*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877171-A-Mermaids-Dilemma
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1877171
Flash Fiction- A man is saved by a Mermaid and becomes a slave to his love for her.
The early morning hour of nautical twilight launched a hungry flock of seagulls, their desperate wails an audible truth of life on the sea. It was clear and quiet and an unexpected calmness was all that remained of an ordinarily turbulent wave. Lying across the bow of the tiny sailboat he glared with eager anticipation, though patiently, over the side. He would reach down from time to time to touch the crystalline water, sending tiny ripples, shattering his perfect likeness that lay cast upon the surface.

Many years before, while sailing along the same path, he encountered the shallow waters above the massive reef, damaging the keel of his boat. He anchored above it and dove into the water to survey the damage below. What happened between the time he hit the water and the time that he awoke is uncertain, but what he cannot deny is that his life was spared in the arms of a beautiful mermaid.

“Who are you?” he asked.

“I was sent to save you. You were not supposed to wake until after I had secured you to your boat.” she replied.

“You are such a beautiful creature. Please, you must tell me your name.”

“If I tell you my name, the sea will surely swell, the sky will unleash its fury and you would surely die. You have awakened unexpectedly and have seen my face, therefore you have my heart forever, but I cannot stay. I must go back. Glaucus allowed me to save you, but I cannot disobey his wish that I return at once. This is my dilemma.” she explained.

“Will I ever see you again?” he asked.

“Every time the water calms, you will know that I am near. Have peace my love.”

He watched from the side of his boat as she disappeared into the deep, never looking back.

“I will return for you my love.” He said. “I can only hope that you will keep your promise to be near when the water calms.”

Several times a year he returned to the same place along the reef, hoping to catch a fleeting glimpse of his one true love. And then, as always, he would leave in disappointment, already counting the days until his return.
© Copyright 2012 K. Sullivan Pierce (mprikd at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1877171-A-Mermaids-Dilemma