*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1794769-My-Purpose-in-Life
Rated: E · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1794769
A short flash fiction story about a man contemplating his purpose in life.
While walking along the sunny Muriwai Beach in New Zealand, with the black sandy shore under my bare feet and the wind whipping through my hair, making the 76 degree weather feel even cooler, I contemplated my purpose in life.

My name was Christian, and I really hadn’t done anything substantial in my forty years of living. Sure, I was the first to go to college in my family, and I was a successful real estate salesman, with a beautiful architect for a wife, but with spending a large amount of my day behind a desk in a cubicle, how was that making a difference or even impacting my life in a meaningful way? I’ll tell you…it wasn’t.

I told my wife I had to get away from it all and just clear my head. And she completely understood; god bless her sweet heart.

So, as I was walking down the shore, I noticed a weird crescent shaped sea shell half buried in the black sand a few yards away from me. I walked towards it and picked it up. I put it to my ear, because that’s what everyone does with seas shells…right, and all of a sudden I heard, “You have been chosen.” Then suddenly, I was transported away, where I landed in a grassy field with people running away from my position. Some guy came running by me and handed me a gun. It was a gun I had never seen before, and I saw a lot back in my army days. He shouted to me, “Shoot! Shoot that thing!” I looked ahead and what I saw was some half elephant, half lizard looking thing and I wondered, could this be my purpose in life? I wasn’t positive, but I was damn sure going to find out.
© Copyright 2011 Hopeful Writer (comicman1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1794769-My-Purpose-in-Life