*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1990051-The-Tragedy-of-Glendock
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1990051
The Battles of a foreign world filled with very many creatures of an unknown origin.
         Zandon was just a common hunting serpent that was part of the Onozle Serpent tribe that had inhabited the desert portion of Glendock. For hundreds of years the Onozle tribe was able to retain this sparse chunk of desert below the Guilding Mountain Range. The serpents were the only ones that did not go after lands that were plentiful in wildlife and plant life. The Onozles not being a migratory tribe had picked the worst piece of land in the area due to the wars that have strained Glendock for ages. During the territory disputes even though the Onozle tribe holds to their belief system of keeping a neutral stance in all wars. Most of Glendock boasted good climates, extravagant green jungles, and terrain that acted as a magnet for all the wildlife of the area. The slew of monstrous forces that have been back and forth depleting the lands have left the peaceful serpent tribe alone and let them enjoy their barren desert that hosts nothing but jagged rocks and scorching temperatures.

         Zandon had been a rather unsuccessful hunter in the tribe for quite some time. The Onozle were never the most ambitious of the serpent tribes of the land. Most serpent tribes were migrators and would rape land after land and use their mystical limber abilities to defend the spot they were currently depleting at times in less honorable ways. The head of the Onozle, Lutherus had made an amends with the spirits of the water to remain non violent in order to save half the innocent serpents from drowning during the attacks of the Germuts (bird-like demons). As time went on the Onozle lived peacefully as most of the tyrants migrating the area already new that the Onozle territory was not a pleasant area to live. The tribe was content with the area for it contain an unusually large amount of insects and small rodents that fulfilled the serpent's dining needs.

         This Land was all that Zandon and his family had known and they grew comfortable to the way things were. Although cared for by his family, Zandon was often ridiculed by the other tribe hunters for his poor hunting abilities. He was quite slower than the other serpents and often found himself distracted by other activities and waited too long to strike. Being a communal tribe, Zandon's family still received the same distribution of the daily catch as all the other more successful hunters' families. Deep down this saddened the “happy all the time” Zandon because he knew his family, even though they stuck by his side, regretted not being socially accepted by the other snakes of the community. In a way Zandon had always looked for a chance to improve his reputation within the tribe but was unable to improve his hunting abilities or come up with another idea.

         At the end of another disappointing day of hunting Zandon was in the center of the village with the rest of the hunters turning in the daily catch to Lutherus. This was Zandon's least favorite part of the work day because it was the time the other more successful hunters got to have fun at Zandon's expense. As Zandon was taking the daily abuse as he always did the clouds formed a dark gray haze over the desert.  As a part of the non-violence agreement Lutherus made with the ocean spirits they had agreed to give the tribe warning of chaos in the area with a blast of “seasmoke.” As the sky grew grey, the hunters grew nervous but continued to tease poor Zandon, now as a way to distract themselves from what was happening. Suddenly, as Lutherus' prize hunter Fildorf was in the middle of calling Zandon a “turpent”(half turtoise, half serpent) the sandy desert earth shook violently enough to cause the snakes to be lifted up from the ground. At the same moment a large purple colored mushroom cloud of smoke came rising over the Guilding Mountain Range.          

         In the midst of the shaking, Lutherus felt an overwhelming sense of fear come over him; for the signature purple smoke could only mean one thing. The peculiar purple smoke was the signature warning sign of the most violent group of terrorists that had ever made their way through Glendock. The Piraclops were a group of strong, angry, green colored, one-eyed giant pirates that once distinguished all other forms of life in Glendock. The Piraclops had ravaged through the area so many times that they had picked it clean of everything the Piraclops desired. The most sought after resource by the clan of giants being their “magical” stone Perithus, had been stripped from Glendock in its entirety for ages upon ages. This made Lutherus very nervous and curious as to why the piraclops had returned to the area. Before Lutherus could vocalize his unsureties to his hunting crew another shocking sight filled the air above them. Similar to the phenomena of when bats fill the sky a flickering darkness started to slowly shade the entire area of the visible sky. Lutherus then became even more nervous because they realized that another age old tyrant of the Glendock land was flying back into the area after a long unexpected absence.

