*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1907235-Dreker-The-Beginning
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1907235
Something I started, but never fleshed out. Wonder if it has any promise
The dismal, foggy day brought an unsettled feeling upon Dreker’s poor excuse for a home. Dreker was a poor man; his hands callused from the years of toil in the field. He had worked to stay alive, or at least that is what he told himself many times before. Dreker was being in the nature of those who understood deeply the meaning of things. Often he looked beyond the meaning that the place he inhabited had given him, into his own reality. But Dreker also knew that the meanings were subject to change with time. Time had fooled him before. Time changed what he knew to be into something horrid. This world he had grown to discover, had changed its meaning with time. Each second seemed to tick away something that was meant to be, but never was.
Out in the corner of his vacant field, Dreker noticed a crow. There was just one, but it was enough to send chills down his spine. This eerie feeling was not just one of impending doom, but one of isolation. Dreker must move on.
To long had he stayed at this place. This place that had brought him both tears of joy, but also tears of sorrow. Now the hallowed memories would be just like the dust of the road strewn across the countryside, which had all but abandoned him. Abandoned him just like his parents so long ago. The painful memory stung him as he winced in emotional pain. Yes, it was time to leave now.
Gathering up what little possessions he could knowing that they would only slow him down, he departed from his dilapidated shack and made his way down the muddy road. It was early enough so that he would not encounter any of his acquaintances, not that he wanted to. They would all have questions that couldn’t be answered. Or at least wouldn’t be answered. As he reached the entrance to the town in which he had taken residence for some time, he paused and looked back on the place where he had spent a but a brief moment in his life. Bowing his head for only a second he then turned and departed. He had wasted too much time reminiscing about past things. His mind must think of the future if he were too be able to escape.
What it was that drove him to this state was yet to be found out. He had been living on the run to long to remember. His past was blurry, it was like words behind a glass of red liquid, some of the details he could make out, but others were not so clearly printed on the pages of his life. It is a terrible feeling to not know one’s own past, but Dreker lived his life in fear of what it might be like to know it. Something in his past had to have some sort of explanation for this state he was in now. But for him it was too long ago.
Now he moved across the empty fields hastily. Maybe he had become to accustom to living in that old town. Maybe his mind had been slowed by the happiness he had experienced. But was happiness really his enemy? Truthfully he did not know quite yet if it was good or bad. Evil was insubstantial, it just gave an excuse for running. Whatever was after him sure was evil, and that was his only reason for running away. Often times he had wondered what would happen if he had confronted those mysterious people. The wondering slipped out of his reach though because the reality of this situation was all to close. The only thing surreal to Dreker was the fact that he had lived for as long as he did. It is not that he was terribly old. Although his face showed age and wisdom, his smile gave him away. He did not smile much though. He had nothing to smile about. It was that that which gave him no reason to stay. All he had were excuses, and not very good ones at that. It was the life he lived though, and Dreker grew accustomed to it.
© Copyright 2012 WritingInMotion (glarbluk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1907235-Dreker-The-Beginning