*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837301-The-Eyes-of-the-Past-Prologue
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1837301
A boy who was once an orphan suffers from his past
Prologue

A father is a protector. A guide. A friend. A father is always there for his child. Lyle Hunt, however, is different. He had been apart from his only son for many long, interminable years. Or at least that is what he had thought. That story was that of his wife. They had  once been a very happy couple, romantically close and serene.

But, one night, one moment, of tragedy, fright, that was near, had changed everything for the Hunt Family. Lyle had once forgotten this tragic night, when he had been forced to fight for his life, his wife, and his son. Even as he walked along the sidewalks in his home, the World of Gold, he could see this night in his mind’s eye. He now remembered what had happened and strived to not snivel at the thought of it. He had his family, which was all he had ever wanted. And he still remembered the day he had met his son for the first time in a long time.

~~~

“Spare change? Spare change?” The boy was near, asking people for donations so he could pay for his next meal. The man had been walking along the sidewalk, thinking of his spouse, when the boy had bumped into him. “Hello. Sir, would you be so kind as to donate a penny or two? I have no money and I am very hungry.” The boy held the can up to his puppy-dog face, his pupils glistening.

The man laughed. The boy stepped back, slightly offended, but something told him that this man was not laughing at him, but at something else. The man smiled affectionately. “I have a better idea.” He said. He made an unfamiliar gesture with his hand, which extended toward the befuddled boy. “Come on.” He whispered.

The boy, uncertain, slowly raised his hand, and placed it onto the
man’s. He smiled to himself. The palm was warm on his cold hand. The man did not seem to mind that he was holding hands with who he thought to be a stranger. “Who are you, good sir?” The boy asked.

The man laughed gently. “You are very polite. Where did you learn such good manners? Did your mommy and daddy teach you? And why are you out here alone?” There were so many questions to ask.

The boy hung his head miserably. “I do not have a mommy. Or a daddy. I suppose I did once but I do not remember.”

“Oh.” The man looked out, at the sky, thinking of his deceased wife. He looked down at the boy and began to walk. “Come with me, boy. Come home with me.”

The boy had never heard such words. “What is a home?”

The man smiled warmly. “A warm, comforting place where one lives, alone, or with people he loves. Oh and, my name is Lyle. What is your name?” He asked.

The boy shivered from the cold, bitter wind. “Alexander.” He whispered.

“Well, Alexander, if you come home with me, I have plenty of food, a television, books, and an extra space on my bed that needs an occupant. I once wished it would be a girlfriend, but now, I think it should be you.”

Alexander could not believe his ears. “Did you just offer me a bed?”

“Not just a bed, a home. Come live with me, Alexander! I will take good care of you, I promise.” Alexander stared up at Lyle. He seemed so kind, good to children. Alexander heard the voice of something more powerful than knowledge whisper in his ears, You can trust him… you can… he is not one of them…go with him… go… The voice seemed to be as soft as a feather and Alexander knew what he wanted to do. Speechless, he clasped his arms around Lyle’s waist and clung to him. Lyle lifted Alexander up onto his shoulders.

“Okay. So would you like to see your new home?” Lyle asked, looking over his shoulder, up at the boy. Alexander nodded his head, excited. “Well then, let us go.”

Alexander clasped his hands down Lyle’s chest and touched his head to his, embracing him. “Thank you, Lyle.” He whispered.

~~~

Lyle still could remember that day, no matter where he went. It had been one of the happiest days of his life. Alexander now lives with him and Maryann, who had been alive the whole time Lyle thought she was dead, making a life all alone for herself in the World of Gold. She had begged Lyle to stay with her, and bring Alexander along, for she wanted to reunite with her son. Lyle accepted and he and Alexander went to live in the World of Gold with her. They now live together there, as a family, their past behind them.

But the past is not forgotten. For Lyle still thinks of the fight he put up for his family now and again. And they still intimidated him very often, these thoughts, for it seemed to happen every day. What Lyle was not aware of, was that he and his son would have to face those horrible moments again as they would strive to stay together, for their friendship, for their family,

for their love.

































































© Copyright 2012 Author221 (petwriting.com at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1837301-The-Eyes-of-the-Past-Prologue