         The shade of the flickering darkness got closer and the members of the Onozle tribe began to decipher the outlines of thousands of the deadly beasts that were sworn, age old enemies with the much weaker serpents. The vicious dragons got closer and closer when Lutherus finally realized that the group of enemies was heading to the exact spot of the desert Lutherus and his hunting crew were slithering upon. A long time ago the dragons had given up their fight to rule their aqueous sea dragon relatives because the ocean spirits had magically illuminated the ocean water with a substance that was corrosive to dragon skin. When the dragons felt they had met their match they formed allies with the creatures of the sea. Being the wise old leader he was Lutherus knew that the dragons had meant no harm because they would respect the ocean spirits' non-violence agreement. 



                             *-------------------------------------------------------------*



         During the previous Piraclops attack, the dragon's alliance with the world of the sea had been a useful tool in drawing the Piraclops out of Glendock. Due to the brute strength and shear toughness of the Piraclops species, the dragons and sea creatures had to formulate a unique plan to rid Glendock of the giant crew that plagued it for some time. After a long fought out battle the alliance decided to utilize a bit of tricky war tactics. The entire clan of dragons fled Glendock and went back to their native Isla De Drakoninia not too far off the coast of Glendock. The dragons new that the Piraclops would see them as a bigger threat than the less mobile sea soldiers and hoped that the horrible green monsters would take the bait and chase the dragons to the island. The trick worked and the ignorant Piraclops began boarding their ships and heading to the sharp rock of an island the dragons once called home. The ocean spirits then rose up to form a powerful force field around the entire coast of Glendock. The Piraclops quickly noticed that they had been made fools by the two more intelligent forces and got very angry toward the dragons. The Piraclop tribe sorcerer Flemklop came up with a clever way to punish all of the dragons. Flemklop had been working on a special banishment spell but it had been ill received by the Piraclop authorities. The evil clan leaders did not think that this spell was violent enough and preferred to stick to their blood thirsty ways of handling their enemies.

         The Piraclops boarded their ships and raced toward Isla De Drakoninia and surrounded the island. To their dismay the Piraclops realized that they were heavily outnumbered by the flying beasts. They realized that defeating the dragons was not the most feasible option. The Piraclops clan turned hostile due to the overwhelming taste of revenge left in their mouths from the dragon clan's previous trickery. Since both chunks of land nearby were being protected the group of angry demonic giants grew restless started to fight with themselves. Filled with the fear of anarchy and possible mutiny the clan's leaders rushed to the sorcerer Flemklop for advice.

          After conversing with the leaders Flemklop was not reaching a valid solution to the problem at hand very quickly. In the midst of the Piraclop growling session that was taking place Flemklop had a revelation when he remembered that he had just recently perfected the difficult banishment spell. He interrupted the monstrous bickering and told his superiors of his idea to utilize his “useless” banishment spell. The leaders quickly agreed that the quirky Flemklop's prize spell might have a use after all. Flemklop had tested the spell by banishing a bear in a cave in the Aflands. The spell was very effective during this trial for the bear was unable to stand on its feet for the remainder of its life. Flemklop only had two concerns with the use of the spell in this particular situation. The first one being the uncertainty of the spells strength. Since a bear was the largest creature Flemklop could locate he did not know for sure if the spell would work on a drastically larger creature let alone thousands of them. The other factor being, Flemklop knew that all dragons possessed a form of magic from birth and he was worried that they would have the power to negate the working forces of his finely crafted banishment spell formed from the wool of a razerbat, finku dust, and Remblop stone.

