer, and all is in place by the time darkness falls.

         There are vary few stars in the sky tonight and they are far enough away from all others that no one will interfere. Plus the necessary spells have been placed around to keep the humans a safe distance away and make sure they will not hear the sound of battle. Midnight just in front of the line of trees stands steady, ears parked to listen as are Arthur‘s, both alert for any sound. The dark green of Arthur’s cloak fads into the blackness of the night leaving no shape for eyes to catch. There is only the slight shine of captured light from his blade as they wait. Just behind him hidden in the forest are his men and the other companions. Looking out over the darkened field Arthur feels the normal eagerness and anticipation his body is more then ready for a fight, yet he is in control. I will not let this affect me. He thinks

         “Do not worry, I to am here for you, you are not a killer and we all know that.” Midnight says through the link.

         Arthur thinks, “Thank you.” Some times I wonder if Midnight is the only sane voice in my head, how many times, has he pulled me out of one of my rare fits.

         “More then we can both count,”


         Midnight reapplies with a hint of a smile coming through the link. Arthur’s senses are almost as good as any wolfs but he can barley make out the group of men all marching toured them from the lift side of the field.

Squinting he thinks

         What are they doing here and who are they? Surly they are not human and Adolfo would not dare come here, nor would Jasmines clan as this is neutral ground.

         They hold their ground watching the approaching men and Arthur narrows his eyes in anger as he see the one man he has been trying to kill for years approach with his clan of demons. Watching them he thinks,

         There must be at least 30 of them if not more. We will be badly outnumbered, and don’t have the proper weapons. We do have our magic, and the advantage of surprise, yes, even if the trolls are with them we should be able to take them. All the rules just changed, and I can enjoy this, we will be helping many by getting read of this clan.

         He gives the signal for his men to begin the battle as soon as they are close enough. They are all Determined that this time this clan of demons will not get away from them this time. Razing his voice Arthur shouts,

         “Alberto your head is mine! Today you will die!”

         With an evil grin, Alberto replies,

         “At least one of us will.”

         With that Midnight rears up, mane becoming bright red, tail posed up and blowing out, and hooves alight with flames, his eyes as black as the rest of him, a fire ball shouts out at the approaching army. Arthur raises his sword and lightning bolts hit the ground around the enemy, many fall dead to the ground as the fire and lighting hits them. Coming down on all fours Midnight charges with the other companions right behind them. From behind him Arthur hears guns and cross bows jam as his men tried to use them. Still arrows fly ahead of him as they use there long bows. None of them hesitate as they begin to slice through the vampires. The sounds of battle fills the air and many more smoldering bodies fall to the ground. Midnight jumps sideways smashing into a man sending him crashing to the ground throwing off Arthur’s swing, the man he almost beheaded loses the top of his scale still a killing blow, both men light up in flames. Seeing one of his men in bad need of help Arthur leaps off Midnight bringing his sword down, cutting a vampire in half. Whirling their backs to each other Arthur and his man soon have dozen more dead around them. Pulling out his boot knife Arthur sends it flying across the field, finding its mark in the center of a vampire’s chest. Now aware of his position, another of Arthur’s men strikes him dead. Out of the corner of his eye Arthur sees Clark leaping from a tree sending an arrow into a vamps chest the man stagers almost falling Lanis’s sword finishing him off as he hits the ground. Arthur knowing Lanis is doing fine on his own as are his other men continues to fight his way to Alberto. From the corner of his eye Arthur sees a vamp come dashing at him swinging his sword in a complete three sixty Arthur sends the vamps head flying through the air to land at Alberto’s feet. Over the sound of clashing swords, they all hear Alberto shout.

         “Now.”

         Thousands of arrows fill the air hitting the ground around Arthur and his men. To their shock and horror they slice through their magical shields and they all take hits. One with an arrow to the shoulder, another takes a hit in the side and two of Arthur’s men and there companions fall dead to the ground. Lanis is grazed a caroused his lift side as he was pined down at the time with a vampire on top of him. the vampire was not so lucky and took many arrows to the back Lanis finishes him off. Arthur and Midnight booth take an arrow to one of their lags. Midnight stumbles and falls, Arthur just manages to roll out of the way as his energy too seems to drain away. All but Lanis seem to be affected. He has never fight so hard in his life, with one mighty swing of his sword four heads go flying, with a flick of his lighter the bodies erupt in flames as he continues to fight. Seeing Arthur fall his men stop and look at him in shock, Arthur shouts,

         “fight with your swords, cover each others backs! Get it together men!”

         hearing this they seem to gain hope and start to do as he had ordered, though deep down Arthur knows there is little hope.Arthur pulse the arrows out of his and Midnights lags and they struggle to their feet, stumbling forward determined not to go out without a fight. The vampires surrounding them seem unwilling to come to close and Alberto coming through the crowed shouts,

         “No one is to touch the Paladin! He is mine!”

         Arthur watches helplessly as his men and their companions fight for their lives thinking,

         I must do something to save them,

         with as much strength as he can gather he raises his arm saying a few words, instantly intense pain sweeps through his head, clutching his head he stumble over something falling to the ground his sword flying out of his hand. Forcing his eyes to look up at the sky, all hope leaves him, there is no sign, it had not worked.

         what in the world is happening to us?

         He thinks as Alberto walks up to him with an evil grin Alberto jesters to two of his men.

         “Help him up boys.”

         They grab Arthur’s arms yanking him to his feet, he treys in vain to struggle free.

         Laughing Alberto says.

         “You aren’t so tough anymore Paladin, are you?”

         Arthur spits in his eye as Midnight with the last bit of his strength charges the men. Alberto slaps Arthur with such force it splits his cheek nearly braking his jaw and Arthur spits out two teeth. Alberto seeing Midnight yells,

         “shoot that beast!”

         Arthur feels the arrow as if it is going into his own hart and not Midnights. Arthur barley noticing his own condition in a fit of rage manages to struggle free, grabbing one of the men’s swords instantly killing him. swinging the sword Alberto’s head goes flying his lifeless body falls to the ground dissolving in a ball of flames. Arthur feels a burning pain deep in his side as a blade enters it ripping through cloak, leather armor, flesh and bone, blood flows out of the wound and he collapses to the ground. Knowing That he will never survive this wound, Arthur closes his eyes to see the face of his wife and son for the last time.



         At that exact moment as all eyes are on Arthur, Jasmine’s hunting party shows up just in time to see all the vampires stop fighting and stare at a huge group that has gathered around someone. Jasmine looking over the field covered in dead smoldering body’s sees one man whose taking advantage of the distraction. Lanis, in a fit of rage, continues swinging his sword and destroying any in his way as he seems to be heading in the direction of the larger group of vampires. Just barley being missed by the vampires that have started to fight again.

         All he is thinking is that he must get to Arthur’s side. He knows the others are dead but seeing Alberto’s head fly through the air gave him hope Arthur may live.

         “Help him!”

         Jasmine orders as she points to Lanis and four of her party go to help the man. Hoping that they are not too late to save whoever is there, the rest head toward the biggest group that has gathered. After fighting their way through to the center of them all the first thing they see is many smoldering dead bodies, amongst them is Alberto’s ashes and the one man that all hold a deep respect for, the sorcerer Paladin. Jasmine their leader goes to Arthur’s side finding him on deaths door step and unconscious, knowing there is only one way to save him and there is only one man she trusts to carry this dyeing man,

         “Daron! hurry, take him to Carlo!”

         she orders and this is the last thing Arthur hears before total blackness surrounds him.

© Copyright 2011 tara (tara-a at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1789766-Arthurs-Tail-ch-1-3