*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820815-Arthurs-tail-ch-5
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by tara
Rated: E · Chapter · Drama · #1820815
Arthur and Alice must learn to except the new changes to their life's.
Ch 5


         For 3 days Arthur is chained in that room with nothing to do but to think.
         What is to become of me, my wife and son? I failed my men they are all dead because of me, what was I thinking? I should have called a retreat at the first sign of Alberto’s clan. I should have known better we were not at all prepared for vampires to begin with. We did not have the stakes or the light boxes that disintegrates them. I was a fool and now my men are dead because of it. I deserve to die for my stupidity and foolishness. What was I thinking? Fighting vamps with weapons made for trolls, we did not even see a troll, where the heck did the trolls go? That still doesn’t mater I deserve death for what I did.
         While he is left alone with his thoughts, he comes to a few conclusions. First I must get out of here. To do that I will play their game and do as they say, second I would like to see my wife and son one last time before I die. Third where did all my powers go? I have no magic at all left and why do I get these wicked headaches every time I try to do magic or try to use my talents. I know as long as I am alive in some way I will want to be with my Wife and son. Yet that isn’t possible, I keep on telling myself, now I am a monster. How can a vampire have a family and I know I will never be able to stay away from them. I may be able to exert more control on some things but this is not one of them. For all of these reasons, he convinces himself that the only real option is death, and every night he has that dream and wake up in pain.                                                       
         
.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
                                         

         Lanis and Alice are now together. Lanis told Alice that Arthur had been critically wounded, his companion is dead and Jasmine’s clan of respectable vampires, took him somewhere, he suspects they have plans to change him, and he gives her Arthur’s luggage bag not knowing what else to do with it. She thanks him and starts to watch Arthur’s past very closely as she explains as best she can to a five year old that his daddy has a very important job to do and will come home as soon as he can. Adolfo and his clan stick close to the ranch just in case they are needed. The third night at the ranch, Alice sees where Arthur is and what had happened. She calmly gets up the next morning and prepares for what she knows must be done. She is determined not to let this come between them. After Billy and her have breakfast she bakes cookies for Arthur with a new ingredient in them and Billy helps her with every thing. She also packs his favorite clothes into his luggage bag along with a letter that she wrote to him. She packs all this up into the bag along with the pitcher Billy drew as she wrote the letter to him. The very last thing she places in the bag is the family portrait of them all, which will be the first thing he will see as he opens up the bag. Just before dusk she heads out to deliver the bag to the vampire village. Standing outside the door, not really knowing what to do, she sets the bag down, knocks on the door and runs behind a tree to see if someone will answer the door. In a few minutes the door opens and a vampire looking around finally picks up the bag and walks back inside with it closing the door behind him. Seeing that the bag made it inside, Alice heads home to her son, and to see what the rest of the night will bring.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .


         Carlo was the one to find it along with the note that she wrote to him personally. After reading the note, Carlo bag in hand goes to see Arthur. Arthur seeing Carlo walk into the room stares in shock at what he holds in his hand. A beat up old bag, worn from years of heard use. Arthur would recognize this bag anywhere and thinks.
         How did he get it? What is he up to now?
         Arthur staring at his bag can see that the emergency snack pouch, as Alice calls it, has something in it, yet he knows they all had eaten the treats she packed the day they left.
         Why is he bringing me this and what is in the pouch. He thinks as he stares at Carlo who smiles and puts the bag on the floor not far from Arthur where he knows Arthur can‘t help but look at it. Carlo trying in vain not to show how Arthur’s rector delights him says,
         “I was just as shocked as you are Arthur. I think your wife knows you are alive and that you are here. Do you know how she found out?”
         He must be joking right? He can’t possibly believe I will fall for this. Arthur thinks and raising his eye and tilting his head down he gives Carlo a you got to be kidding me look answering. “No,”
         Still smiling Carlo says, “If you want this Arthur you are going to need to cooperate with us.”
         Before he can continue talking Arthur says. “Alright Carlo you win, I give you my word, but I am no saint.” Translation he well lesson as long as Carlo doesn’t try to force him into doing anything super bad. Knowing this is what Arthur means Carlo takes a key out of his pocket and chuckles with relief at hearing Arthur‘s old saying he now knows Arthur well be ok.
         “On that we agree.” Carlo answers with a smile and starts to unchain Arthur adding, “Let’s get these off you.”
         Unhooking the last chain Carlo gently grabs Arthur’s arm helping him up. Arthur walks over kneeling down beside his favorite bag he runs his hand over it. Thinking, They can call me funny but some things I am picky about, and this old bag is one of them. My wife gave it to me on our first anniversary and I never take a trip without it. It is like a good luck charm so to speak. What emotion runs through me as I just feel the fine leather of this old worn out bag, it is like I am there on our first anniversary getting the bag for the first time all over again. Boy I could hug Carlo for bringing it to me.
         Smiling at Arthur’s reaction Carlo says, “I see your wife thinks you’ve earned the right for gifts. Now open it so we can see what they are.”
         Slowly opening it, the first thing Arthur sees is a picture of all of them and the one that Billy drew. Carlo looks at them just as shocked as Arthur does, maybe more so Arthur thinks reminding himself that Carlo doesn’t know his wife’s ability and now his son obviously has it too, as here is a pitcher drawn by his son of the room that Arthur is in with him and he has fangs for teeth. On top is written I love you daddy, Can I have fangs too?  Picking it up and placing it to his chest, Arthur is not normally the type to cry but kneeling there surrounded by memories of his wife and son, knowing all he has lost, he finds out vampires can cry as he thinks
         I will never hold them again, feel there touch; make love to my wife, from now on all I can do is watch and that only at night, I will miss them so much. 
         Carlo watching Arthur can only guise at the thoughts that must be running through Arthur’s head, in all his years of watching him Carlo had not once seen him cry. Finely finding his voice Carlo interrupts booth their thoughts asking, “How does he know, it is imposable.”
         Arthur Jumping to his feet and looking at Carlo with a voice full of fatherly protection Arthur says, “You leave my son alone! You and all the others will never touch him! He is only a child and knows nothing of the way things are or were and we plan on keeping it that way.”
         At this moment Arthur decides that he must live to make sure Billy will remain safe and never go through what Alice and he had been through. He thinks, I will live to over see that he grows to be just what he will be without all the death and destruction that his mother and I have lived through. I will make a safe place for him, some how some day.

         A little calmer Arthur says once more, “You leave your hands off my son! Do you hear me?”
         “Billy is safe no one will hurt him, do not worry about that, your family is safe.”Carlo tries to reassure Arthur but not being able to use his ability Arthur feels lost. He has always relied on it to help him make the right chooses and now he feels even more trapped. Gathering up the pitcher and placing it back in the bag and closing it back up Arthur looks at Carlo asking,
         “Can I take this to my room?”
         “Yes you may. I will be up in an hour to show you where the shower is. If you need anything before that I will be in the game room.”
         Carlo answers knowing that Arthur well not go back on his wired and therefore he does not have to worry so much about him.
         “Thanks” Arthur answers and they both walk out the door Arthur is a bit surprised when he hears Carlo say 
         “You’re welcome.”
         As soon as Arthur is up in his room he sets his bag on the big queen size bed, puts the picture of his family on the nightstand beside it and hides Billy’s picture under his pillow. Thinking
         I do not want anyone else to see it. I am afraid they may try to turn Billy if they think he is special like they think I am. However I do not think they will try anything soon, therefore if I cooperate with them for now, later I can protect Billy and Alice from them. Sure the guards will watch over them until they think they are safe or Alice makes them leave. Once they think I’m dead they will see no real reason to protect her especially if Alice orders them to go. Haven’t I always made sure they were safe? Didn’t I protect them before and this is really no different than that, though Carlo hasn’t forced me to kill or really do anything yet. I wonder what his real motives are. I am sure he wants something from me. Everyone thinks I’m supposed to be something special and wants me to kill for them. I am really getting sick and tired of people like that.