         Most likely being the most intelligent member of the Piraclop crew he decided that the spell was the Piraclop's only option and became determined to work quickly. The dragons were already in the process of teaming up on the pirates by forming their special dragon war fire line. The dragons were all lining up together in the perfect spot to open fire on the whole brigade of the dark magic powered ships. Flemklop performed the correct rituals and had the spell fired off in no time at all. The dragons were not quite in line yet when the bluish gray cloud of magic quickly engulfed the Isla De Drakoninia but the spell did not bother them for they failed to realize the spell's effects. The Piraclop pirates were already mobilizing the ships so they would be out of range from the Island size wall of flames that was about to be scorching out of the thousands of angry dragons' snouts. The dragons of course chose their usual “attack first, ask later” strategy and failed to hit any of the fleeing pirate ships. The dragons were enraged at how close they were to roasting the boats and they decided to fly off the island all at once and do another full on strong attack hopefully in range this time. None of the dragons could raise themselves higher than half a wing's length. Flemklop watched the dragons struggle from a distance and was thrilled when he realized that his unpopular spell had perhaps saved the entire Piraclops species.

         The dragons, however, did not quite ever figure out why they were stuck on their native island and unable to fly back to their more recent home of Glendock. This battle being the last time the Piraclops would raid the area kept the dragons banished to their home island. The dragons therefore did not return to the lands of Glendock for a very, very long time. The Onozle serpent tribe had an extended history of battling with their eternal enemies and all they knew was that one day the dragons had disappeared never to return. 



                   *-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------*



         As the dark cloud grew on top of Zandon and Lutherus' group of hunters, Lutherus could not help slightly cringing at the view of his personal life long mortal enemy flying ahead of the other dragons. The demonic group of dragons had been lead by the same infamous, 3 headed “super dragon” Fozipheris since the beginning of time. The unusually ugly and evil beast landed and made his best attempt at being civil with the long hated serpent species. He ordered the rest of the dragon military to remain in the air in attempts to make the serpents feel as safe as possible during his awkward approach.  The dragon leader Fozipheris, once on the ground, slowly proceeded toward the group of serpent bug hunters with his arms raised in the vertical “I surrender” position. Once the dragon clan leader realized the serpents were not attacking he approached the group that Zandon and Lutherus were apart of. “Greetings Lutherus! It has been many ages!” piped the three headed dragon boss simultaneously out of all three mouths. Lutherus frowned and hissed, “It hasn't been long enough!” After a brief chuckle Fozipheris started explaining that they had come in peace and began to tell Lutherus and the hunters the story of the last battle and the dragon's downfall by way of banishment spell. Lutherus now the one chuckling, ended quite abruptly once he got it out of his system and hissed, “Why did you come back here? The land is depleted!”

         “Well,” as Fozipheris continued, “the Piraclops sent a scout out to the island not too long ago to retest the area for that shiny speck of sand that they said they couldn't find out there the first time. Well despite our efforts the scout team infiltrated us and were able to get a positive test sample for their little beloved Perithus. A little later we saw the boats return and they ran us off the island and banished us from going back on it and put up some sort of invisible shield around the whole island so if I send a crew straight into it they just bounce right off of nothing! I'm not sure what those sneaky Piraclops are up to besides mining but I can't figure out why one would need an invisible super shield to protect a mining operation!”

         “So to get to the reason I made such an unexpected appearance... My tribe no longer has a home and we are forced to return to being your neighbors here on Glendock. I would like to propose a boundary being at the highest point of the Guilding Mountains. I will do what I can to keep blood hungry or trouble making dragons out of your territory if you can keep your poor little innocent snakies from getting too curious.” Lutherus just glares at the 3 headed creature. And then, finally says, “Isn't there some where else you could go like the Ruins of Tarbithes?””Ha ha ha! That's really funny! Unfortunately we are still dragons and you are still serpents we will live where we choose! I just am trying to play nice guy with you and the oceans whole non-violence thing!” With the rude statement the beast jumped up and flew away and over the Guilding mountains getting trailed by hundreds and hundreds of single headed dragons.



