*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805783-The-Candles-Flame-Part-1-Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1805783
Chapter 1 of the first part.
Part 1: Chapter 1:

         Ellowyn stood breathless amid a group of her family members, her eyes unfocused and distant. Around her, people chatted excitedly, wishing her congratulations. She paid little attention to them at all, instead drifting her eyes to the elegant garnishes of the hall around her. The pale marble pillars, soft as eggshells; the glossy golden and white floors, glittery as stars. Even the potted plants, gilded in fancy, golden earthenware caught her eye. The fantastic sights around her, all of which she had grown up with, had never seemed more intriguing to the young girl.

         “And now, presenting Princess Ellowyn Saryniti Sindel” The announcement was loud and clear, made of a booming voice that invited Ellowyn to remove her eyes from the hall adornments. All eyes turned to her, quizzing her and judging her. She stepped forward to let the shape of her hand fall into that of her father; a large, rough figure that could swallow hers without effort. She looked into his eyes, pleading with him for relief, to allow her to leave. His return look was stern and warning, willing forced confidence into her blood and features.

         The music started. The two shapes flowed together with each step of the dance; one large and burly, the other miniature and soft. She moved easily and lightly, albeit clumsily, while he moved with practice and dignity. His pride showed upon his face, watching his daughter as she danced in his arms. Beside them, another pair danced; a tall, masculine shape of her twin brother Lee, mingling with the petite figure of her mother. All eyes were on that couple alone, not on the awkward pair of Ellowyn and her father.

         Whispers broke out amongst the crowd, and soon the room was full of twirling, moving bodies, all enjoying the thrill of the dance. The music slowed to a stop, and the pairs broke off, mingling amongst the others cheerfully.

         Her father, a well-respected man from a well-respected line, took her hands in his, staring into her eyes. For a moment, they stood there, father and daughter, sharing a conversation of looks alone. His eyes danced with love, something rarely seen in the King‘s visions of his daughter. Even Ellowyn felt close to tears, her heart always earning for this moment alone.

         But it was soon over, and her father walked away. A soft pat on the back from her brother, a smile from her mother, and once again, she was standing alone, observing the ballroom. She stood motionless now, the floor as her focus once again, and nothing around her could change that. She could barely hear the murmured greetings of those around her, only the confused mutterings of those who noted her demeanor.

         It wasn’t long before she was hastily removed by her mother, whose hands were softer then her fathers and sent an air of comfort through Ellowyn’s body. Once they were away from prying eyes, the Queen turned to her daughter, kneeling down and looking at her with great worry. Sweeping a stray strand of hair from her daughter’s face, she searched Ellowyn’s eyes for an explanation.

         “Oh, Elli, what ahs you so upset this time? It’s bad for your image to pout around all those people. As a princess, you must be-”

         “Dignified. Proud. Confident. I know Mother. I know.” Ellowyn’s voice came out in a whisper, trailing off as she finished.

         “Then why won’t you at least try to show it?“

         Ellowyn didn’t answer. She wouldn’t meet her mother’s eyes, not even for a moment. How would her mother understand? How would anyone understand? I’m just like every other girl. I have feelings too. Can’t they see that?

         “If you want, you can return to your room. I’d rather that then seeing you walking around in this depressed state. You should be happy Elli. Today is a big day for you and Lee.”

With that, her mother left. Ellowyn watched her mother return alone to the ballroom. Lee. It was always Lee. Always Lee who stole the pride of her parents from her. Everything praiseworthy was done by Lee. Everybody loved Lee, looked up to Lee. Lee never did anything wrong, never set a foot out of line. That was always Ellowyn. Ellowyn was the problem child, even though she did her best to stay on a straight line. Oftentimes, she found herself walking straighter then her brother, but it was always too straight. It had to be wrong, even if she was right.

         Besides that, it was always Lee who was held in high respects by the people. Being the first and only son of the King and Queen, he was in line for the throne, not Ellowyn. The people knew this, and saw him as a strong Prince who would one day rule over them. They failed to see his faults, of which Ellowyn knew nothing but.

         Ellowyn did as her mother suggested, returning to the room she shared with her brother. His clothes were scattered across the floor on his side, and his bed remained unmade. On her side, the only thing out of place was the freshly folded pile of clothes at the foot of her bed. On top of the pile, an envelope caught Ellowyn’s eye. She barely remembered placing it there in a hurry to prepare for the party. She snatched it from its perch and sat on her bed to read the letter. Her name was scribbled on the front, almost unreadable, but the letter inside was much more refined. She recognized the handwriting at once.

Dear Elli,

         I’m sorry I haven’t written in so long. Parchment around here is expensive, and hard to come across. Not to mention the price of actually sending the letter.

         Anyway, I hope you are well. As for me, I’m doing extremely well, given the fact that I will be returning home soon. Tuesday, in fact. I can’t wait to see you again! I’ve missed you so much, and there is a lot we have to catch up on. In the hopes that you will get this letter before Tuesday, maybe we can meet at our usual spot around noon. I hope to see you there. If I don’t, I will assume you either didn’t get my letter, or suddenly hate me, with which I would be greatly disappointed.

Missing you dearly,

Faolan


         Ellowyn held the letter close to her body. Finally, her only friend was returning home! She had grown up with Faolan, his father being a highly lauded bodyguard for her family. When Faolan’s mother had died around the time they were six, Ellowyn’s parents greed to let Faolan come over while his father worked, and was able to play with Ellowyn and Lee. Faolan and Ellowyn became quick friends, sharing the same opinions of Lee and similar interests. They grew inseparable, a duo that everyone recognized.

         Then, Faolan’s father drafted his son into the military. The young boy was sent away from his best friend, leaving her alone for over a year. He wrote her occasionally, but the distant was far, and letters took das to get between them. Already, Ellowyn could imagine her childhood friend, sweeping her small frame into his arms in one of his characteristic hugs. She could imagine his soft words whispered in her ears like old times, and his hand guiding her through the shadowed forests around her castle home. She could feel him beside her, his warm body leaning over her shoulder…

         “Oh great, Faolan is coming back.”

         Ellowyn resisted the urge to throw a punch. She folded the letter quickly and glared at her brother, sitting behind her on her bed. He smirked, amused that he had done such a great deal of annoyance.

         “Don’t you have a party to be at Lee?”

         “Don’t you?”

         “No. Mother told me I could go to bed.”

         “Parties are for staying up late, Els. Not for going to bed early and mooning over letters from lame friends.”

         “At least I have friends.” Ellowyn murmured. “I told you not to call me Els. Its Elli, or Ellowyn. Not Els.”

         “Whatever, Els. I’m going back to the party.”

         Ellowyn glared at Lee as he left, then reopened her letter. Tuesday. Wait. That’s tomorrow!

© Copyright 2011 EllowynAngelle133 (bandgeeky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1805783-The-Candles-Flame-Part-1-Chapter-1