*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820819-Arthurs-tail-ch-6
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by tara
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #1820819
Arthur must learn to except what he has become or risk loosing everything.
ch, 6

         When Arthur walks down stairs and inters the kitchen Jasmine is there waiting for him. Handing him a drink, she says. “Here Arthur.”
         Arthur taking the cup and trying not to look disgusted answers, “Thank you Jasmine where’s Carlo?”
         Jasmine smiling and taking a seat trying to make Arthur feel welcomed she gestures for him to do the same answering. “you are welcome. Carlo will be right back he had to go get something.”
         Arthur taking a drink sits down at the small metal table. When Carlo comes back he is holding a set of gauntlets, handing them to Arthur he says. 
         “Here Arthur, you will need to wear these if you want to go hunting.”          A bit confused, Arthur answers, “Thanks, but why would I need them? If all were doing is hunting animals.”
         Carlo smiling answers, “These will help you, I hope, here put them on.”
         Taking them Arthur instantly become dizzy with the pain that shoots through his head and so weak he can barley stand. Carlo is at his side in an instant helping him stand.
         Carlo helping Arthur says, “Slow down and let’s go outside and see if that helps.”   
         Arthur leaning on Carlo for support makes his way outside into the cool night air. The further away from the warehouse they go the better Arthur feels. Coming to a wooden bench underneath a shade tree that’s at the edge of town they take a seat on it and Jasmine hands Arthur his cup of blood saying.
         “Arthur, drink some, and that should help as well.”
         Arthur dos as suggested and the pain eases a bit in a voice of concern Arthur asks. “What have you done to me?”
         Carlo answers, “It must be the gauntlets, they are not agreeing with you. I am sorry I didn’t know they would affect you like this, however if you want to hunt you must keep at least one on.”
         Carlo helps Arthur take off the right gauntlet handing it to Jasmine who takes it back to the warehouse. Arthur is quite as he drinks and starts to feel a bit better, looking around he sees that the stars light up the night sky and there is half moon, guess Adolfo won’t be partying tonight. Arthur thinks and is surprised to see many people out in their yards all doing different things. Some are mowing yards, cleaning out gutters, or working in the flower beds and others are trimming bushes.
         Smiling Carlo says, “come on I will show you around.”
         With that he helps Arthur stand and they walk down a sidewalk. Walking through town Arthur sees that there are buildings lining both sides of the street and to his amazement some are actually stores. There’s a clothing store, bank, post office, hardware store and novelty shop along with a barbers shop and a church. The only shops that are missing are the ones that sell food and magical supplies.
         Carlo enjoying this time with Arthur says, “You have not earned the right to shop nor to go in the barber shop. If you want a hair cut let me know and we will arrange for it and if you want to go to church it is every Wednesday night as soon as it gets dark.”
         “I thought I wasn’t a slave?” Arthur says not really believing this.          Carlo trying to be as truthful as he can answers, “Your not, we will not force you to work or anything, though there are some restrictions you will have. These are normal restrictions for all changelings. I will try not to treat you any different than the others.”
         “Thanks” Arthur answer like he has hared this a thousand times. Continuing down the street Arthur see some people that are sitting around talking to others. Some are just sitting out on their porch swings enjoying the night. Everyone seems to have a nice house with a yard and many have vehicles of one kind or another, most are cars but some do have trucks or vans. There are also some motorcycles and bikes along with some hover cars and four wheelers. Non of them seem to be to bad off. Everyone they come across greats them or stops to talk. This is like a small town where everyone knows everyone and they all seem very social. They can hear music off in the distance, people laughing and having a good time. Walking further down the road away from all the people and the warehouse Arthur starts to feel more like himself and as fire is his main element he tries to make a small ball of fire instantly he feels weak and dizzy again.
         Carlo places a steadying hand on his arm explaining, “You cannot do magic with that on, or while in the warehouse, you have brought this on yourself.”
         They continue to walk out of the town and with a sigh of relief  Arthur says, “I didn’t loose my powers then?”
         “No, you definitely didn’t loose them. If you had lost them, the Nuckales would not affect you at all. It only affects things that can do magic. Normally it only prevents people from using their powers, but it seems to affect you physically as well, that is fascinating.”
         “What in the world is Nuckales?”
         “All you need to know right now is that it is what the gauntlets are made of and the warehouse was designed with.”
         Arthur thinks to himself, This may be a man I could come to like; he has not once shown anger or looked annoyed by my questions. At this time they pass a mail man that is delivering mail. The only thing that is missing are the kids playing and dogs barking. Other than that this town must look like any human town. There are driveways, roads and even a sidewalk. Yes they seem to have even more than us sorcerers do. Arthur thinks and answers, “I was concerned about losing my powers I have always had them, but this stuff is horrible.”