                   *------------------------------------------------------------------------------*



         As time went by the dragons and serpents alike obeyed by the treaty and were rarely seen on the wrong side of Guilding Mountain Peak. For many many daybreaks after the dragons made their surprise return, both parties avoided one another as promised. Things in the new founded Dragon Kingdom of Glendock operated smoothly for a rather long time. The dragons studied the Piraclops and were able to acquire the skill of mining from the evil giants. The dragons utilized this skill to determine  the mineral makeup of their sector of Glendock. While they did not locate any of the worldly famous gems or the Piraclop's prize Perithus, they were able to tap into a large collection of the soil deep down in the earth that after the extraction process contained the special yellow and purple swirl dragon healing stone Zulopin. The stone almost worked as a miracle drug for dragons with its species specific healing qualities. However, the dragon's special rock was seen as worthless to nearly every other species imaginable. They continued to scour the area unable to find any other valuable mineral. Many eager dragons were disappointed that the land did not pour in precious gems as their native Isla De Drakoninia had for the undeserving Piraclops. Most of the mining operations were ceased once an amount of Zulopin deemed necessary was acquired.

         One small mining group consisting of three dragons called themselves “The Healing Company.” This mining group consisted of the well known trio of dragon con artists of the tribe. The brains of the operation was Valen, on his side were two slightly larger but vastly dumber more brute-type dragon brothers Andor and Antaf. This group of dragon miners could not seem to find enough of the precious dragon stone even though most miners with the recommendation of dragon leader Fozipheris had stopped their destructive operations. Valen and crew continued to tear up the dirt of Glendock, digging deeper and deeper, and finding a smaller and smaller percentage of Zulopin. The demand of the dragon's enchanted pebble had sky rocketed as the dragon population of Glendock tripled over time. By this point Valen and “muscle” had grown their small mining group into a huge corporation that was quickly swallowing up the land of the dragon's sector of Glendock.

         The fearless leader Fozipheris now seen as old and fragile decided that he had sat back old and tired long enough and remembered that he did not agree with “The Healing Company's” decision to continue mining in the first place. Being familiar with the way Valen liked to run business, Fozipheris knew that he had to step in and take charge of the potentially hazardous situation. The leader hesitated until the mining operations got right up to the peak of the Guilding Mountains (the agreed upon border between the dragon and serpent's territory). Knowing that it would be a big mistake to upset the spirits of the ocean by trespassing into the serpent's designated area. The brave leader then went to Valen himself and tried to reason with him and get him to stop the mining operations. Valen being a business oriented dragon was not motivated to shut down his now very successful and popular mining operation due to Fozipheris's fear of water ghosts. Once Valen's brute brother duo escorted the nimble dragon king away from the mine property. Fozipheris became furious because this was the first time in his eternally long reign that anyone had blatantly disobeyed his direct orders.

         The king made the most logic decision a leader could make and chose to foster up support from the rest of the Glendock dragon population. Fozipheris was confident that he would be able to attract enough dragon citizens to support his cause. Early on in the controversy the leader's decision to stop mining was well supported by the majority of the dragons. Now that “The Healing Company” had mined the precious healing stone for a decent amount of time, the dragons got accustomed to having a large stock of their special remedy at all times. The dragon population had also drastically increased causing the demand for Zulopin to double. The dragon leader's previously popular decision to cease the mining of Zulopin was now not so popular due to the change in living situations since the dragons returned to Glendock. Therefore, when Fozipheris rallied the dragons citizens toward his cause the town was forced to split almost perfectly in half based on pro-mining or anti-mining views. This split in interest caused a civil war within the tribe of dragons. Since Valen had ran the mining operation he was the most wealthy dragon in Glendock.          

