*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830084-Bitter-Sweet
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1830084
a girl who s friend is dying how will they spend the time they have left
Bitter Sweet
         “Are you sure that’s what you heard?” I asked him. “Yes,” Noel said to me. “But do you believe it?” I mumbled hoping it wasn’t true. “It was my doctor talking to her so I guess I do,” he said finically. “How long did he say you had?” I questioned worriedly. “At the most a week,” Noel answered. I thought about what my life would be without him. It would be terrible.
         “Do you want to go to the fair with me tonight?” I invited. “Sure, sounds like a date. I’ll pick you up at 6:00,” he said quickly. The phone clicked off and I slid  it into my pocket. I rushed upstairs to change my clothes. I put on a nice tee and brown Capri’s. I put my hair in a ponytail and brown eye shadow by my eyelashes.
         Ding dong, my doorbell rang and I hurried down the steps to the door. I quickly turned the knob. His face was strait in front of mine.
         “Shall we go?” he said. I nodded my head. We  drove to the fair listening to country music. The car thudded to a stop in the parking lot. I walked to his side and headed forward.
         His fingers caught ahold of mine. His palm was warm against my wrist. I leaned into his shoulder. In front of me rides towered over me and the smells of corn dogs, fries and elephant ears rushed through my nose. “Which one first?” Noel asked me. “How ‘bout the Ferris Wheel?” I suggested. He nodded and we got in line.
         I leaned on Noel because I was afraid to fall. When it was over we got some food and headed off to our picnic at Lake Superior. It was beautiful.
         The moon looked so bright against the jet black sky. I laid there on the grass next to him. We stayed until midnight listening to the creatures of the forest.
Ding dong, my doorbell woke me up. I looked at my clock to see it was 12:30 p.m., which meant my parents were at work. “Just a minute!” I yelled. I jumped out of bed and pulled on my jeans. I threw a piece of gum in my mouth so my breath wouldn’t smell bad and put my hair in a ponytail. I rushed downstairs and opened the door.
         I couldn’t believe it. When I opened the door the person I saw was Noel. “Hi,” he said. I invited him in and asked him what he was here for. To my surprise he said, “You.” I went and threw out my gum and plopped on the sofa. He sat down next to me and wrapped his arm around me. I grabbed the remote and flicked on the TV. Dang it I thought to myself I missed The Looney Tunes.
         Zzzrooom, the power went out and the TV shut off. “I’ll get a candle,” I said as I got up. I set the candle on the table and Noel stood up and gently pressed his lips against mine. His hand went to my neck, holding me close.
         He slowly moved away and glanced at his watch and said, “I’ve got to go.” “Where?” I asked. “The hospital,” he answered. “Bye,” I told him not wanting him to go.
         Rrrinnngg, my phone started going berserk. I pulled it out of my pocket and answered it. “Come to the hospital quick, Noel’s heart is giving out.” The line was dead. I ran to my car and drove the fastest I could without getting pulled over.
         When I walked into the room I saw Noel laying on the bed. I walked fastly to his side. “How are you?” I asked. “I’ll be alright,” he responded. I turned around and said, “Can we have a minute?”. His parents nodded their heads and walked into the hall.
         “Mary,” he whispered. “Yes?” I said. “I love you,” Noel said to me. “I love you, too,” I said back. Beeeeep, the monitor showed a straight line. “NOOO!” I screamed. He couldn’t leave me.
         Ten years later I invented a cure for his disease. No more people were going to die the way he did.
© Copyright 2011 Mercedes Krou (ezachi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830084-Bitter-Sweet