         “Well now you can stop worrying about that. Come, we will hunt” Carlo says as he starts down a side road that has trees on both sides.
         Arthur follows, and forces himself to stop trying to use his abilities, and that does seem to help, though he still feels a little light headed and weak. With concern he asks Carlo, “I do not have to wear this all the time right?”
         “No, just when you are outside the warehouse. Once I can trust you to follow all the laws here, I will take them from you for good. I will see about adjusting them for you later.” looking at Arthur with concern in his eyes Carlo adds “Arthur if those headaches continue after we hunt, you need to let me know. That way we can see if there is something we can do to help you with them.”          
         “I am used to headaches; I have herbs and things that will help. I am surprised my wife forgot to send my first aid bag for I do not have any of that stuff here.”
         “She didn’t forget we have your sun glasses, spell book and the bag along with the weapons that you had on you, that includes your sword. You must earn them back. This is a good start. I may let you have something back today or a call to your wife.”
         “I would like my first aid bag, even though this pain is different from what I am used to, though the potion probably wont help. On second thought I will take my sword. After all if you want me to fight than I should keep in practice and as I said I well follow your orders. ”
         In a vice full of curiosity Carlo says, “I would think you would want to call your wife.”
         “I am dead to her and that is the way it will remain!”
         Arthur says with such finality that it worries Carlo, trying not to show this Carlo casually says, “I am glade you are welling to follow our lows however I do not wish for you to fight for me unless you want to. as I said you are not a slave however until I say other wise you can not have any weapons or anything to make them with; but I am willing to make a little deal with you. If you write down how to make that potion than I will have someone make it for you and we can see if it helps with these headaches?”
         “Yes, that will be fine.” Arthur answers not quit sure what to make of that, no one had ever tolled him he could not fight, this was totally new to him.
         In a casual town Carlo answers, “Good.” As the big farm comes into view Carlo explains. “Vampires run it and will gladly hire one more to help work it. You can work here and earn money to send to your family. The pay is based on what job you do and how good of a worker you are. I think you will fined it more then reasonable. We sell the milk, meat, wool, eggs and you know we use the blood, we try not to waist anything. There are beef and dairy cows, pigs, chickens, goats, and sheep. We do not have horses, cats or dogs for we do not want anyone to get used to that type of blood. No since making it harder than it already is for us” Carlo adds. “Whenever you come out here, you must ware the gauntlets and have someone with you, at least until I know you can follow the laws. This law is simple; there is no leaving the warehouse, village or surrounding forest without my permission. If you do not follow the laws here the consequences will be severe. If you catch my drift.”
         “I will keep that in mined.” Arthur says well thinking, Yes, this man I could come to like. For here again, he made sure we were alone before saying anything. that way he would not sham me in front of the others. casually Arthur says, “Your town is one of the biggest I have seen for vampires. It is amazing but aren’t you afraid the humans are going to see it?”          
         “Thank you Arthur, and no I am not, it is in our agreement that this is off limits to humans.”
         “I see.”
         With that they enter the woods and Carlo teaches Arthur how to hunt like a vampire. After this they drop the deer off at the butchers place and then head to the warehouse.
         Carlo closing the door behind them, says, “Here let me help you with that.”
         After the gauntlet is off and away from Arthur Carlo hands him a piece of paper and a pen for the instructions on the potion Arthur uses for his headaches.
         “Thanks,” Arthur says as he start to write the instructions down he thinks, I will have to find a way outside without those things on. Luckily, Daron is out for the night. 
         Looking at everyone else Carlo informs them, “You all know the rules the only deference is that Arthur must put on the gauntlets first.”
         They all nod in answer. Handing the paper to Carlo, Arthur says, “thanks.”
         “Your welcome and now you need to call your wife and son so you can talk to them and make sure they are all right.” 
         why is he bringing this up again? Didn’t I make it clear enough that I do not want them involved with this? Arthur thinks and with a hint of annoyance and anger says, “I am sure they are fine, there is no reason for me to call them.”
         “I think you had best call your wife before she tries to do something foolish. She sent me a letter threatening to come and get you, if you don’t call her soon.”
         Raising his voice in anger Arthur says, “What? She had better not ever come here!”
         Carlo calmly replies, “Well that is her plan and she mentioned something about having lots of friends that would help her.”
         “What has she done gone crazy? I will put a stop to that right now! Where’s that phone!”
         Smiling Carlo answers, “follow me and I will show you.”
© Copyright 2011 tara (tara-a at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820819-Arthurs-tail-ch-6