          Valen now realizing his mining operation had more support then before put together a large militia. Fozipheris stuck to his guns for he still had the thought of the ocean spirits treaty in the back of his head. The dragon boss had a good feeling that once the land occupied by the dragons had been mined dry of Zulopin, Valen and his brutes would plan to invade the serpents territory. The dragon master was afraid that the ocean spirits may retaliate if Valen and his rebel dragons decide to invade the serpents territory. Fozipheris would have told the angry rebels about this small detail but the dragon's territory was already engaged in a full fledge civil war dragon style. Valen had anticipated Fozipheris would try to prevent him from expanding his mining operation into the great deserts of the serpent's land. Valen then strategically ordered his entire militia excluding Andor and Antaf to viciously surprise attack the elite troops commanded by Fozipheris. The rebel dragon militia pulled off the surprise attack with perfection. The rebels kept all of Fozipheris' troops occupied and surrounded with their surprise attack. In the mean time, Valen and his bodyguard brothers slipped into serpent territory to handle a special, secret mission.

         

                             *-------------------------------------------------------------------------*



         Zandon sighed a big sigh of relief when he reached his destination inside the dark and loomy caves just below Fraigel Rock. The sneaky serpent always liked to sneak away from the group of other hunters just after mid-day. Zandon's excuse was that he knew of a special hunting spot that had a large pack of mice. This excuse was losing its effectiveness since he rarely came back with any catches. He kept telling the other hunters that the pack kept slipping away but he was figuring out their patterns and one day he would get the biggest mouse ever seen.

         The real reason Zandon liked to sneak away was to find peacefulness to himself in his sacred spot he had found on accident one day. At the bottom of the large egg shaped rock that stood out tall on the very outer part of the Mafflepaff Mountain range bordering the desert. The Mafflepaff Mountain range was located on the opposite side of the desert the Guilding Mountains(dragon territory border) lay. This part of the desert was the most desolate and quiet part of the entire serpent territory. Zandon was out exploring hunting areas and went straight towards the giant egg that stuck out at the far end of the mountain range higher than the other lower foothills of the monstrous Mafflepaffs. As he neared the  somewhat unknown Fraigel rock he noticed a yellowish orange fog seeping from the very bottom of the rock. As he neared the bottom of the rock he felt a cool breeze and a since of relaxation engulfed his body.

         He followed the pleasant smelling yellowish orange fog to its source. He found the fog was flowing out of a dark and scary looking cave positioned at the rock's base. He hesitated at first but then his curiosity overtook his fear and he entered the cave. Inside he found a pleasant living area that had obviously been abandoned for a very long time. The area had seating areas, a bed, and a writing desk. It looked as if some old time scholar had used this cave as his hideaway at some point in the past. Zandon liked what he saw and decided he would come back everyday to enjoy peaceful time alone and make up an excuse for leaving the pack everyday.

         This time Zandon entered the cave and enjoyed time to reflect to himself. Zandon felt he needed this peace after dealing with the criticism of his fellow hunters all day and the hard work of being a parent at night. Today though was different Zandon was in his usual soft sitting spot and he had an uncomfortable feeling in his gut. This awkward gut feeling was accompanied with thoughts of his family. He was a little frustrated for this was why he abandoned everyone and went to this secret area so he could clear his mind of the stresses at home temporarily. He tried for awhile but the thoughts lingering inside his small snake brain turned into worries. He still tried to depress these feelings determined to enjoy his daily alone time. The worries failed to exit his mind but got worse and worse as he sat inside the cave. Finally, he had had enough and decided to leave the cave earlier than usual and head back to the serpent's village.

         As he neared the village he noticed that it was still very quiet as if he had never left the far side of the desert. He got closer and closer and still did not here a sound coming from the usual busy village.  He reached the edge of town and noticed that it was in fact completely empty. He then started to panic realizing that the worries he felt in the cave were somehow real. Every serpent in the village including Zandon's family had disappeared possibly unexpectedly. Zandon searched the entire village and did not find a single moving thing! As he neared the far end of the village he happened to hear a noise coming from a distance. He moved quickly toward the noise and peered outside the edge of the village.

