*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1799396-Specials---Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1799396
A Year Later - Liana is tired and wary.
Unable to work, I sat on my bed, staring at the floor. It was an ordinary day, where I avoided work, sneaking to rest while I wasn’t seen by Layce. But I knew, that if I stay in my room longer, I would be found. If I were found, my wages would go down. So what if my wages go down? Let’s say that my home would be bombarded with Wiener’s demanding screech, asking my family to sell the house. I knew that I should let my family first, but I was too tired to even think about standing up, much less working. I cursed myself for not having enough stamina.

I glanced at the bedside table to look at the only family photo I had. It was taken in a meadow full of daisies, on a bright, sunny day. I was crouched down, and Mother was holding my shoulders tight, our cheeks squashing each other’s. My Father stood up in the middle, his arm folded with pride. His jet-black hair was pointing everywhere, and he had his best fatherly smile. Even though it was taken two years ago, it felt like it was ten years ago, when my family was poor, but happy.

I shifted my eyes to the window bolted on the ceiling. The tie-dyed sky told me that the sun was setting. Some of the stars have already shown themselves as tiny white beads sewn on the sky. I immediately recognized the biggest star, the North Star. It gazed back at me, trying to pull me in. I admired the strength and power it seemed to release.

I was interrupted by footsteps thumping the floor, towards my room. I was immediately pulled back to reality, and I knew in an instant, that it was Layce. 

I knew, that she was going to extend the working hours.

I straightened myself. At least I could make myself presentable, I thought.

The door banged open, and Layce stomped in, her big chest held high and intimidating.

"Humph, Liana Fuller. What do you think you are doing here? I thought you were doing your chores by the kitchen.” Layce glared at me with suspicion. Guilt overtook me as I stared at the floor.

"But… But ma’am, I need a rest for a while. You see, I have been doing chores for days, and I can’t do anymore unless I have a break… I will get to the chores now, ma’am.”

“Nonsense! You are already seventeen now,” Well, I was almost eighteen (I lost count of days. I might even be eighteen right now). But I didn’t correct her, because that means she would add more chores. “–and I hired you! I pay you more than anyone in town will for a servant like you.” I preferred the term maid or helper than servant, but Layce never calls me that. “If you want more payments, there is no space for rest. Go on, raise your small butt up, before I get the cane.” Layce growled. She always threatened me with the cane she didn’t even own. But I couldn’t take any chances. After all, she had other things in mind.

Few months ago, my phone was confiscated forever when I was caught talking to my friend on the phone. Also, on the second day I was hired, my working hours were suspended just because the cups and plates in the kitchen were not in the proper order (I didn’t even know the order!). So I made it my habit to double-check if the order is accurate.

I sighed, and hurried down the spiral shaped stairs. Layce’s house was very large (like her), which needed frequent cleaning. Layce even orders me to sweep the garden that surrounds the house; which is incredibly huge, and with the abundant winds, it was almost impossible to sweep all the leaves, and remove all the unwanted weeds that grew in a rapid speed every day. The garden led directly to the woods, where many insects inhabited, so it was easy for them to enter the house. Whenever Layce saw an insect, big or small (even an ant), she had to scream and order me to kill them. All of them.

The only good part of the garden was on the east side, where there was a highway liking north and south. I always liked to watch different cars and trucks passing by, and how the highway seemed to lead to a land of freedom. Maybe to the cozy log house, where my family lived. After all, it led to north, and the house was located somewhere north. I’ve always wished that my family had a car, so that they could visit me often.

Ever since last year when Layce hired me, I was never allowed to go out and explore places around the house. She told me that there were not much things to look at except the woods and the highway.

The white walls surrounding me were glistening with sunlight, and three floors seemed to glower at me with their polished railings, as if to say, hey, servant, I’m cleaner than you.

“I never had any time to clean myself because I had to clean you.” Gritting my teeth, I muttered with anger. The birds that I could see through the huge window on my right stopped and looked at me, as if they felt pity for me. Then they flew away towards the forest further away, as if they hadn’t seen me at all.

I continued down the stairs and went straight to the kitchen. It was huge, and clean (Thanks to me,) except the sink, but was covered in plates and cups. There was a huge party yesterday, because it was Mrs. Perkins’ birthday. She was a timid lady with a big laugh, and she was a kind person. Unlike Layce, she smiled at me and talked to me, not even caring about her husband staring at her in disgust, trying to say, you’re talking to a servant, a servant!

The plates either had breadcrumbs, or rice pieces. Some had puked fragments of food on it too. Probably it was Mrs. Danny’s five-month old baby Kevin, who still didn't have a single tooth. No wonder he puked. How can a toothless baby eat something that requires chewing? He was so cute, but was so noisy, crying, kicking, and constantly screaming.

I sighed, knitting my eyebrows with disgust. I stepped forward, one foot at a time, and started rubbing the washing liquid onto the sponge until I couldn't see the sponge itself at all, covered with snow-white froth. Then I picked up one of the plates, and scrubbed and polished it until it literally glowed. Then I started with the others too, doing the same on the cups and the other plates.

As I finished cleaning up the sink, and had put all the dishes into the right cupboards, I heard Layce yelling from upstairs,

“You are done for today. Now get out of the kitchen and go to your room!”

“Yes ma’am!” I smiled and yelled back. I didn’t expect Layce to not extend the working hours.

Not that I wanted that.

After all, this is the best thing that she could ever say in one, tiring, day.

© Copyright 2011 Ishanaz (isha518 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1799396-Specials---Chapter-1