         Pulling out his clothes one at a time to place them in the big solid oak dresser, he catches the sent of his wife’s perfume. Holding the shirt up to his nose he breathes in her sweat sent and can’t help but to relax a little and smile. Putting the rest of the things away he can’t help but to keep that smile and remember some of the better times that they have had, the sound of her laughter and the sweat way that she talks to Billy. The way she looks first thing in the morning with her hair all over. He thinks about how well his wife and him know each others habits.
         She has all my favorite clothes and even my Sunday suit. Everything is packed just the way I always pack it when I am going on one of my quests. There are even the sweets she always sneaks in the bag made for my first aid supplies. Because I have a bigger first aid, bag that hooks to the top. She says the small one is for emergency sweat attacks and therefore she puts treats in it. The men and I always look forward to the special treats she makes us, though we never would admit that to her or any of our wife‘s.
         Cautiously taking one out he wonders how bad it will taste to him now. Thinking,
         These used to be one of my favorite snacks, her fresh peanut butter cookies. There is a whole batch of them by the looks, and they are still warm and smell good.

         he takes a bite; it is just as good as he remember if not better. He finishes half the bag and hides the rest under his pillow. All of this somehow makes him feel like Alice is there with him, and suddenly he fells a lot better. Thinking
         At least I can watch Billy and her from a safe destines and I can always protect them.
         Half way through the bag, he comes across his bible with a letter inside the front cover just as Alice always does to remind him she thinks of him as much as he thinks of her. This isn’t the one he had read, this is another one. Pulling it out setting down on the bed he starts to read the three page letter to himself. Still holding it and looking at it not really knowing what to think about it all. He thinks
         Has my wife lost her mind? she wants a monster for a husband. Sure all vampires are not evil, however, they still have to drink blood and therefore they are still monsters. I can’t go home, ever, that would put my family in to much danger. I won’t interfere with their lives. She will eventually move on, if I just stay away and don’t contact her; surly that would be for the best. I would never forgive myself if . . . It hurts just thinking about it.
         He starts to put his clothes away again swearing this is the longest time it has ever taken him to unpack. He no sooner gets to his bag of toiletries when Carlo walks in through the open door commenting.
         “You still aren’t done. What did she do put the house in there for you?”
         Laughing, Arthur answers, “Don’t you dare suggest that to her, she may just try that if you do.” They booth chuckle knowing that if that was possibility, she may of tried it. Carlo smiling asks,
         “Are you ready for that shower?”
         Grabbing up his bath bag and the cloths he chose for today, Arthur answers, “Boy am I ever.”
         He follows Carlo out the door and into the hall commenting, “I am going to need a screw driver later.”
         Carlo knowing it is not the drink he wants shakes his head no and Smiling answers “you haven’t earned that right yet.” 
         Carlo leads Arthur down the hall opening a door about four doors down and to the right from Arthur’s room he smiles saying,
         “Here it is.”
         “Thanks I will be done soon.” Arthur answers while walking into the bathroom.
         “Would you like to try hunting some today?” Carlo asks from the door way. Arthur casually answers,
         “Yes I think so.”
         Smiling Carlo says “Great than I will meet you down in the kitchen when you are done, Just try your best not to drowned well I am gone.”
         “I already tried that, it did not work.”
         “See you down stairs, have fun.”
         “See you then.”
         Carlo closes the door behind him saying. “You will want to keep this shut, it is for privacy.”
         After he is gone Arthur opens the door back up placing his cloak over the opining instead so others will know he is in there he still can not stand to be shut in small places. He takes a shower and feels a lot better as he slips on his own clothes and cloak, thinking boy have I missed having one.

© Copyright 2011 tara (tara-a at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1820815-Arthurs-tail-ch-5