         He finally was able to visualize the source of the noise and was terrified at what he saw. Out a little distance in the desert Zandon saw 3 dragons talking loudly between themselves. He could not see what they were standing around but just knew deep down that the dragons must have something to do with the empty village even though there was supposedly a peace treaty between the serpents and the dragons. Although this scared Zandon he realized that he must try to approach the dragons without being seen in order to diagnose the situation. He thought that he might be the only serpent that was not yet captured or perhaps killed! He then started gaining courage and decided to embark on his mission to unveil the location of the other serpents and the reason dragons were on forbidden territory.

         As he neared the three dragons Zandon noticed the three of them suddenly disperse and start walking the opposite direction Zandon was approaching. Seeing this as the key moment he sped up to see what the beasts were huddled around. As he got to the location he saw the dragons standing in before, he noticed what looked like a trap door leading underground located in the middle of the desert. He got to the trap door and realized that it was a locked gate sitting on top of a giant hole in the ground. Zandon slithered on top of the trap door and veered through the metal gate in order to inspect the contents of the hole. Inside the hole he found what he had feared the most, all of his fellow serpent tribe members were locked inside this makeshift prison.

         “Hey!” Zandon yelled into the hole filled with his serpent friends and relatives. He heard the sound of scuffling and mumbles coming from the hole. “Hey its Zandon!” the only free serpent left of the Onozle tribe screamed into the hole filled with the remaining serpent prisoners. “Zandon!” screamed a random voice from the hole. “Hey! What happened?!” screamed Zandon back into the hole. “The dragons came and forced us into this hole!” the voices yelled. Zandon sat for a second trying to figure out why the dragons would suddenly decide to break the treaty. “Zandon, help us!!” screamed the voices from the hole. “Yeah, right! Its Zandon! We're doomed!” replied a different voice. “I can help!” Zandon said boldly, then asked “Do you know where they went?” “They said something about surveying!” the unknown voices answered. Zandon pondered on this thought for a moment and said, “I'll be right back!!” “Be careful!” “Yeah, right we're dead!” hollered a couple of serpent prisoners.

         Zandon stepped away from the trap door and looked out onto the horizon to see if he could visualize the three dragons. He noticed two in the distance and he saw one that appeared as if he was heading back towards Zandon and the trap door of the makeshift serpent prison. Zandon tried to think quickly and figure out a good plan of action for this situation. He struggled on forming an idea that he believed in with full confidence. The best he could come up with was to find a good hiding spot so the dragon would not see him. Coward! Zandon thought to himself. Why can the only idea he can come up with is the cowardly one of hiding? Frustrated with himself, he then realized that any other plan would be ignorant. With this thought, he quickly looked all around the trap door for a hiding place. This effort was hopeless because they were in the center of a giant desert and there was nothing in sight but sand. This part of the desert lacked a single bush or slight declination in the sand to use as a barrier.

         Suddenly a thought entered Zandon's mind, Sand! Sand is the answer! Zandon thought almost out loud. He realized that he could slither into the sand and be hidden with a small layer of the sand from the desert on top of him. He quickly slithered a short distance away from the serpent's prison door. He then began burying himself into the light brown colored sand of the great Glendock desert. Once he was able to fully submerse his body into the sand he poked out a hole for his head to use as a peek hole. As soon as the extra sand cleared from his eyes he could see a mean, but somehow smart looking bluish green dragon heading towards the trap door area.

         As the evil mine owning dragon Valen approaches the trap door leading to the hole filled with innocent serpent prisoners, he hears many screams coming from inside the prison hole. “Zandon! Zandon! Are you still there?!” the prisoners locked in the dungeon dug deep into the desert screeched. “What?!” shouted the vicious dragon Valen who is responsible for isolating the serpents inside the hole without giving a reason. “Who the hell is Zandon?!” growled the giant bully.

