*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1800290-Telephone-Nightmare
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Horror/Scary · #1800290
A short story about a nightmarish telephone call.
        The persistent ringing of the telephone pried me from the depths of the nightmare I had been drowning in. Drenched in sweat and fear, I reached for the telephone sitting on the nightstand next to my bed. “Hello,” I said. There was no answer, only breathing. “Who is this?” I said. Again, there was no answer, only breathing. “Last chance,” I said and when no one replied, I hung up.

         I flipped my pillow to the cool side and lay back down.  I rolled over to glance at the clock and wondered aloud to myself “I wonder who would call me so late and just breathe into the phone?” I closed my eyes and tried to remember what my nightmare had been about.

         Just as I was about to drift off to sleep again, the telephone started ringing. I reached out, grabbed the receiver and said “hello?”

         “You knew this would happen,” said the voice on the other end of the line.

         “I knew what would happen?” I said.

         “You knew one day this would happen.”

         “Who is this?” I cried.

         “I am your worst nightmare and you knew this would happen,” said the mystery voice.

         “I don’t know who you are, or what you are talking about. You have the wrong number.” I said to the mystery caller and I slammed the phone down.

         It was four o’clock in the morning; I was wide awake and scared. I thought to myself, should I call the police? I decided against it as I crawled out of bed, grabbed my robe and headed to the kitchen.

         When I reached the kitchen, I made myself a cup of coffee and grabbed my laptop. As long as I am awake, I might as well catch up on some work. While my ancient laptop booted up, I tried to figure out who the mystery caller was and what I was supposed to know would happen.

         Finally, my laptop was up and running. I clicked on my email icon and my email began to load, thirteen emails from myself. Why would I send thirteen email to me? I clicked on the first one. In block letters it said, YOU KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN.  I checked the second email, YOU KNEW THIS WOULD HAPPEN, I checked the third email, the same thing, after checking the fourth email I slammed the lid of my laptop shut. Why is this happening?

         I got up and moved into the living room and sat on the couch. Should I call the police? Will they think I am some lonely lunatic who needs attention? I was startled out of my reverie by a knock at the door. I got up and walked over to the door and looked through the peep hole. Someone was holding a sign in front of my door. It said you knew this would happen! I yelled through the door “go away or I am calling the police.”

         “Open the door,” yelled a familiar voice, “you knew this would happen, payback’s a bitch. Open the door sister it’s April Fool’s Day.”

© Copyright 2011 quinlangal (quinlangal at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1800290-Telephone-Nightmare