*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2048669-Nevas-Story
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Tehpip
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #2048669
This is just a rough draft of the first chapter of a novel I'm working on.
It was early, the first sun just a thought on the horizon. The sky was no longer the black of deep night, but instead, the beautiful purple of a new day. Throughout the city, those whose jobs and tasks required them to rise before the sun were making their way through the Moonstone streets. The pale glowing roads wound in twists and turns around the ancient hardwoods that were the homes to the elves. Bakers, smiths, herbalists, and of course the guards, all heading on their way. Of course there were others as well, since this was a special day. On the training grounds, a young female elf stood quietly, meditating, perfectly still, her staff standing perfectly parallel to her body.
Her dark purple hair blew in the early morning breeze, the color almost matching the sky. After a moment, her striking blue eyes opened, and she began weaving through a series of simple seeming maneuvers with her staff, albeit at a pace that most people would not recognize as fighting tactics. As she completed each maneuver, she held the finishing pose for a count of five heartbeats, before moving on to the next. To an untrained eye, it would seem a simple dance, something to teach to young children who were just learning to use the staff to protect themselves. To a master of Ki'antian, the fighting style she practiced, it was a beautiful and difficult kata, which strained the muscles involved. To Princess Neva, it was merely a stretching exercise. She prepared for her masters tests today, and wanted to be flexible and ready.
In a shadowed corner of the training ground, another elf watched with a mixture of pride and sorrow. This was Adelle, and she was as beautiful as her daughter, if paler. Her purple hair, which was once the color of early dawn, was now the color of a winter plum. Her blue eyes, once the depth of the seas, were now mirrors to the sky on a cloudless summer day. Her pride made those eyes sparkle, as her daughter moved with a grace that she could never master in Ki’antian. Her sorrow was not from this display, but what must come after.
In the elvish society, rule was held by the females. Their magic was more positive, healing, nurturing, life giving. They were the ones that molded the trees to the homes they lived. Females were more natural leaders, more willing to look to the good of the whole society, not just immediate concerns. Males’ magic was more destructive, and their thought process was similar in nature. As such they were better at protecting the woods, and the society, from outside forces. Males also were better at negotiation, often looking for the best deal, and as such were often also businessmen.
This universal truth to the elves is where the sorrow that shadowed Adelle’s face now came from. It is because while Neva was to become a Master, one of the youngest Masters ever in fact, she was achieving this at the same time her elder sister, Del’nal, also achieved Masters Status in magic. Since the throne is not passed naturally to the eldest, but to the one that shows true dedication by reaching Master status in at least one craft or skill. The fact that both were reaching Master at the same time, meant that the Challenge must be invoked.
The Challenge was an ancient tradition, dating back to when the elves first settled in this land. The Challenge was a test of skill, where the participants battled each other to determine which could think on their feet the best, and who could use all the skills they possessed to lead. The Challenge, once issued, takes place ten years to the date. This time frame was written in, so that each of the participants would have time to learn and perfect other skills.
As she pondered the Challenge, and the trials that it could lead to for each of her daughters, a messenger of the guard approached. “Your Highness, I am sorry to intrude, but the Ambassadors from the Dwarven Nation have arrived, and the meeting for trade negotiations will begin soon.”
“Ah, yes, I had almost forgotten. I will be there presently” She responded, taking one last glance at her daughter as she held the final pose in her Kata, one leg behind her, body parallel to the ground, staff out in front in a final thrust. Then she walked away, her daughter never realizing she was there.
© Copyright 2015 Tehpip (pippi18848 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2048669-Nevas-Story