*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829853-The-Battery-Was-Dead
Rated: 18+ · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #1829853
An entry for Flash Fiction on 12/1/11. A bit rough but it's my first try. More to come.
Officer
"Dammit."

After a particularly rough day at work, Chris did not want to deal with anyone else. He'd had enough orders, yelling and demands for the day and whatever the person who'd written this note wanted, he wanted to just simply ignore it and go to bed.

Unfortunately for him, though, he had morals. He couldn't live with himself if he'd simply ignore someone who'd gone out of their way to deliver him a message at 3 AM. So, begrudgingly, he took the paper, headed inside and flipped it open.

The Battery Was Dead
"I hate this city."

Some nutjob had decided to leave him his very own conspiracy theory to mull over. Lucky him. He crumpled up the paper, tossed it and headed for bed. He was exhausted, wanted to put everything behind him for the night.

"The Hell?"

Looked like he wouldn't be getting rest after all. There was another note taped to his bedroom door, same writing and fold.

The Battery Was Dead

Same Message. This psycho had been in his house! Now on top of being exhausted and frustrated, Chris was furious as well.

Thump.

And now he was nervous. Never before had he had to deal with a criminal without the safety of his fellow squad members. The sound coming from his bedroom proved that there's a first time for everything. That being said, he wanted to get this done with quick.

"FREEZE!"

He kicked the door open and almost fainted. He knew this guy! He'd tased him personally this afternoon! Watched him pass out, leaving the world with one less murderer on the run. Granted, he'd had to leave before the sicko was carted off but still...

"The Battery Was Dead!"

The shot killed him instantly as he landed next to the dead taser.
© Copyright 2011 Zachary Scott Hastings (wheeledjustice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1829853-The-Battery-Was-Dead