*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1887250-In-The-Future
by ~MM~
Rated: E · Other · Contest Entry · #1887250
A young woman contemplates the future of society - The Future prompt
The girl pursed her lips and thought hard.  In the future, she wrote, war will be abolished.  Advances in agriculture, both arable and pastoral, are already increasing food production in this country and on the continent.  Experimental methods, such as those currently displayed in the Americas, will become commonplace and shortage of food will no longer be a consideration in the outbreak of war.

She sat back and read the statement again.  Daddy’s dinners were boring affairs and the conversations stilted and stuffy, but they certainly enlarged her vocabulary.  She felt a prickle of pride and choked back an unladylike giggle.  Miss Carew had her back to the class, but would whip round at such an unedifying sound.

In the future, poverty, whilst perhaps not ceasing, will certainly have abated to such a level that ‘being poor’ will merely be a term of relativity and not an absolute.  Isn’t that how daddy had put it last week?  She frowned.  Mr Harmond had countered daddy’s argument, hadn’t he?  The poor, it is written, will always be with us.  However, to what extent we allow such poverty to flourish...  She faltered.  How had Mr Harmond tried to put daddy back down?  Irritated, she tried another line of thought; The evolution of mankind is such that each generation betters itself from the one before.  She liked that. 

One only has to look at the ascent of man from our barbaric ancestors to see that within maybe a little as ten to twelve generations, racial hatred and other base emotions will have been eradicated.  She was unsure about the ‘ten to twelve generations’ but it sounded like a sensible timescale.  And if Miss Carew wanted to argue, then she could talk to Uncle Mountjoy who spouted the idea in the first place.



“Time ladies!” Miss Carew’s shrill voiced pieced the classroom.  “Quills down please.”





Word Count: 310
© Copyright 2012 ~MM~ (miget_mushroom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1887250-In-The-Future