*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041854-The-Assassins-Playground
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Thriller/Suspense · #2041854
Optimism is nothing in the light of death.
The Assassin's Playground
By Chloe Partridge

PART ONE OF THREE


"Put your heart, mind and soul into even your smallest acts; this is the key to success."
Swami Sivananda


Chapter One: Lifeless Obsessions


They were coming. It made no sense, why were they coming? The men in the masks; those abhorrent, soul-piercing masks. The were coming - and they were going to kill every last fiery ember of hope we had the capability to gather.

You had to be God-like to survive.

Of course, we knew that. Luke and I,- even Connor to some extent - knew what fate awaited us if we were to get caught;
Death.

After looking around trepidatiously, Luke's tender, turquoise green eyes met mine, his pupils riveting with perturbation. I had never seen him in such a state before in my life. Luke was always so calm and rational; always fulfilling the "mature big brother" role. Although, he always felt like he had to. Otherwise, who else would fill his shoes and protect us? This question was, of course, rhetorical, as there was no clear answer.

A horse whisper escaped his dry, bitten lips as he hoisted the sleeping Connor onto his shoulders: "Gigi, you need to go. Now." This wasn't a suggestion - this was an order.

He swept strands of my long, messy, mousey brown hair behind my ear as he crouched down next to me, shaking, and smiled nervously.

"I need you to be brave... For me... For your little brother... Can you do that?"
"D-Don't treat me like a child!"
"Gigi, this isn't the time!" he sighed sternly as the sudden raise in the tone of his voice woke our brown-haired, optimistic, troublesome little brother, Connor. He began rubbing the sleep out of his tired eyes, then casually glanced in my direction.

"What's the matter, Gee? You look sad. Don't be sad! Be happy!"
"Gigi, if there's anything wrong..."
"-Nothing's wrong...It's just...."

Without warning, Luke grasped my arm with a sudden force, his pale white face expressing a genuine rush of worry as his head tilted to the left in inquisition.
"What?"
"All of this... It's just a bit sudden... Why are they coming now? It doesn't make any sense!"
He began to subtly bite the edges of his light, pinkish lips, like he always did. Nothing told me that something was wrong with him like when he began to bite the edges of his lips.

"You wouldn't believe me if I told you... You wouldn't want to believe me..."
"Tell me!"
"They know. They know about the playground..."

***


Wow... If your still reading this, you have a lot of patience... But I PROMISE! I shall answer your questions about what is going on somewhere in the near future! Probably... I now know where I want this chapter to end, so I shall be giving you another update within the next few days! Arigato gosaimasu! - Slug Bug x


© Copyright 2015 Slug Bug (slugbug at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2041854-The-Assassins-Playground