*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969715-Let-Me-Explain-It-One-More-Time
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1969715
Contest entry
James lay on his back, his pillow stuffed beneath his head, and stared up at the ceiling. A glossy Gwyneth stared back, smiling.

"You have to pay attention, Jim, or you'll never pass tomorrow's test."

James closed his eyes and pulled up his lip in a smirk of discontent. "Fine!" he let out as he pushed himself upright. "Fine."

He looked at Jonathan, his childhood friend, next-door neighbour, side-kick in mischief and straight-A student. "You know," he began, "us mortals aren't born with an IQ of a hundred and fifty."

Jonathan's expression didn't change, except for one eyebrow being raised.

"Ah, there you go doing that Spock eyebrow thing again!" James burst out, throwing his hands up in despair. "I swear, sometimes I think you're not human."

"Come on, Jim, I'm not--"

"And calling me Jim doesn't help dispell that illusion either," James added with a smirk.

Jonathan sagged slightly and dropped the textbook on the bed. "Maybe you just need a break. Let's go for a walk."

James cast a glance at the alarm clock and smiled. "You know," he began, "one day you'll have to talk to her."

Jonathan quirked an eyebrow. "I beg your pardon?"

"It's five oh three. You and I both know her shift at the diner starts at five."

Jonathan looked surprised. "I swear, I don't know--"

"Oh, come on. You've had a crush on Lee ever since kindergarten."

Jonathan sighed. "Not that again. I do not, nor have I ever--"

"I've told you before, and I'll tell you again, you have to talk to her or you'll never get a chance with her. She's not going to fall in love with you from you glancing at her over a menu."

"Jim, I'm not--"

"Look, let me explain it to you one more time..."
© Copyright 2014 Christophe Desmecht (cappinator at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1969715-Let-Me-Explain-It-One-More-Time