*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973858-I-Met-Death
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1973858
Based off the Death meets Woodsman picture on a io9 Concept art post

Today I met Death.

The day was beautiful and peaceful unlike my thoughts. The sun filter through the trees while the natural sounds of what seemed like nature's heartbeat was in tune with my fast footsteps. Occupied with grief and my determination to make it to Tsoti's house by the sea, I did not not realize I walked into Death until the creature was on the ground.

Death seemed liked a frail fragile creature. To my eyes but no one else's,  Death seemed to struggle to gather strength just to stand. The creature needed the scythe to stand up and look imposing. I smiled politely and behaved as if I did not notice this weakness. However, when Death spoke the essence of my soul trembled and nature's heart stop beating.

I helped Death back to its feet. We exchanged small talk about what a beautiful day it was. I was surprised by how it spoke of beauty and life. As if Death was the reason this all existed.

While Death was doing the exact definition of rambling, my mind began to wonder. What if this was the end? Surely, it could not be but what if the last defiant act of my existence was leaving Arc City? It could not be! I had purpose in my life; a mission that, in my heart, I felt I could only complete.

It was not until two days ago that my life was just a void. That changed when King Theitan entered my home. He captured my mother, who was my only confidant and my only friend, as we were preparing to flee the city. Whatever that blue light she put into the box that once belong to my father was the reason for our fleeing.

She made me promise to get it to Tsoti, her only brother and family, if anything happened to her. She gave me directions to him, as I looked confused at what was happening. The only thing I know of him is the sword I carry. Whatever was happening my mother was scared. She told me to run and not to come back for her. I went back after spending the night in the spot I use to disappear to when I was younger. I could not find her. A neighbor told me that she was beaten and torture in public for being a traitor, like the others, that morning. He also told me that the last thing she said was "Tell her to run."

King Theitan will pay when his head is in my hand. I will make sure of that. Let him take my place in death! Death will not claim me today!

With tears down my cheek and my hand on Tsoti's Sword, I screamed, "I cannot die. Today was not my Death day!" I must have looked like a fool. Death chuckled "Not today." I stood there in awe as Death turned and walked away with what seemed like clouds under Death's feet. Death  looked stronger than before. As the cloak that hung Death's shoulders, swished and swayed in rhythm with Death's feet, the cloak looked as if it was made from a black liquid.

I started to gather my things when an older man, a woodsman by the vest he wore, appeared. With all the things in Arc City, it is rare to see a man practice a skill so ancient. Death asked him what he was doing. As the man was explaining he was waiting for his son and pointing to his woodpile, something changed. The scenery began to go dark. The warm light that filter in through the trees grew cold and distant. Death itself had transform from the rambling creature that was too gleeful about life and beauty to something terrifying that deserved the name Death.

When the man turned around to point out something behind his woodpile, the most beautiful thing happened: I saw Death kill.

Death had the blade of its scythe high in the air. As Death swung the blade down, it was as if there was no weight behind it. The one swing looked like the King's dancers at Feast Day. Graceful, light, and quick. It seemed like nothing to take another's life. It motivated me.

Death gathered itself to look weak but I could see what taking a man's life does to one that is called Death. It makes Death alive and beautiful. Everything Death was saying before made sense.

As Death cleaned the blade on the jacket of the man, Death caught my eye and smiled. Death seemed taller, elegant, and the light that had become cold seemed to warm in its presence.

Death called to me "Today is not your death day, Kida. Not today or tomorrow but one day I shall meet you on your Death day." As Death waved, I had only one thought: "We shall see, Death. We shall see."
© Copyright 2014 AfroMeatballs (afromeatballs at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1973858-I-Met-Death