*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1975692-When-Doves-Cry
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1975692
a brief story of forgetfulness...and forgiveness.
When Doves Cry





“Oh no!!  Valentine's Day!!  Why didn't I think of that before.  And, its almost 11pm.  Only one more hour of this Valentine's Day and if I go home empty handed Betsy is going to be furious with me.” thought Allen. 



My job has been taking up so much of my time lately with all the research and then forms that need completed.  But the reseach is so important.  I know its been hard on Betsy with my not being there in the evenings.  But, she should understand this project could mean so much to our future. 



Allen spotted a corner drugstore open 24 hours and pulled in the parking lot.  “This is the only place open between work and home.  I hope I can find some  object of my affection for Betsy here.”



He rushed up and down the aisles looking for anything that spoke to him.  The cards had been picked over obviously but he did find one that had two white  doves with what looked like wild  violets on the front.  The verse inside was nice; nothing corny. It even played a little tune when you opened it; made one feel like  singing.  Hopefully, Betsy would  sing a little happy tune when she saw it.  A bag of Dove chocolates will go nicely with the card.  Doves...aren't they a like a lovebird? 



Allen walked up to the counter to pay.  The clerk looked at him over top her glasses and frowned.  “Guess she knows I could be in the doghouse”, he thought. 



“Honey, looks like you could use some help tonight,” the clerk said.  “I think I have something that might just do the trick.”  She walked over to a cooler tucked into the corner, opened the door and  pulled out a single purple rose tucked in the middle of baby's breath wrapped in purple tissue paper.  “I think this might go well with the...ah....collection of objects you've selected.  It seems to match your theme.”  And, she was right.  The purple rose and tissue matched the violets on the card and the purple swoosh on the Dove chocolates wrappers.  I hope this works!



I signed the debit form to pay for my various objects, wished the clerk a Happy Valentine's Day and headed out to the car.  The porch light was on when I pulled into the drive.  At least Betsy was looking for me to come home tonight.  That was a plus.  I walked up to the front door and it opened.  She stood there looking at me with a frown and patting her foot. 



“Happy Valentine's Day, Sweetheart!”  I kissed her on the cheek and handed her my gifts.  She grinned back at me and shook her head as she looked at the gifts.  Finally she chuckled, “What am I going to do with you?”  As she opened the card it played  the Prince tune “When Doves Cry” of all things.  Then I remembered...I forgot to sign the card.





Word Count: 499
© Copyright 2014 RoyalMQ (royalmq at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1975692-When-Doves-Cry