         Zandon in the mean time was nestled under the sand in his last minute hiding place watching what was going on outside the trap door. Slightly terrified he watched the intimidating dragon look angrily into the hole. Zandon could hear the other serpents screaming his name from the hole and knew that he was running out of time before his cover was blown and the evil dragon spotted him. His anxiety grew when he kept thinking that he must act now or risk being seen by a seemingly unstable large dragon. At the moment the large bluish green Valen shouted his name, some strange sensation grew and grew inside of Zandon until he felt an explosion come from deep down inside.

         With an unusual blast of energy, Zandon leaped out of his sand hiding spot and into the air. While in mid-air, he thrusted his tale toward the unexpecting dragon who was bent down with his nose a hair from the trap door of the jailing pit. Zandon's tail lunged then wrapped all the way around the legs of the dragon. Zandon then threw his tale backwards heaving the large dragon onto its back. The shocked dragon laid on the ground with his legs wrapped up by the serpent's tale and an unfamiliar serpent was standing upright over him. “I am Zandon!” replied the brave serpent. “Grrrrrr!!!” Valen grumbled as he threw his torso upwards in an attempt to grab the snake by its throat. Zandon reacted quickly to the move of the great dragon and twisted the rest of his body around the entire upper torso of the dragon locking its arms and wings. Now the two creatures stood face to face and glared angrily at each other. The evil dragon Valen's eyes turned a bright red color as the dragon's scream interrupted the  desolate quiet of the desert, “YOU ARE ONE DEAD SNAKE!!!!” Zandon just hissed in reply. At the same time Valen open his mouth as wide as possible and his head leaned back preparing to unleash a deathly fury of flames aimed right towards the cocky serpents face. At this instant Zandon shot out his tongue and used his sharp double pronged snake tongue to his advantage. His tongue blasted out of his tiny serpent head with such force that it pierced through the soft part of the dragon's lower jaw. The tongue proceeded through the lower jaw and into the dragon's huge tongue. With a large amount of momentum pushing it, the sharp tongue of the serpent went right through the dragon's tongue and into the roof of its mouth. Zandon then pushed his tongue out of the two nostril holes located on the upper jaw of the dragon. He then slid the tip of his tongue back towards his tongue's base and wrapped the two tongs around its own base. This maneuver Zandon pulled off with his slippery snake tongue locked Valen the dragon's jaw and pinned his tongue to the roof of his mouth in such a way that Valen could not breathe fire scorching his victim's face.

         In what appeared as one quick, swift motion Zandon the weakest serpent of the tribe was able to put the most dangerous of all dragons, Valen into 100% full submission. Once Zandon realized his opponent was helplessly stuck with no way to defend himself, he screamed “WE WILL KEEP OUR LAND!!!” Right after these words bolted out of the serpent's mouth he turn around to realize that two more dragon's had just rushed up behind him. Feeling defeat Zandon went limp and released Valen from his hold. Valen was heaved into the air then crashed down onto the ground. At this very instant the sand beneath Valen began to rise up and swirl around him in a giant tornado shape. “You will no longer destroy the earth of the great land of Glendock!” Shouted an extremely loud voice coming from nowhere. The sand swirled all the way around Valen until he was completely engulfed in sand. The giant sand swirl then sucked back down into the earth taking the evil, land stripping dragon with it deep down into the depths of Glendock.

         The other two dragons just froze in shock and looked at each other nervously. Zandon stood his ground and stared straight at both of the even bigger dragons. Andor and Antaf then both at the same time bailed in the opposite direction and took off running, then flying frightened to death of the magical swirling sand and the supernaturally strong serpent. “And stay away!!!” yelled the now cocky serpent Zandon. Not wasting any more time Zandon unlocked the trap door and started helping his thankful serpent friends and family out of their dungeon in the ground. His fellow serpent friends were very thankful of Zandon for rescuing them. Many of the hunters that were always mean to Zandon apologized and admitted that they were “wrong about him.” After Zandon pulled all of the serpent prisoners out of the hole one at a time they all decided to return back to their village.

         Once the marching group of serpents returned to their village the Onozle tribe's leader Lutherus gathered all of the serpents in the center of the village to give a speech. Lutherus' speech was pretty short and to the point speaking about the normal things a leader would address in this kind of situation. He praised all of the members of the Onozle tribe for remaining brave and sticking together. He especially praised Zandon's surprise heroism and apologized from all of the citizens for ridiculing him and making fun of him. Lutherus went on to explain that the whole tribe obviously underestimated Zandon and that he would be treated with nothing but respect from here on out.

         As Lutherus was speaking to the serpents of the village, the audience looked up and saw a huge shadow in the shape of a dragon in the sky. The shadow grew larger and larger and the serpents knew that the beast was heading straight towards the middle of the village where they were all standing listening to their leader's congratulations speech for the “Dragon Slaying Serpent”, Zandon. “Oh great! Not again!” Lutherus thought to himself as the frightening shadow grew large enough to darken the entire crowd of serpents. As the giant three headed dragon, Fozipheris landed the crowd of serpents began to tense up. Then a random voice called out, “It's ok Zandon is here!””Yeah, get him Zandon!””Zandon, the dragonslayer!” the voices continued. “Do not worry! I come in peace!” belted three voices in unison coming from the enormous mean looking dragon's three heads. The ferocious looking but kind acting dragon leader landed next to the gathered group of serpents.

         “I have come to congratulate 'The Hero Of Glendock', the spirits of the ocean and earth are calling your brave serpent warrior, Zandon,” the lead dragon exclaimed. “Your great hero Zandon did the entire land of Glendock a favor by ridding us of the powerful rebel dragon, Valen!” “The spirits of the earth were deeply angered by Valen's irradical greediness and land slaughtering means for self profit! The spirits of the sea felt the uneasiness of the earth spirits and were upset with the entire clan of dragons for Valen's breaking of the age-old treaty! Valen had caused a civil war within the civilization of the dragons of Glendock due to his greedy excess mining of that evil gem, Zulopin!” “The havoc Valen has wreaked will effect the land of Glendock for ages, but the toughest serpent of the land, Zandon stepped up and was able to stop the beast before he caused irreparable damage to Glendock forever!” “Everyone owes great praise to this unexpected hero and warrior! For he was the one who saved Glendock from one of the most destructive villains it has ever witnessed!” The whole crowd of serpents cheered for Zandon. “And to show their thanks,” the three headed dragon leader continued, “the spirits of the sea and earth have decided to give the hero Zandon a special gift!” “The two spirits have decided to unite together and give him a gift that no other creature has received!” “The spirits of the ocean want to give him the title 'King Serpent Of The Sea!'” “Along with this great achievement the  spirits have decided to combine and give Zandon the unique powers to survive on both the land and under the sea!” “With this title and these special abilities Zandon will work as the ambassador and communicator between the spirits and creatures of the sea and land!”

         As the great dragon leader Fozipheris spoke these words a gigantic mist of water and a huge cloud of sand held together a special blue and tan shiny crown. The two clouds, being the spirits of the seas and earth taking physical form, together placed the special, enchanted crown on top of Zandon's small snake head. As the crown touched Zandon's head a tornado of water and sand circled around Zandon's entire body. After this a flash of light was seen and then standing in the middle of the dissipating water and sand cloud Zandon, was seen boasting a new found confidence. He stood in the midst of the water/sand tornado and appeared as if something was boosting his spirit. He now was not only a great leader of the seas but was the respected liaison between the two worlds of land and ocean.

         Zandon was relocated with his family to a grand palace that was both under water and on land nesting right on the shore separating land and water. He held his new position with much integrity and was grateful of all the spirits and creatures of Glendock for giving him the opportunity to hold a position of power and importance. He felt blessed that he was able to give his family a better life than he had before being the worst hunter of the village. Now Zandon and his family can be proud of their heritage and the person Zandon truly was.



                                                 ---The End---
© Copyright 2014 Harry Lyons (budtprice at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1990051-The-Tragedy-of-Glendock